Passport Deposit

Discussion in 'Asia' started by North6633, Nov 20, 2018.

1. North6633

North6633 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cross posted in trip planning also.

What's the longest anyone has left a passport for a deposit for a bike rental.
    I have done it in the past for day rentals but looking at a couple weeks in Cambodia.
    One option is leave my passport for deposit
    The other option is a $2k cash deposit.
    Little nervous with each option
    Anyone with experience or advice in this front?

Thanks in advance.
  2. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Some friends left their passports with their hotel overnight because the photo copier had broken down. 3 years later they were hauled aside in Abu Dabi and asked why they had 2 passports. Someone was using copies of theirs. Counterfeiting of passports is becoming more common, don't let it out of your sight. Use another company, they are out there. And yes I've been to Cambodia multiple times.
    yokesman likes this.
  3. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll face the same question in a couple of weeks in Laos: leave my passport for a couple of weeks' rental, or pay an outrageous cash deposit. Last year in Vietnam I paid the deposit--$1000 US, if I remember right. It was returned to me in crisp, clean, entirely-genuine bills a couple of weeks later in a different part of the country.

It used to be said that your Western passport was worth more than the average annual income in most of the world, but I don't think that's true in this age of biometric information coded into embedded microchips. Moreover, I'm not entirely clear that I have any reason to worry if someone copies my passport. Does that need to be my problem for any reason? I'm going to cancel it anyway after this trip, since I'll have filled absolutely every page without exceptions or blank spots. Proud of it, too.

Mark
  4. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    A while ago on my first trip to Laos I rented from a company called "Remote Asia". Great help from Jim Barbush, he even gave one of the group his personal bike. Last time I was there i heard he had had an accident so i don't know if he still operates.
    As for the passport, it can be used for all sorts of things including setting up bank accounts in your name'obtaining credit cards and acts of terrorism.
  5. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm renting from Remote Asia and have been emailing a bit with Jim. So are you saying you did not have to leave your passport during your Remote Asia rental? Or are you merely being clever and opinionated? The world may need more clever opinions, but I personally wouldn't mind an answer.

I'll probably rent for a couple of days in Cambodia, too.

Mark
  6. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Why the attitude? I'm only trying to help. I honestly don't remember leaving any passports with Jim, but it was about 8 years ago, but I remember having to produce my passport for hotels so Who knows, but Jim is an honest helpful bloke and I would trust him with My passport. Things may have changed. Also you could try try contacting companies like Dancing Roads, although they do tours and come highly recommended friends have rented bikes through him and Paeng may be able to help you. What I'm saying is lots of companies rent bikes and in Cambodia you can do it when you arrive, not in advance. My last time there I had my own bike which I shipped from Australia, expensive option but it was a 4 month trip.
    Edit: Ive gotten mixed up with whom I'm replying, Paeng and Dancing roads are in Cambodia and I hired bikes from Remote Asia in Laos although they do operate in Cambodia as well.