Patrick Trahan, Dakar

Discussion in 'Canada' started by maraisrider, Nov 30, 2009.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next time he could be on one of these:
    [​IMG]
  2. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

http://www.rideafrica4wishes.com/project/

Patrick's new project is to attempt a world-record circumnavigation of Africa in only 60 days. The existing record is 286 days. He will be raising $25,000 for the Children's Wish Foundation along the way.

Twisted Throttle will be outfitting his Honda XR650L for the adventure:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_isWgPpAmIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_isWgPpAmIw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Custom bike modifications by Twisted Throttle will include a reinforced rear subframe, Trax hard luggage system, LED headlights, auxiliary fuel tanks, a solar-powered charging array for navigation, film, and communications equipment, and more.

We're just getting started!

[​IMG]
  3. H e a d N o r t h

H e a d N o r t h (take the high road)

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!
    :clap:clap:clap

4. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    that is super cool
    goooo Patrick:clap
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Very cool :clap
  6. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:
    Good luck with this trip. The one big thing with the xrl is that they are so reliable. One thing that I would change out would be the exhaust. I put a full FMF Q4 system on the XR. The weight savings in substantial and at 92 db is politically correct and gets attention when necessary. Also by going to Led everything and HID headlamp I got my light power down to under 50 watts, enough to have hot grips and GPS's on the stock stator.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Cheers
    Dave[​IMG]
  7. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    I know he put a Big Gun full system on there. Graciously donated by the boys over at Big Gun. Nice looking system.
  8. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Next episode:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHUJYAx2DF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HHUJYAx2DF0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This one tells the story of the side and top carrier development. Sorry the sound is a little off. You Tube rendered the video kind of weird. What you see in the video took place in about 2 days. We should have some production samples in a few weeks. The idea is to make all of these components available to the public. Best part is we will have a 25000 km African torture test done with the gear....

For you guys out there with this bike - we did design in a lot of sub-frame support for this notoriously weak unit.
  9. Timo Explorer

Timo Explorer Trail Wizard

Oddometer:
    Met Patrick today at the Toronto Motorcycle Show. Great guy who loves to talk and has a million stories. Very knowledgeable about bikes and riding, a pleasure to talk to.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clapI applaud Patrick on his latest adventure, best wishes on a successful trip around Africa.
    Felt good to contribute to the cause of a fellow adventurer living the dream and helping out the Children's Wish at the same time.

Ride well my friend.
  10. klxmack

klxmack king of the box

Oddometer:

I had a Big Gun full system on my last bike. I took it off after 2500 kms. I got too loud after two weeks. I called big gun and they told me to repack the muffler. WTF? 2500km. I was planing a trans Canada trip and I wasn't going to bring four repack kits. If they are still using glass pack tecnology then put the stock muffler back on. I ordered a staintuned stainless packed system and put over 25000km and It never got louder.
    Staintuned 1, Big Gun 0

Cheers
  11. skibum69

Oddometer:
    Patrick is raising money for this attempt by selling km's at one $ per; why not throw a couple his way?

I bought 50 on payday.
  12. Rotten Ronnie

Rotten Ronnie Crash

Oddometer:
    Kelly's Cross, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    I had to search around for the link so here it is:

http://www.rideafrica4wishes.com/

[​IMG]

I just donated as well. :D

Good luck Patrick!
  13. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    +1 A great cause. :clap

I'm sure everyone here on ADV should be able to chip in at least the equivalent of what it costs to fill a tank on their bike.

Should be a challenging ride!
  14. rallyeman

rallyeman Dakarboy -

Oddometer:
    You guys are awsome. This adventure is not the Dakar, but for me I have been dreaming about it for the past 4 years. I always had dream, some took 15 year before getting accomplish, but when they are,Man.. the joy, the spark in the eye and the joy in life after.. That is what I want to give the kids who don't have 15 years sometimes!!
    But go to my website and I will update it every night and believe me for doing circumnavigation of Africa I will ride in Dakar mode sometimes. So good stories to come. Plus you will be abal to follow me LIVE because of an awsome tracking system provided by the guy at Helios.
    Also a special Thanks to the guys at Twisted Throttle, without them it would be impossible to do this!
    So stay tune

Ps: I still need some sponsor to achieve the $15,000 require to ride this adventure. 100% of the kilomters are donated to Children's wish www.childrenswish.ca
  15. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    Visited Patrick today in Sandton Johannesburg in Hospital, great guy looking good, he has got the best medical facilities and looking amazing considering the breakages, he should be fine..:1drink
  16. skibum69

Oddometer:
    That's great news, thanks for keeping us in the loop:D
  17. VO1MX

VO1MX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes that is good news about Patrick!
  18. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    One of the "Wilddog Forum" was there yesterday, I will go again today, his injuries are essentially all left side, they have fixed his left forearm, which was dislocated at the elbow and had 4 breaks in it so he has 22 screws and some serious plates in there. His femur has a large pin in it and they have fixed his left foot. The above took some time, so they stopped the op after about seven and a half hours, so wednesday they will operate again to do pelvis and anything else that needs fixing.

Again, he is in amazing spirits and remembers the accident in detail, always a good sign, it sounds strange to say with all the breaks, but he was very, very lucky, will update later. :1drink
  19. waterlilly

waterlilly No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer:

Thank you for the updates, not only do you live in a beautiful country, you are great people. Thanks for visiting Patrick.
    Cheers
  20. rallyeman

rallyeman Dakarboy -

Oddometer:
    thanks welchman for internet acces!!! and mostly for your presence and great talk!!! i am reading all my mails and all the good messages i have received... i o dontt even know what i am so emotive!!! thanks all, wont take me long to get back on the bike ond my 2 feet, trust me... also thanks so much to my guardian angel to be still alive