Paying knowledge forward, my kid's budget 600 Shadow

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by NurseBill, Apr 14, 2019.

1. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 18 year old never had much interest in motorcycle until a couple months ago. Kind of out of the blue he wanted to learn to ride. He's always been hands on when I was working on his car so this is a logical step. I figured he would buy a bike, maybe a dual sport or something eventually, but I suggested he take a MSF course. I've left him mess around on my KLX but it's on the tall side. We are both 5'6" I've just learned how to deal with it.

A couple weeks ago I was at my wife's uncle's place visiting. He said about he has too many bikes (6 total) and has no time for most of them and asked me if I was interested in his 1992 Honda Shadow 600 or knew anyone who was. It had been sitting a number of years inside so it's not in running shape. I'm not a cruiser guy and had no interest. After we left it dawned on me it would be a great bike for someone who has never spent any time on one being low to the ground and not intimidating. So a deal was struck between the 2 and he was now the proud owner of a project bike. We hosed off the dust and put it on the lift as soon as we got it home. I've got ones running in wayyyy worse shape than this!
    IMG_20190413_152710042.jpg

His great uncle owned the bike since 94, I remember hauling it home for him in a damn snowstorm. Last registered in 2009 but knowing him, it's been ran since then. The funny thing was, the battery still held a charge and it turned over. First thing we did was pull all the leather crap off and my kid removed the sissy bar ( he hated it ) We pulled the tank and dumped out all the stinky gas that was in it. My kid chucked the leather thing on the tank. We pulled the carbs off and they really were not too bad. the pilots were plugged but that's it. The wires for the front cylinder coil were mouse damaged so we redid those.
    IMG_20190413_171311179.jpg

It needs a chain (the O-rings disintegrated) petcock filter and o ring, plugs, carb manifold boots since the old ones are as hard as steel, a pair of basic carb kits and some general TLC. His great uncle has the stock pipes so the drag pipes have to go. There's some spots on the swingarm where the paint was rubbed off by saddlebags that are going to get fixed as well.
    flinders_72, villageidiot and nk14zp like this.
  2. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Soaking in Berryman B12. Ran a strand of copper wire through the pilots. Really they weren't as bad as I thought they would be.
    bowls.jpg
    The carbs are in good shape. Still need to drill out the plug for the fuel screw and pull it to be sure that's all open.
    carbs.jpg
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice find as a first bike. :thumb

Good that he still has the original pipes, as that little bike will be crazy loud on drag pipes.
    NurseBill likes this.
  4. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I remember his great uncle riding it with those and it's stupid loud. He says he has them, I told my son to keep on him to find them lol.

I don't mind supplying the know how and labor as long as he helps and buys the parts. He has to get his permit, insure the thing and the MSF is a must do.

The JIS screwdriver was worth every penny!
  5. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    So today we got the carb kits in the mail along with the intake rubber boots. The original ones were no longer flexible. Straight from China so I'm sure they won't live 20+ years but will more than likely live long enough. I let him throw the jets back in and go from there.

My garage is always a mess. I feel with 11k on the clock it would be best to check the valve adjustment. I have a shop manual for it. Most were in spec. Hey, never to early or late to learn how to use feeler gauges!
    IMG_20190420_101553322.jpg IMG_20190420_114219427.jpg
    Who knows how old the plugs are so a fresh set went in.

IMG_20190420_111754825.jpg
    Still needs a petcock so I rigged a funnel into the fuel line, through the filter and into the pump. After the front carb float hung up, a couple taps fixed that it fired up and ran as well as it could with no airbox. it's also ridiculously loud.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    We had some free time this evening so him and I wrestled the airbox back into place along with the crankcase ventilation system and all the coolant hoses. It's a tight squeeze in there. Fresh antifreeze went in since he flushed out the radiator earlier in the day. Filled the funnel up and she fired right up. It took awhile to warm up and still seems lean, I blame the straight loud and proud pipes. Man, we both hate them! I fiddled with the carbs a little until it would rev off idle freely.
    airbox.jpg

We found some bolts to hold the battery cover on since they were missing. The one side cover got a little melted from the previous owner. Right now we are at a standstill until he gets the funds for parts. As of today though... starting to look like a motorcycle again. He should have the stock pipes Tuesday.
    halfway.jpg

