Paying for gas in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Michelangelo, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Going down this week on supermoto to Copper Canyon. Do their gas pumps take our American credit cards such as VISA? Do they take cash? How do you pay for gas in the interior of MX?
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You pay the attendant cash (pesos) and give him the small change as a tip. Make sure he resets the pump before he starts filling up your vehicle. Most of these guys are honest and hard-working. Treat them with respect.
  3. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the small tip, sometimes it is all they make. Cash/Pesos is the most likely way to pay for your gas. The newer stations are starting to take credit cards but don't count on it. Gasoline, last Spring, was pretty similar in cost to the US.
  4. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was in Northwest Mexico last month for a few days. Gas was pricing pretty much the same as U.S. I have yet to see a station that takes credit cards. There may be some in the larger cities.
    If you want to fill up just say: "Lleno, por favor" and don't forget a few pesos for the tip. I usually give them 5 pesos.
  5. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pay in Pesos. In fact, its about the only place to burn up 100 and 200 peso notes and get change back. Its not like the USA where we pay for everything, including a $2 soda, with a $20 bill. Many places cant make change. Large bills, other than for large purchases (hotel, fuel) are difficult to change. Carry alot of small pesos, and US money, alot of singles and $5's. As mentioned, "Lleno, por favor" to fill you up. "Lleno, por favor, Premium" if you need premium (red handle pump.)