Partial TAT, West to East, headed to Kansas City MO

Discussion in 'Americas' started by syspig, May 10, 2020.

1. syspig

syspig Dog Scratcher

Oddometer:
    I've a van to pick up in Kansas City, MO later this summer/early fall. Living in the PNW, this presents an opportunity to ride the western TAT from west to east. The bikes can be loaded up in the van for the return trip.

For those who have done it, where would you depart the TAT to head north to Kansas City? Many options, no doubt - but I'd hate to head north too far west and miss something worth seeing. Any departure spot should avoid interstates, as our lowly XT250's aren't too happy beyond 60MPH.

Suggestions?
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have the time I would advise continuing thru the Ozark Mountains in northern Arkansas and then cut back northwest.

There are some good tracks thru the Ozarks in MO that would probably make a good start towards KC. Maybe look in the Midwest Regional general or tracks forum.

The riding in northeast OK is pretty good too. So you could just head due north from there.
    syspig likes this.
  3. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    You should turn north after hitting Oark AR for a burger, great riding north of there in AR and MO, when north of I-44 there are a couple 2 lane roads between I-49 and 13 highway that work well. Good luck.
    syspig likes this.
  4. Lime

Lime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Parts of Nevada is just a gravel road that parallels right next to the highway and isn't much fun.
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nevada was just awesome for us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark (Big Dog) that looks like the "old" TAT thru Nevada, which I thought was just the best part of the trip. Not on the new route, and haven't been able to get Sam to make it an option for those who choose a more challenging ride. I did save the tracks though, so maybe again some day...Except for western Oregon, which was just a maze!
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Blaise,
    It's good you have the tracks and can do it again (I kept mine too). It was so much fun looking thru my pictures and re-living that ride.
    Seems Oregon has always been a maze------ever changing.
    So---you just have to find your way thru ---which for most of us was just plain fun.

New riders won't be able to ride the old route unless they still have the maps and rollcharts.
    Sam wouldn't have the tracks for that-------as that was before he did tracks.
    I'd be glad to give him mine---------he's probably not interested.
    He's bent on pre---riding stuff now to make sure there are no problems---a good thing I think.
    Will seem him in a few weeks for his local ride he puts on in Tennessee.
    You going to that ?????

I rode the route he is doing this June and video'd it if you want to watch it.
    Couple slick crossings.
    It's here:
  8. fletcherguitar

fletcherguitar Marilyn Across America

Oddometer:
    The two riders on horseback is likely the best photo ever taken on any t.a.t ride, ever.

Makes me want to trailer the xr amd Sam's wr to the east coast and head towards Oregon so she can see this stuff.
    BigDogAdventures likes this.