1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Patagonia eclipse mid-Dec 2020 and northbound return to California

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Manolo al Sol, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Manolo al Sol

Manolo al Sol n00b

Oddometer:
    Sup adv fam-

Planning an epic ride based on the mid-Dec 2020 solar eclipse over Chile/Argentina. Am currently in northern California and searching for a KTM 500 EXC or FE501 for an ultralight adv M.O.

Due to COVID uncertainty, trip may likely involve shipping bike to South America before the end of the year, and for the adventure to start as early as possible before the eclipse, with the intent of a northbound return trip to California. Very open ended at this point.

Salud! -Manolo
  2. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would be a great trip. Hopefully this pandemic subsides so you can get a good start on things. Although at this point I’m not making any travel plans unless 100% refundable.
    The riding in S. America is amazing! Especially the Atacama/ Bolivia and northern Argentina. Stunning landscapes.
  3. Manolo al Sol

Manolo al Sol n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it. Just acquired an 08 KTM 530 EXC, to build in the meantime for domestic reps. May likely fly to Chile where it appears the easiest for a foreigner to purchase, and leverage the strong USD.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wish you all the best , that your South America adventure may come true , but I have serious doubts about that. Basing your plans on a ride report of another person’s three week trip which was completed last year autumn places you in a very precarious position. The planet has gone through a drastic change now with Covid 19 closing down many borders.
    Mid- December 2020 is only a few months away . There is the serious question whether borders will be passable by then ; that is if you are even permitted to fly south. There is no guarantee that a “second wave” is not going to happen . What about your health insurance , should you become infected in SA? Will it pay out or will they refuse help , or will it be unbelievably expensive?
    Better get a dose of reality and read up on some of the riders who are marooned in South America at this moment , like this one :
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/cycl...o-em-praia-do-estaleiro-brazil.1296625/unread
  5. Manolo al Sol

Manolo al Sol n00b

Oddometer:
    Solid advice, thank you. Am staying as flexible as possible no doubt, with plan B as piloting an adventure build of the KTM and domestic US exploration.
  6. Manolo al Sol

Manolo al Sol n00b

Oddometer:
  7. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hahaha Sjoerd......marooned. good one. Title mod in progress