Patagonia- Puerto Varas to Ushuaia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by evmurdock, Oct 12, 2019.

1. evmurdock

evmurdock Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2019 ride is approaching. It is time to start a little preparation.
    Ride Dates: Dec 1 to Dec 16
    Motorcycle: DR 650 or KLR 650
    Mostly dirt roads

This is a shorter ride than previous years. I am also traveling with a group and staying in hotels. This makes the planning infinitely easier.
    Patagonia Trip 2019.png

My trip reports will be here on ADV Rider and on my personal blog: http://biker.murdockmartin.com
    Dan Diego likes this.
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Will be following; you will be about a month ahead of us (Wife and I, two bikes, in Peru now). Scout out the way!

I can’t believe the amount of route planning you are showing off here. We barely know where we are going next week!
    Stromtom and knight like this.
  3. Stromtom

Stromtom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip. I look forward to following along here.

Remember to take along sufficient crisp, new, unmarked or stained US hundred dollar bills to exchange for Argentinian pesos with bar keeps or the hotel desk. Unless they have gotten their ATMs sorted over on the west side (which I doubt) you will have no access to Argentine money otherwise. Oh, and get rid of their money before you leave as no one else wants to exchange it back to dollars.

Safe trip!
    Dan Diego likes this.
  4. evmurdock

evmurdock Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    T-4:weeks

I'm counting down the weeks till I am riding through Patagonia. A little shopping including new gloves, mosko moto bag, point and shoot camera, Moto Skivees, has kept me occupied the past two weeks.

By way of introductions (and creating test posts from my phone). this is my third "epic" ride. I started riding again three years ago.

I am easing my way to retirement. At 56, I own an IT consulting business. This allows me to take extended time off for riding. My first trip was 6 weeks from Atlanta, GA to California and back. Last year I took 8 weeks to ride to Alaska.

My youngest son is now studying at Clemson University. Out of state tuition is keeping me working a bit longer this year. The trip to Patagonia will be shorter than previous trips at 16 days.

I've been fortunate to travel the world with my profession. I now enjoy the view of the world from a Motorcycle instead from an airplane. While my family enjoys travel, I haven't convinced them to ride along. My favorite style of riding is to ride solo and camp off my Vstrom.
    PSX_20191020_174559.jpg 20180919_100838.jpg
    Suncoaster and Stromtom like this.
  5. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    In February riding to Ushuaia, had no problems with ATMs in either Argentina or Chile and none changing money from both countries back to dollars at the airport
    evmurdock and Stromtom like this.