PDR to TURFnSURF from RI 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RhodeHazard, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch! Sorry to hear the news Ernie. Hope it's nothing real serious but given he's in the hospital it's must be.
  2. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch for renewing my interest in exploring more of New England/Maritimes. I bought my first adv bike in late 2004 to ride a 2006 event in the great white north. As a warm, up I even rode one of Nice_Rumbles charity dual sport events around Fathers Day 2006. It was my first mud on that big pig...eventful!

Continuing my warm-up, I sought forest service/logging roads and traveled and camped through much of Maine that summer. Then I trailered west for my big deal, and never went to Maine again...ever!

That big pig is plenty worn today, so I bought a Yam wr250 in January. I shipped it west and will pick it up in Salt Lake on Sunday. I'll do my next big trip out there and leave it in Phoenix to visit...

Maybe I should ship it back!

Great report and humor. Thanks
  3. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer:
    thanks guys. keith was released with bumps bruises and dehydration. he is sore but doing well. his continuing on is not an option so we will wait with him until he and his bike are in safe hands. holed up in millinocket maine for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

4. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    maine dr came through for us in a big way today. we met him by chance fueling up quite by chance. he gave us some great advice on the trail and the number to his batphone. he even marked the entrance to madden rd for us. we headed north on 11 and rumbled up madden rd and a relaxed pace. we have been riding hard the past few days and had decided to tone it down after a few close calls. well about ten miles in a innocent looking rutted sweeping left a babyhead bit keiths front tire kicking out the front wheel and slammed him to the ground. the scalas alerted us to the incident immediately and is was good to be able to verbally triage him while reaching him. once he got up and we righted the gs we sent the bat signal and the dr came through with directions to a great inn that we could let keith rest and re-evaluate the situation. on our return to toen the skys opened up and soaked the trail. we pulled into the inn and the batmopickuptruck screeched in right behind us to see if we were okay. we grabbed rooms, stowed our gear and jumped in marcs truck for a bite for lunch and talked about drs, trails, drs, riding, drs and the local laws of the land. shortly after we returned to the inn, keith took a sudden turn for the worse and lost conciousness. we called for a rescue and transported him to the hospital. fortunately it does not seem serious but then again we are not the serious sort.

5. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    day four.
    we broke camp and headed east on brocha road towards greenville. nice gravel with some very greasy spots from the night's storms. we fueled up in greenville on moosehead lake and headed south again to try the shirley railroad bed atv trail that parallelled the turf and surf route. about five miles in we encountered water. then the gs earned a submarine commission with deep water up to the seat. once we got the big 1200 restarted we decided to abandon our ideas of trailblazing for the moment and headed back to the established route. once back in greenville we headed south on paved 16 to medford road. we rode the atv railbed trail that tracked alongside the road until just before the river crossing. we are not sure what the atv bridge does at the river though. we turned on north road and then onto flat iron. we crossed a wet washout with caution and then a boulder roadblock. while we were threading the bikes through the wormhole in the woods a lone female jogger ran on past. i don't know where she came as we were quite a ways in the woods but i guess trolling for mountain lions is legal in maine.
    we continued north on the trail with lots of loose rock and greasy wake up corners. we stopped at thesouth shore of endless lake to camp. five star roughing it tonight.

6. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    more picts from yesterdays day four.

u boat
    u turn

Attached Files:

7. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    day four

Attached Files:

8. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    washout section

Attached Files:

9. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    flat iron

Attached Files:

10. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    bouldersticle

Attached Files:

11. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    moving along

Attached Files:

12. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    endless lake camp

Attached Files:

13. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    settled in at endless lake

Attached Files:

14. Mainedr

Mainedr Fakawe

Oddometer:
    Mornin Gents. Glad that Keith is okay and safely heading home with the missus. Rotten luck, but Maine will always be here Keith. Best of luck on the rest of the journey. I'll alert the NBDSC boys that you are following Dockingpilot's route. If any more assistance is needed, you can count on the NB brothers. :thumb Bon chance!

Marc
  15. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    We'll be coming through in about a week on the heels of Ernie and Mike. Leave some tracks so don't get lost. LOL!
  16. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
  17. robbz

robbz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    beer? Did someone say "beer?" :rofl
    been following this trip.
    am not far from the route where you cross into canada-vanburen/st.leonard. If you need me, just post, I'll be checking a few times daily.
    Haven't been on the jersey boyz route for a couple of years, but it's heavily travelled by local atv crowd, so it should be passable-but be careful of atv's and such.
    Sorry to hear of your buddy, hope all's well.
  18. brooksy

brooksy Mosquito Killer

Oddometer:
    If you fellas need any help whilst north of the border, just post on NBDSC.CA or call MaineDR (He has all our numbers :wink:). Don't hesitate to call or post if you need something.
  19. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    day six
    thank you all.
    once keith headed home with his family and his gs safely tucked away, mike and i fired up our bikes and headed back on the trail. we are now drying in presque isle.

20. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    the turn on madden that keith went down on

Attached Files: