Pavement and gravel touring in AB & BC Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by aj226, Dec 20, 2004.

1. aj226

aj226 Sloth Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, after some planning we now have the bikes. Mine is a 1150 Adventure and her's is a GS 650. So, now it's time to plan out a few short, not too adventurous rides, from Edmonton AB, for next season, and maybe one longer trip for early fall.
    She has three seasons experience, but only two on the BM. I don't want to go any where that could be overly challenging yet.
    Suggestions? Advice?
  2. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    What do you consider to be a "short" trip?

Are you looking for off-pavement routes, or just some worthwhile touring destinations?
  3. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Lots of great combo riding here. Victoria to Bamfield via Port Renfrew and Cowichan Lake is a great ride. Also Walbran and Carmanah Valley are along the way. We did this last Rememberance Day. Lots of camping and places to stay along the way. Gas available too.

:D

Cheers
    Richard
  4. aj226

aj226 Sloth Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are trying to keep the first rides to three days.

I had found this map in a touring companies online stuff, and I like the look of it.

[​IMG]
  5. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    That would be a nice ride--loop up from Waterton Lakes through Kananaskis to complete the route. I'd also recommend spending some time in the West Kootenays: Nelson, Kaslo, New Denver, Silverton, Ainsworth Hot Springs, Slocan Valley--great roads, plenty of history/arts/culture, and some neat places to stay/eat (especially in Nelson). The ride from Kootenay Bay to Creston is definitely worthwhile.
  6. road2blue

road2blue road2blue

Oddometer:
    :thumb Make a loop of it....Kootenay Bay down to Creston is one of the best motorcycling roads in BC. From Creston ride up to Cranbrook and out toward Kimberley then (just before Kimberley) head up to the Gray Creek Pass and cross over back to Kootenay Bay. Kimberly to Kootenay Bay is about 1.5 to 2 hrs....a beautiful ride on decommissioned forestry service road (sounds worse than it is). did that last summer and saw about 2-3 vehicles along the way and that was it. Another dual purpose road is Hwy 40 south of Grand prairie....I believe it becomes the Forestry Trunk Road south of Hinton (where it is all gravel) and you can take it all the way to Highway 3 in southern Alberta (I think). Saw it on a map when I used to live in AB and always wanted to do that one. I do know it is allweather from Drayton down to Rocky Mountain House. Good luck and congrats on the bikes....
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    There's an article in it called " The High Lonesome, that sounds
    exactly like what you want to do.
  8. aj226

aj226 Sloth Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the input and suggestions. I am discussing them with the GS650 rider.

Aj
  9. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    In 2003 I rode from Dunkin to Bamfield to Port Albernie to Tofino and back to Dunkin. Great ride, except for the new four inch deep gravel between Bamfield and Port Albernie. I stopped at Sproat Lake to see the Mariners but all were out bombing except one in for maintenence.