My 18 year old never had much interest in motorcycle until a couple months ago. Kind of out of the blue he wanted to learn to ride. He's always been hands on when I was working on his car so this is a logical step. I figured he would buy a bike, maybe a dual sport or something eventually, but I suggested he take a MSF course. I've left him mess around on my KLX but it's on the tall side. We are both 5'6" I've just learned how to deal with it. A couple weeks ago I was at my wife's uncle's place visiting. He said about he has too many bikes (6 total) and has no time for most of them and asked me if I was interested in his 1992 Honda Shadow 600 or knew anyone who was. It had been sitting a number of years inside so it's not in running shape. I'm not a cruiser guy and had no interest. After we left it dawned on me it would be a great bike for someone who has never spent any time on one being low to the ground and not intimidating. So a deal was struck between the 2 and he was now the proud owner of a project bike. We hosed off the dust and put it on the lift as soon as we got it home. I've got ones running in wayyyy worse shape than this! His great uncle owned the bike since 94, I remember hauling it home for him in a damn snowstorm. Last registered in 2009 but knowing him, it's been ran since then. The funny thing was, the battery still held a charge and it turned over. First thing we did was pull all the leather crap off and my kid removed the sissy bar ( he hated it ) We pulled the tank and dumped out all the stinky gas that was in it. My kid chucked the leather thing on the tank. We pulled the carbs off and they really were not too bad. the pilots were plugged but that's it. The wires for the front cylinder coil were mouse damaged so we redid those. It needs a chain (the O-rings disintegrated) petcock filter and o ring, plugs, carb manifold boots since the old ones are as hard as steel, a pair of basic carb kits and some general TLC. His great uncle has the stock pipes so the drag pipes have to go. There's some spots on the swingarm where the paint was rubbed off by saddlebags that are going to get fixed as well.