Part of TET Sweden Finland

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Earthless, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, wanted to share my first adventure ride I did last summer and take the opportunity to introduce myself here. Been reading and lurking for a long time but haven't had anything to contribute really. Hope this is worthy enough and someone will enjoy it! : )

Anyway, after several failed attempts at getting anyone of my only-tarmac friends to start riding offroad I said phuck it and bought a -93 Dominator. Started to research as much dirt roads I could find through Sweden and Finland. The plan was simple, up Sweden and down Finland. At the same time I heard rumors about Trans Euro Trail. Got the tracks and first objective on the list was done, awesome!

Next some maintenance and trying to adventurize the bike. Switch all fluids, wheelbearings, custom footpegs, handguards, UHD tube, spare fuel tank, altrider saddlebag and so on. Put the Mitas E-09 on the rear and my god was it hard with two small tire levers.. You probably laugh at this but as inexperienced as I am it became a real challenge ; D

[​IMG]

Bought cheap knockoff camping stuff from china, except the sleeping bag. Pretty lightweight, everything worked really good, all of it was under the price it would cost to only buy the tent here in Sweden.

[​IMG]

And here compressed, 1L milk for reference ; )

[​IMG]

Made my own mount to the gps. Looks shitty...

[​IMG]

... but worked like a charm the whole trip! Didn't move at all but still allowed the montana to not vibrate to death :ricky

[​IMG]

And now pics of the actual trip, journey began from Karlstad in Sweden. (Unfortunately the geotag disappeared when i transferred the photos from my phone to the computer so can't give an exact location. But they're in the right order at least haha!)

First day of camping, a nice little lake somewhere north of Falun.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah this fun little obstacle was interesting.

[​IMG]

45 minutes and 75 mosquito bites later I finally got it on the other side. Probably could've rerouted but I really wanted to do it for some reason. Conclusion? Next year a 350/500 Exc-f will be the machine for these rides :augie(And no didn't go over or around it)

[​IMG]

Old military area, runway for the airplanes i guess.

[​IMG]

Lakes everywhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Workout of that day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big flat play area!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More fun stuff to mess around in, and some german campers I think!

[​IMG]

Translation: Nattavaara - Village of the year 2004... :lol3

[​IMG]

This road was a lot of fun, traction front and loose on the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a bit wet also, exciting!

[​IMG]

Hmm.. There should be a bridge here?... Was wondering for a couple of seconds how deep it could be, but opted for another way around fortunately!

[​IMG]

And these drones where everywhere, a bit fun at first but after a while it got pretty annoying. Well their turf really so one can't complain.

[​IMG]

After this I started getting some technical difficulties unfortunately, the time (and money to repair) became a factor so had to call it quits. So from Karlstad Sweden to Kuusamo in Finland, the trip total about 4000 km so I'm ok with that being my first trip and all! Took about 3 weeks I think.

Well had a blast and will definitely continue doing adv trips! All you guys and girls here on advrider have won another soul haha.. // Earthless
  2. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb Good stuff thanks for posting! Do you crank that ferry somehow or do you just pull on the rope?
  3. Brick Top

Brick Top Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice very nice. Well I am on the Finnish side and I also have a problem to get my m8 to do something like this.
  4. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just pull the rope, rust everywhere afterwards.
    Rhode trip likes this.
  5. MaxBimmer

MaxBimmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done. Thanks for showing us a bit of Scandanavia.
  6. *kartman*

*kartman* GO Bacon GO !

Oddometer:
    Great to see those TET scandinavia threads pop up here all over the place ^^
    I bought the same camping chair on Aliexpress though :D Did you really use it or would you say you could've left it at home ? Compared to a whole tent it's still a bit bulky, but I also thought I might need the luxury of a chair.

The photos look like it's been quite a bit of fun, are those roads all part of the TET gpx file ?
  7. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah short answer I could have left it at home. But, the few times I used it it was really nice to have, buy a beer or two before camp, find a spot pitch the tent get the chair and enjoy a beer in the last sunlight of day. Didn't bring cooking gear so took this instead.
    i4bikes likes this.
  8. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, yes @*kartman* they're all in the gpx file!
    *kartman* likes this.
  9. NikLyk

NikLyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hej fra Danmark! Very nice pictures
    I've been meaning to do the TET in Sweden and Norway as part of a ride to Nordkapp.
    Only problem is my bike is a Yamaha XT660X (SuMo model) and not a true dual sport/adventure bike.

