Pay the troll, or how I failed to cross a bridge!

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Rasbutan, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    So, we’re making our way through Mercer on the ATV trail. We came across a set of 90 degree turns, the left hand one had freshly dumped gravel that was really deep and loose. The right hand turn had loose sand. Both of these can be treacherous on a big bike with only Tourances on. The bike got really squirrelly going through it, but we both made it out the other side, and I was feeling good!
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The air abounded with shouts of glee and much testosterone. The we came upon the bridge, and the reason for the conclusion in Face Plant.
    <o:p></o:p>
    As previously stated, I was feeling pretty confident. When I saw the planks running parallel with the direction of traffic, I immediately thought that this is bad, especially for bikes. But, bah! I can do this, after all…I just made it through sand and gravel!
    The offending bridge.

[​IMG]
    I came down the center groove and made it maybe 75% through before my front tire hit the right board and it hopped. Everything after that was a blur til I was laying on the ground.
    The bike where it came down. I landed about 4ft to the left of it.

[​IMG]
    After laying of the ground trying to regain my breath for 10 minutes, I told Tony to start taking pics! I started checking out the damage.

[​IMG]
    Hotspice helped me upright the bike, and made a mental list of all the bad things.
    Busted saddle bag
    Bent tailrack
    Dented muffler

[​IMG]

Busted windscreen, and all the tools came out when the seat came off

[​IMG]
    Busted turn signal, and PIAAs

[​IMG]
    Busted head guard
    Tony took a ground level pic to illustrate the depth of the actual groove.

[​IMG]
    We loaded up all the stuff that had come off and headed back to the campground 35 miles to the south. By the time we got back, my shoulder ached so badly that I had trouble working the clutch and my breathing was labored.
    So, off to the ER. Thanks again go to Bonebag for letting us use his truck.

[​IMG]
    And this is the result. Bruised most of the ribs on my left side. Bruised my hip. Strained or stressed the tendons in my shoulder.

[​IMG]
    <o:p>I win with the most arm bands!</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    This pic was taken this morning showing the bruising coming in around the ribs and on the hip. Pic is rough cause I was having a hard time keeping my arm up.

[​IMG]
    I owe a huge amount of thanks to Tony for keeping calm at the scene and helping me get everything back. And then he took me to the ER!! What a guy!
    Now, back to the Ride Report.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377461
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Next time, start out on TOP of one of the parallel boards. The if you get off-line a little bit, is is easier to keep the bike upright when the front wheel needs to go OFF the higher board, than when it needs to go UP it....

Consider you margin for error. If you start out in the trough, you margin is less than half the width of the trough before the side of your tire hits a higher board. But if you start out on the higher board (as long as it is a reasonable width) you have half that board PLUS almost the entire width of the trough before the side of your wheel hits the next high board. If the spacing is about equal, then you have three times the margin.

I have heard of this crash scenario on wood decked bridges many times. Around here, we have ORV/snowmobile bridges in the woods that have a strip of longitudinal boards up the middle to take the wear from the snowmobiles' tracks. Much better to try to ride up the middle than along the sides!
  3. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    Yeah, next time I'm just gonna duck walk the fucker across.

:huh
    korie and Trowell cymru like this.
  4. Dfrnt

Dfrnt Just pluggin' along Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent advice. I didn't get to talk with you after the incident so this may not apply but my 2 cents worth: Whenever encountering uneven, sandy, muddy, or difficult terrain STAND UP ON THE PEGS. It lowers the center of gravity and you can let the bike move under you with less chance of being pitched off. I see so many pics posted on this site with people sitting down riding through all kinds of crap that I wonder how they survive at all. Again, I don't mean to imply anything but this general advice is for all.
    Trowell cymru likes this.
  5. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:
    Keeping Calm?? Heck, I had everything I could do to NOT grab my camera until you gave the thumbs up :lol3 ..

Just glad it wasn't worse.. The bike can be fixed and FWIR the helmet was also pretty narfed up.. ATGATT comes through again.

:freaky
  6. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    I was standing.

It still sucked.
  7. Crew Dawg Dave

Crew Dawg Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is good advice... I learned that this pass weekend as I took my DL1000 down a rough fire road... 25 mile of learning... only dropped it once :D and I was sitting down when I lost it...
    *hijack off*

Dave
  8. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    How does standing up lower your center of gravity???
  9. Hotspice

Hotspice Satellites not acquired

Oddometer:

It has to do with your body and the "contact patch" your weight is distributed over. When you sit, your weight is transfered to the bike via your arss through your seat.

When you stand your weight is transfered to the bike via your foot pegs which are lower on the bike.
  10. Rasbutan

Rasbutan Unnormal

Oddometer:
    :nod
  11. Skippii

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. Skippii

Oddometer:
  13. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Depends. What weight oil was he running? because the viscosity will affect the inertial mass center of gravitational rotation (driveshaft after all...) and THAT in turn has to be adjusted by what tires and whether you're using soft bags or hard, not to mention that if it's a KLR then all bets are off due to the large amounts of rusty bolts and baling twine AND whether the doohickey's been done.............................................................................................................................................................

:jump
  14. Skippii

Oddometer:
    By the way, after reading that article, I have one comment to add--
    On the track, I do stand up on the pegs to lower my center of gravity.
    Although, in this case, standing on the pegs means I've got my knee on the seat, my ass on the clutch cover, and my other knee towards the pavement.

Try THAT off road, and you've got my admiration!
  15. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    I beg to differ. It's simple math/physics really. Let's say your pegs are 14" from the ground and your seat height is 32". For arguments sake let's say the center of gravity of the bike alone is somewhere in the middle, say 26". With an average riders weight of 200 lbs. added to the seat height (sitting) this would raise the center of gravity because the 200 lbs was added above the 26" height. If you stand on the pegs which are only 14" from the ground the added weight is applied below the center of gravity, thus lowering it. I am ignoring the slight weight of your legs resting on the pegs and arms on the bars which make little difference. So how does adding weight above the center of gravity of the bike lower it? I guess I missed that class in college.
  16. doughy

doughy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't CG be realitive to the bike??? imagine standing on some harley pegS????:lol3
  17. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    OH fvck here we go.

Of course the cg goes UP- but by lifting your arse off the seat, your remaining attachment points (wrists & feet) are all effectively pivot points and you decouple your mass from the bike's mass.

The net effect is a lower cg, even if it isn't.

Except on a shafty, when you need to rotate the flywheel 360 degrees counter-clockwise around the vertical centerline of the bike to get the necessary effect.
    scfrank likes this.
  18. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, I don't know the phyics but.... When I ride my mountain bike in the loose stuff, standing on the pedals definitely steadys things.
    drumboots and korie like this.
  19. Dfrnt

Oddometer:
    Which is why I was talking about the cg of the BIKE, not the entire mass. The bike is what you want to keep upright. Your body will "float" above the bikes movements when standing as opposed to wanting to be thrown off like a bucking bronco. I thought shaftys were clockwise :D
  20. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    From the description I'm pretty sure the OP did assume that position... probably at least twice between the time he left the bridge and when he reached the ground. :lol3
    drumboots likes this.