PC800 modifications

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by 81tiger, Nov 8, 2015.

1. chornbe

chornbe The monkey's football Supporter

Oddometer:
    PS... I'd have probably snatched that SC off you had I seen the for-sale ad. Love those things, especially the way you had it configured.
  2. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Start a thread somewhere and I'll add to it. As you will find out, you have to do a number of small things to adjust the wheel to the left to get it centered. By small things, I mean a small change hear and there which take a bit of time unless you can [seriously] modify a swing arm.

Speaking of which, have you decided to modify the PC800 swingarm for tire clearance r will you swap it out?

Jerry
  3. chornbe

chornbe The monkey's football Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to grind, or cut-n-weld the existing swing arm webbing.

Getting it to move left... what'd you have to do? I guess I made the assumption the center of the wheel would be consistently spaced. Hmmmmm.
  4. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you use the the stock swing arm, you will need to cut a small piece out of the cross brace to make room for the taller wheel/tire. The taller wheel/tire just fits with a tiny bit of room - that means under any deformation it will rub on the cross brace. That is the easy mod.

7. rear tire mouned on wheel_clearance.jpg

PC800 vs. VT700 swing arm:
    11.  PC vs VT swing arm.jpg
  5. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll look for the side adjustment details
  6. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock tire size just barely clears the plastic liner under the trunk and full compression. Will it not make the tire contacting the liner an issue?
  7. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, good eye.

You will have to mod the trunk as there are a few spots it can rub. That said, I'm not sure you can do this on an 89 because they were tight on that side but was later fixed for 90 on. You can see the difference in clearance in this pic:

8b. NT wheel in Dr Jekyll_tight fit.jpg
    ben2go likes this.
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I am half blind in both. :cob
  9. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Any news or updates on this project?

My PC800 has been neglected for too long. (Life stuff...)
    I just hauled it to my new heated indoor garage and plan to give it some TLC. :-)
  10. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Glenn,

I have been far too busy, the bike has the wheels off awaiting new radial tires to be mounted...

I may have to sell her in her current state as we are moving and have too many bikes to take to the new house. I have the complete bike + 1990 complete body plastics + 2 spare engines + a large 5' x 5' x 2' box on wheels full of many other PC parts. Many many nice hard to find part aftermarket and oem. Who will come buy her as is for $600. You will need a trailer to take it all away. The bike is in Chantilly VA.

Jerry
  11. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    Seems like life gets busy & complicated for everybody. Congrats on the new house. Hope the riding is good there.

$600 sounds like a great deal for the right person. Post it here in the Flea Market. Would be a good Winter project.
  12. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Oh, man...

I sold my PC because I just could not bond with it, but a package like this makes it tempting to give the bike a second chance.

And I have a trailer.
    GlennR likes this.
  13. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, I have the factory radio and oem speaker grill trim that you got with the 90 model; I transferred it over to this 97 PC. it has a givi rack and top case (but it is painted to match the 90 red color).

You would need a good size trailer to take everything away in one go.

Jerry
    GlennR likes this.
  14. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I really don't need another PC800 or more projects and Chantilly, VA is over 6 hours away.

But I'm still curious about what all you're offering for $600. Is the "complete bike" assembled and in running order?

Also, curious about which bikes you decided to keep. :ear
  15. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

The first time I bought a PC, I had been riding modern sport bikes at the time and I had the same problem, I barely rode it for the first year, but after a while it grew on me, and then I used it for a daily for quite a long time, and even bought a 2nd one.
  16. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Old pic from the Blue Ridge Parkway. My old XV920 next to some old codger's PC. I'm probably now the age of the codger at that time but I got an '89 PC like that one some years later. Similar riding and running but enough difference to put me off. The PC was much more integrated but several little things conspired to drive me nuts and I was not sufficiently motivated to try fixing all of them.
    FullSizeRender (38).jpg
  17. 81tiger

81tiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glenn,

It is a complete bike but is in a slight state of disassembly. I removed the wheels and took off the tires to have the wheels PC but never got around to doing that. I thought a gold color would look really nice with the NT650V 17" wheels. A new set of radial tires would have been mounted. I also took off the rear trunk liner to modify it to give a bit more room on the left side. I have 3 total trunk liners, so the plan was to sacrifice one to adjust the final one. So all the parts are there, just need to be assembled. This wouldn't be difficult for a PC owner. There are enough parts to assemble a 2nd bike less a frame/swingarm, final drive and wheels. I consider the parts excellent spare parts (there are 2 mirrors in excellent condition). I move the bikes on 4 Dec. If I move this bike, I will make the time to put it all back together, but the price for the bike will be way north of $600. I am sure if I had the patience, it would part out for a nice sum; much more than $600.

Bikes I'm [planning] keeping:
    Moto Guzzi Norge
    Piaggio BV350
    Vespa Primavera
    Honda CB599
    Honda Hawk GT

The PC was replaced by the Guzzi and BV
    GlennR likes this.
  18. SpartanSaint

SpartanSaint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, sorry to necro this thread but it appears you're the only one who has messed with this much. Could you detail that front end swap?
  19. Doug73

Doug73 n00b

Oddometer:
    Resurrecting this thread as I bought this bike from somebody here in NJ who didn't know anything about it (must have changed hands a few times after 81Tiger sold it). I've been trying to figure out why there were so many parts on the bike that were not stock when I miraculously found this thread.

Current state of the bike:
    Excellent running engine

Needs:
    - lower trunk plastic
    - lower trunk frame
    - rear brake light and turn signal lights with harness
    - both side mirrors ($300/ea on eBay?!)
    - drive shaft
    - final drive flange for rear wheel
    - disc brake rotors (front/back)
    - front rim from bike with only left side disc rotor

Still don't know what I am going to do with this bike, but now knowing all the work 81Tiger put into it, it would be a shame to not finish it.
    TheGr8Pumpkin and TonyKZ1 like this.
  20. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody ever put a fork brace on a PC800? I just picked up a nice clean PC800 after having one that was in pretty rough shape (missing plastics/mirror leaking oil and blown fork seals) and even with everything working properly, I think the front end might benefit from the brace as the feeling is a bit vague.