He's going to paint the radiator shell/cover. I'd love to repaint the rear fender. It's got rub marks on it from the saddlebags and a few scratches. The swingarm has some paint rubbed off so it'll at least get a rattle can repaint.
    JagLite and pennswoodsed like this.
  7. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    And it will be a good start to a tracker or scrambler ,when he tires of cruiser mode .
    JagLite likes this.
  8. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    OR I can sell him my KLX when he wants to do dual sport or my SV when he decides to sportbike it and I can get something else!!!
    JagLite likes this.
  9. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Worked on the thing some more. It would take forever to warm up, I suspected it was running lean as hell, especially the front cylinder. Grabbed the carb cleaner and was shooting it in various spots. This model has what's called a sub air filter. During decal an air cut off diaphragm lets some fuel into the exhaust to prevent backfiring, as best as I can tell and understand. My feeling is, that diaphragm is broken. We plugged the hoses off and the thing ran much better. Now it seems a bit on the rich side. The stock exhaust is back on now as well so it's not deafening. I made a remote fuel tank out of a coolant recovery tank. I traded a 6 pack of beer for a carb sync set that I have to pick up and scored an IV pole for $10 I'll pick up tomorrow to hang that crap from.
    stpipes.jpg

Kind of at a standstill until he saves up for some parts. Other than that she runs like new. Plus, I have my own junk to fix.
  10. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    So... it's been awhile. My kid ordered a bunch of parts. The petcock was a $15 Amazon buy. Sure, straight from China but as long as it doesn't leak. it's all good. His original doesn't leak but the silly plastic filter on it was trashed. Honda wanted $26 for just that. He picked up some JT sprockets for it and a new o-ring chain since the old one was dry, crusty, sticky and most the O-rings were disintegrated. The swingarm had paint rubbed off from the saddlebags. Where the paint was rubbed off, clear tape was thrown on. We yanked the swingarm off. I found paint at Advance Auto that's a damn close match to the color of the frame, the tank and fenders are a lighter red. Good thing we pulled it, all the bushings and bearings were dry. Here it sits as of tonight.
    IMG_20190523_201912585.jpg
    Haven't seen this in a long time! The countershaft sprocket held on with a retainer and 2 bolts. Little bit of blue Loctite on those guys.
    IMG_20190523_220117374.jpg
    After the swingarm is painted then the wheel needs a good polish. The clear on the backing plate for the rear brakes is in bad shape. Not sure if we will polish it out or what.

Attached Files:

11. antwon412

antwon412 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice. My first bike was a Honda shadow 600 as well. My dad bought it for me as a learning bike. Had some good times on it for a couple years before I started running through bikes one every couple years. Mine was purple though. Not exactly my first choice of a color. But hey, don’t look a gift horse in the mouth and all that
    NurseBill likes this.
  12. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    It's not a bad bike. I rode the thing when his great uncle had it, well before it was parked in a shed for several years. I'm hoping it holds up for him!
  13. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Update: I pulled a plug out and it was black, like real black. So it's really running rich. While the plugs were out we did a compression check. The first gauge I bought was junk (see the Rate my Harbor Freight tool thread) but I picked up one at Autozone that worked well. Both cylinders had over 150psi.

I figured it had to be something with the air cut offs on the carb. Each carb has 2 small diaphragms on the side. I pulled one off and sure enough, it had a crack in it. We got 2 of them from Ebay for $11 shipped. Replaced those, put the hoses back on them and on the sub air cleaner and I made a filter for the sub air cleaner. Fired it up with the choke for a change, it would start without, and let it warm up. It doesn't burn my eyes so it's golden I think. Set the pilots at 1 1/4 turn. Pulled out the carb sync, threw the adaptors on it and went at it. They were wayyyy off. We didn't separate the carbs so who knows how long it was off. 1 side was pulling 26 mm/Hg and the other was pulling 12 mm/Hg. Adjusted it to where both were pulling the same (21-22mmHg). It idles much smoother and revs clean. Well, as clean as a little V-twin can. The tank is back on and for the first time in who knows how long it'll run on it's own fuel supply.