From your pictures, it doesn't look too gnarly, but how are the Swedish parts of the tracks in general?
    Lots of mud and sand or mostly gravel and hardpack?
    Do I need a true offroad bike?
    Would I issues on a supermoto with 17 inch rims and 80/20 on/offroad tyres?
  10. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Nice to see some of the Scandinavian TET. I rode a bit of the Dutch part this weekend, plan is to ride part of the TET for 2 weeks in June. Either Italy and may be part of France (time permitting), or the French fork Massif Central-Pyrenees-Alps. Jury is still out.

Kudo's for spooning on that E-09. I have had one, 4-ply Dakar version. Tough sob tire that was, could barely get it on. But went off surprisingly easy.
    Earthless likes this.
  11. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hallå där! Nice, is there a TET route for Norway? Heard some talk about high fines if your'e not cautious where you ride(offroad), make sure you look it up first ; )

Oh not sure I'm the right guy to ask about tire choices. It's mostly gravel and hardpack, depends on the weather really, a few short muddy parts on my trip. Maybe a 50/50 tire, twinduro or something?
    Didn't really know what to expect so just took some tires that looked a little aggressive at least, but I'm sure you'll be fine as long you don't run slicks! And, you could always switch along the trip if you want to.
  12. NikLyk

NikLyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a TET route for Norway. .gpx file available on the TET site. It is near Nord-Trøndelag and another one up near Nordkapp. Its even connected to the Swedish TET near Värmlands län and Dalarnas län. I haven't ridden it, but I would assume legal to ride there since its on the trail.

As far as I understand, its mostly gravel roads and hardpack like the Swedish part, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people who have ridden it yet so I am trying to ask people with first hand experience what is possible on my supermoto :)
  13. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like my kind of riding.
  14. NickW1

NickW1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the RR, looks like nice fishing spots too!
    Earthless likes this.
  15. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah nice, yeah if it's on the route then it's ok! Just put some decent DS tires on and your'e gonna have a blast! Are you doing it this summer? Would've made you company for a bit up but I have a new job and a bike to fix..
  16. itinerant wool stash

itinerant wool stash Inveterate optimist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode the Finnish TET, the Old Postal Road from Kautokeino to Alta on the northern Norwegian part of the TET and a couple of the southern bits like Haustsjøen road and the run out to Lake Fundin. You can find the ride report (which I should probably finish writing at some point) with pics here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1245263/

There is also another, older thread with good pics of the Kautokeino/Alta stretch here: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1082814/

IMHO a competently ridden XT660X is quite up to the task, at least as far as those stretches are concerned. Cannot speak to the Swedish TET, though. Concerning tires I did most of the trip on K60 Scouts; aired down it provided enough traction even on the muddy sections (though after 4+ days of rain, some of those were quite muddy enough, thank you very much ;) ) and the couple odd spots of sand you could find. TKC80, Anakee Wild or similar would make it more fun, though.

As Earthless already hinted at the difficulty will vary greatly with the weather and how much mud there is. The Old Postal Road also has a couple spots that can flood properly after a couple days of heavy rain, and dry slowly. When I was up there the bike and I had a little swim in not-quite hip deep water but we made it through, my own stupidity notwithstanding.
    On the plus side the longest distance you're away from a gas station on that road is about 60-70km (as the bike rides, not as the crow flies), so if that happens to you and you decide you don't want to chance it, you an always head back and reroute.
    Earthless likes this.
  17. vainamoinen

vainamoinen Bumblebee master

Oddometer:
    unable to see the pics. :(
    *kartman* likes this.
  18. Earthless

Earthless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @vainamoinen Weird, I'll have a look some day what's wrong ; )
  19. Harmonyrider

Harmonyrider n00b

Oddometer:
    Unable to see the pics also, to bad :)
  20. BelgardaBuddy

BelgardaBuddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, It would be very interesting to be able to see the pictures.