Passo Tremalzo on a bike - yes, the southern way!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cerv, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upon reflection, it wouldn’t be such an absorbing experience had I not ridden alone and on a big trailie.

A group of riders would make it less mentally trying by removing some of the fear and the feeling of desolate majesty you can experience only while you are alone in deserted mountains.

Going with a 4x4 car would feel just inconvenient (you even don’t need a permission!), while a small dirt bike or an enduro would make it all too easy and forgettable.

I mastered much more challenging off-road passages with my GS, and I have ridden it to some even more interesting places. But for one reason or another, none of that left an impression so deep as Tremalzo. If you haven’t been there yet, ride it. You’ll love it.
  2. Dustdevill

Dustdevill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Truly awesome & great photos. Maybe one day I will find myself in Europe on a GS and this will be high on my list of "to do" things.
  3. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I first approached local authorities, but it turned out the hotels in Tremosine may organize the permission for you. You just have to explain what you need while booking your room. The authority that issues the permission is „Pro Loco Tremosine“.
  4. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    Nice write up.
    And kudos for showing us such a great road/track.
    So, yes, I'll ride it ;)
    To gain a bit of confidence on those kind of tracks, I put knobbies on the GS. Not sure it will change drastically the handling but it affects my state of mind. Read "it put down a bit my fear level".
    Well done !
    /thierry
  5. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report!

I was at Lago di Garda a few years ago by car, when my GF didn't yet ride with me and rode the Tremalzo on a rented quad. Great scenery there!
  6. cerv

cerv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon‘ that with a knobby tyre it’s actually more likely to lose your front wheel on a dry dusty surface. Plus it would't make sense anyway, as a loose surface of any kind made hardly 5% of our trip mileage. And I would rather hurt myself at Tremalzo then sacrifice all those great Italian tornati (hairpins):D
  7. Sparke

Sparke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A every excellent report with great photos, but best of all is your U-tube movie... it's like riding there.
  8. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My ride up the Temalzo on the rented 1150GS was also my first ride on a big GS. Your experience seems to mirror mine exactly.

I view Tremalzo as a pass that I have survived rather than just ridden.
  9. EtronX

EtronX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did it today :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics !
    First time on Tremalzo was 29 years ago ... On an XT500
    at the time the gravel started just outside Tremosine ; as well the other side to Val di ledro was gravel too (there's still a dirt track to' reach Passo nota from Ledro , but hush-hush .. it's confidential)

Knobblies are a blessing for heavy bikes, having them on a loose gravelbstone ramp may make the difference between get stuck or not.

If you liked Tremalzo , there Are several similar roads feasible on eastern alps, prealpi and Dolomites
  11. GiorgioXT

GiorgioXT Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...A thing less known is that along road from Passo Nota to Tremalzo

[​IMG]
    There's the "Baita Segalla" a "Bivacco" - mountain hut not-guarded and always open - water, bunks and fireplaces
    Built from the conversion of a military depot.

Maybe a good idea once to stop there and admire the sunset...
    cerv likes this.