Paris to Dacre.. a cross Ontario Adventure!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by osteo, Jul 10, 2006.

1. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    A few years ago 2 different people came up with the same idea of running an organized ride with limited numbers going from Paris Ontario to the small town of Dacre Ontario (north of Ottawa). As the crow flies a total km of something like 400km. BUT, when creative minds look at a topo map and backroads, access roads, skidoo trails, etc... a route that in reality is more like 780km!

Well, last year one of the creative minds put on the 1st ever Paris - Dacre event and it was a large success, with guys chomping at the bit for the next year. (alas I missed it :cry )

This year, the 2 creative minds put their resources together and changed the route and with various sponsors hosted a fantastic event that had a limited number entry (48 I think was the final count) and was done in teams.

The event was to start at 4:00a on Saturday and the cut off time was 21:00 the same day. There were Check points along the route, lunch stop was arranged and to be safe due to the terrain, rider fatigue and the simple fact that this was NOT a race :eek1 2 Bail Routes were included that would by-pass some of the more difficult sections later in the route.

The event was given as a GPS route, and each team (min 4 riders) had to have at least 3 functional GPS units, and be self sufficient with tools/supplies to service all bikes, considering some of the route had you in some pretty remote areas.

They had support trucks with trailers at various check points, sweep riders as well as 2 roving riders (I was a Rover! :D ). But each team was responsible for themselves, but in dire straights could rely on the support of the organizers. There were cell phone numbers given and 2 satellite phones on the course at all times. (again, this was NOT a race).

o.k., enough text... now some pics... :thumb

[​IMG]

Registration consisted of 3 stations...
    Sound check (I was the sound man, so no pic's!) if you were >96dB you had to make changes to your pipe to meet the requirements.

Tech Inspection (basically a road worthy inspection, everything was checked from DOT tires to lights, bearings, etc...)

[​IMG]

Then you went to actual registration (your bike had to pass first) where you got your riders card, team card, and uploaded your GPS if necessary
    [​IMG]

You ALWAYS have to have a couple 950's!! :thumb :thumb
    These were the Roving bikes!! :D
    [​IMG]

Some of you know Jack Splash... well he drove up from New Jersey to attend :clap :freaky

And we put him through the inspections like everyone else... his KTM 640 blew the sound meter at 105 dBa - much too loud... :ear so he had to go find a means to quiten down his machine. With some inner tubing attached to the end of the pipe he dropped down to 97dBa which we gave him a time penalty and allowed him to pass.

At the 2nd inspection, his wheel bearings failed... and again he was denied. Rules are rules... and an unsafe bike is unsafe. Luckily at 5:00p on a Friday in farm country the local farmer parts store stocked Skidoo bearings... which as it turns out are the same size at the 640 wheel bearings (and much cheaper!!!) - Jack both 3 of them! (a wise move!).

[​IMG]

Riders Meeting, in which FastEddy and John are going over the route, cautions, etc... the biggest thing for the riders to remember was at way point #178 at the water crossing you MUST stay to the LEFT as the hole will swallow a bike whole! (some may recall the pic of Osteo on his 950 trying to be a submarine, this is what they were to avoid!). :norton
    [​IMG]

Breakfast at 3:00a
    [​IMG]

Gearing up at 3:45a
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On route, 6:00a
    [​IMG]

6:30a, the sun will come up!! finally!!! lots of road signs like this... perfectly legal though! :wink:
    [​IMG]

And the water crossing - the really long one was removed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some people have great listening abilities when it comes to warnings...
    [​IMG]

Jack Splash, living up to his name!
    [​IMG]

And some people do NOT :eek1 :lol3 ,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Personally if I was sitting in a water hole, I would not be waiting for the next person - he was lucky the water level had dropped about 12" over the past few weeks...

[​IMG]

As he did get out... but after sitting there with the bike off for a few minutes :norton

[​IMG]

Probably about 200km of this type of access road, and in places much much tighter.
    [​IMG]

The final Control Point... the mosquito's, black flies and horse flies were out in full force...
    [​IMG]

We had to wait here for 60min ... you do what you can to stay sane.
    [​IMG]

Clearly they affected some more than others! :eek1
    [​IMG]

My diversion took me around the corner to this little guy eating!
    [​IMG]

lickity split! the nicest ass I saw all day :lol3 :lol3
    [​IMG]

From that final Control Point Dirtinblood and I had to sweep the final 60km or so in the dark in the woods, good thing we had aux lights on our bikes otherwise we would still be out there.