6619.jpg

Have the rear fender off, not sure if he is going to paint it or not. I got bored one evening and knocked off all the white scabby clear of the rear drum and polished it out then gave it a brushed finish. Polished up the rear wheel too. Then flushed the front brake fluid. Nasty ass looking stuff the color of tea.

Sometimes I think he gets lazy and doesn't want to work on it or he'll say about it needing things that he didn't see when he bought it. It's tough keeping him at it because I'd like to see this thing going down the road with him riding this summer before long. He still has to get a permit yet and do the MSF course.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    The swingarm had a bunch of paint rubbed off. Bought some rattle can touch up paint in close to the same color as the frame. It looked lighter so we hit it with black primer before putting down the color and clear. Kind of came out darker than I'd hoped. But hey, it's all one color and not missing paint and covered in clear tape!
    62107140_10212104214755517_1309657587225985024_o.jpg
    He got on it a couple nights ago and put the fender back on, decided to not repaint it, pulled the saddle bag brackets off since they did nothing anyhow and put the sissy bar and seat on. Cleaned up the swingarm bushing and bearing and threw some grease at them. They may have and grease in 1992... but not much of it. Got the swing arm wrestled back in and the coolant overflow bottle in place. New rear sprocket on. Kid had to work overnight tonight so he called it quits early. Tomorrow I'll teach him how to rivet a chain or set a clip ( I didn't look at the master it came with) and adjust it. Then it can be test rode!
    IMG_20190609_211929412.jpg
    I did find a sweet Fulmer mesh jacket in his size at Goodwill for $30.
    IMG_20190610_003744646.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. A couple more coats would have lightened the color back up, but I think it looks fine.
    NurseBill likes this.
  16. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that too. We used almost the whole can of Duplicolor on it plus 4 coats clear. If it wasn't such a PITA to take off and on lol. The frame is darker than the tank and fenders. why Honda did that, I'll never know.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  17. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    So... here a couple nights ago we finished it up. I showed him the proper way to set a clip style master link. I know, "I'd never run one of those" but the fact is if you do it right they don't come apart. I had 1 fail because a) I reused a clip and b) it was probably reused before several times. It failed like instantly. Would I use one on something with actual power or in a racing situation? Absolutely not. Anyway, we got it running and I let him take the first ride ever on it, in the dark and raining. I took it around the block. Ran great, pulled smooth until I went to stop. CLANG!. WTF? Hit the rear brake, nothing but stopping, front.. a loud clang. Ran it back to the garage. Everything was in place, nothing broken. Pulled the front brake in and pushed the front down and it bottomed way too easy. I noticed the dust seal had a glue like substance. Sure enough a fork seal is junk. bad enough when you worked the fork up and down you could hear air escape and oil would come out..

No biggie. Guess he gets to learn how to do fork seals. We got them apart but I couldn't find my PVC pipe I needed. The one with the glued dust seal had got water in it. The retaining clip was corroded to the point it came out in 3 pieces. Hoping a Honda shop has them. Pics later.
  18. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    whie you are in those forks, you might want to replace the sliders too
    NurseBill likes this.
  19. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Thought the same thing too. Sadly the kid is running out of money and time and the bank of Dad is tired. I might sponsor him a set though. The internals are really clean and in great shape as hard as that is to believe.
    Nobody local has the clips anyhow :(

Ended up getting the whole kit minus the seals.
    IMG_20190618_141637682.jpg
    Letting the parts chill in some kerosene. The new retainers, bushings, sliders and O-rings should be here Friday.
    IMG_20190618_152941406.jpg
    JagLite likes this.
  20. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    The bushings came with new clips. Made a tool to hold the dampening rod.
    IMG_20190625_190315030.jpg
    Laid everything out. I did the first one. I let him do the second one himself.
    IMG_20190625_185701383.jpg
    Kind of went a little butch and used ATF for fork oil. I've used it before in a pinch. Someday I'll have proper bushing and seal drivers but today was not that day. PVC it is.
    IMG_20190625_190319077.jpg

Putting the forks back on the bike was straight forward. I showed him an old school trick to make sure your forks are parallel with a piece of flat plate steel. You lay it across the fork tubes in the front. If it lays flat and doesn't rock, you're good. If it won't lay flat and rocks you loosen the top triple clamp nut and bump things around until it lays flat. You check it a couple times during assembly. Your forks will thank you when they are running together.