This was the next morning, the bikes in the compound at the finish, tents in the background.
    [​IMG]

There was some injuries... this was the worst :cry
    [​IMG]

Lots of prizes... compliments of the sponsors...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only female on in the event and she completed!:clap
    [​IMG]

I could not decide... the 2 closing photo's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, there are longer days... but for us mere mortals - starting at 4:00a, finishing at 9:00p is pretty damn long!!! :clap :clap :freaky

D

p.s. - Once again, thanks to FastEddy and John B for putting on a fantastic event!!! :thumb
  2. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I see my buddy Luiz in the yamaha inspection tent.. I hope he finished too :thumb

thanks for posting :beer
  4. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do this again, put me on your mailing list...I would like to give it a try...
  5. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the water crossing pics. :clap Any big GS twins participate?
  6. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Genius, totally genius. I like the T-shirt.
  7. SST

SST Lost again...

Oddometer:
    I really want to do this ride! Maybe next year we will finally have a true
    US of A team (not just Jack Splash trying to test all of the rules and fail all the tests:lol3 ).

Love the logo and the t-shirt. Rally Connex is first class.
  8. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    :nod

:thumb

Looks like a blast!
  9. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was very much a joint Ontario Dual Sport Club and Rally Connex venture as this is a rather large undertaking, the alliance really worked.

Ed and my trip total was 781km and we did not ride the last one hour trail loop! Our zippy Baad Boys team had cleared the other end of the trail before we reached its start!

As sweep riders, Ed and I had 17 1/4hrs of saddle/peg time, although actual moving time was only 12 1/2hr. The non moving times were spent helping fix flat tyres, de-water engines etc.

There was only one team to be ahead of the last cut off time so they were the only ones to complete the whole event. Team Baad Boys. (BAAD were originally Barry, Al, Al and Daryl but with one preride drop out due to injury, they adopted a Ken and Rome, goodness knows what name you could make of that).

All of the rideres that reached the Dacre Community Hall had a long hard day and it was a great achievement for all!

Most guy's were riding so much that taking pictures was not even thought about. I sure did not think about it.

There are some more good pictures here taken by Paul Martin one of the check point crews:
    http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=12

cmgonline.com are also doing a ride report.

Not only a very long day, considering that most hardly slept in thier tents the night before the 4am start, but a pretty tough one also.
    Some inevitable pavement, a fair bit of gravel road but the second half was nearly all forest access roads and trails.

PS KTM LC4's ROCK at this type of ride!!!
  10. fasteddy

fasteddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Southern Ontario, Canada ( Niagara Peninsula )
  11. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: I only have a few minutes to post some pic's I took, I'll add my story later on.

Here's Ed and John
    [​IMG]

John Baxter
    [​IMG]

How many of you guys crashed here? It was greasy from the morning dew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's me in the mud.

[​IMG]

This was the best ride I ever did, RallyConnex and The ODSC's Paris to Dacre 2006 was a Rally simulation, just like a day at Dakar. They did an excellent job laying out and holding an GPS guided event over 500 miles long. My total milage for the day was 475. I started on the first row at 4:02 am and arrived at Bail 1 at 6:30 PM. Next year I hope there will be an American team. Someone has to teach the Canadians how to do the water crossings. My teammates Clint and Jeff made me go first into the watercrossings.
    Great job, great bunch of riders, and a great big thanks to team end to end 2 for having me.

I'll post more later, gotta go to work.

Love Canada
    Jack
  12. canadian XR

canadian XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a pictures or all the riders.....:clap

Attached Files:

13. canadian XR

canadian XR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Team Baad Boys -1 +2 ......... :thumb

Attached Files:

14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent.. I'll have to keep it in mind for the next time.
  15. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap Excellent ride report,,, I definitely want to do this next year :thumb
  16. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just thought that I would show a pic of an unusual view put together by Ed.

Attached Files:

17. 'Flagger

'Flagger ..this space for rent..

Oddometer:
    What a great event! :eek1

Did anyone else notice that parc ferme was a hockey rink?:lol3

18. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. bdearlove

bdearlove Well Hung

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice ride. Is it possible to get the GPS Route for this to try on our own before attemping to join next years?
  20. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    Ahh... good ole P-D!, it is good to see these pics again, having not seen them since I posted most last year!.

Yes, the rough plans are for Rally Connex to host it next year (2008). There have been some small discussions, but more serious talks should start in the next couple months. Trust me, I want it just as bad as anyone else! :clap

D