PDR to TURFnSURF from RI 2011

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RhodeHazard, Sep 2, 2011.

1. RhodeHazard

RhodeHazard ex halligan hooligan

Oddometer:
    I hope the have a blast and are able to stay dry!
  2. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Traveling the ATV trail in New Brunswick from St Leonard to St Quentin prior to the BMW's shock failure.

Attached Files:

3. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    The rear shock on Mike's 1988 BMW GS100 came apart on the trail. It appeared that the shaft had unthreaded over time to the point that only a few rows of threads held the shock together. One rut too many stripped the remaining threads from the base and it removed itself from the shaft in a violent lurch.

We cut a log to fit the space between the upper shock assembly and zip tied it to the shock and the frame. The log and the shock gave enough space for the rear tire to clear the fender as well as keeping the angle of the fangle for the driveshaft permissible.

We were still thirty miles from St Quentin so we limped back to Van Buren across the border as we had found a good machinist there earlier to extract and replace a sheared foot peg bolt from the KLR. We also reasoned that it would be cheaper and easier to order parts from the States if needed.

That night we cleaned the shaft and base with vinegar, backed the spring adjusters off and assembled the shock with the remaining threads and gobs of JB weld. A few hours later we tested the shock and found no ill effects remained. We did a quick re-evaluation of the situation, drank some bourbon and decided to continue.

Attached Files:

4. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    The shores of Serpentine Lake, New Brunswick.

Attached Files:

5. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Trail to Saint Quentin, New Brunswick

Attached Files:

6. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    Beach on the Bay of Fundy, NB.

Attached Files:

7. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you did have some good days of riding with blue skies. That's what it's all about. Like!
  8. Mainedr

Mainedr Fakawe

Oddometer:
    "Bear Knife" :eek1 I hope it was dull. It would hurt less when the bear shoved it up your a$$. :lol3

Glad you guys made it and had a good time!
  9. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    It was actually to cut the laces of the other guys sneakers so I could outrun them...

Did you guys get a chance to ride last weekend?
  10. Mainedr

Mainedr Fakawe

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3

Yep. Five days riding, 4 nites camping. 600 miles from Houlton to Flagstaff Lake and back. Mostly dirt roads and trails. :wink:
  11. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    sounds great! thanks again for all your help. it was great to meet you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. RhodeHazard

Oddometer:
    bottom line is i took way too much stuff. going much lighter and simpler next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    We decided to ride some of it again and meet with the NBDSC crew for a reunion.
    Ernie did you fellas ride the Down East Sunrise Trail ? It was really scenic.

A few pics from about a week behind you:

Because of the Irene carnage to southern Vt we decided to ride the NY State side up and cross the lake at Burlington again
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cabin in Pittsburg NH
    [​IMG]

After crossing Mallowgway Mnt we stopped for fuel and fuel at the Maine border. This is where we met Dave Stoll and crew in 09'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maine DR (Marc Russell) gathers up the Canadiens and roundivouis with us "eh". Here I am telling Moosie how we properly do things here in the USA. :lol3
    [​IMG]

Brooksy on the right encounters a live sasquatch (on the left) and tries to communicate.
    [​IMG]

Apprently Jessica Lang has moved to Maine and now waitresses at the best pie and coffee shop in the east. A most delishous dish indeed.
    [​IMG]

We visit the B-52 Bomber crash site north of Moosehead Lake
    [​IMG]

BMWKLR (Dave Stoll) from Maine joins up with us for the day.
    [​IMG]

Bumble....er, I mean Maine DR and BMWKLR discuss a stratigy for something new regarding working our way east to Houlton.
    [​IMG]

And boy was it sweet!
    [​IMG]

In East Millinocket. Here is where Mossie is breaking off to head back to Fredricton NB. Group shot.From left to right:

Dave Stoll, Mike P-Diddy Piazza, my freind for life Bumble, I mean Maine DR, The greatest guy you'll ever meet, Moosie, (Paul Monti), my brothers, John Pitts, Cheif Redcorn ( 2 time ECEA Grand Champ and former USA 6 Days Rider, Bruce Kenny), myself, Mick La Toexx....eh, it's Frech and Blackfoot Indian so forget spelling it :lol3 and Dennis DiMarco.
    [​IMG]

Marc leads us into the woods again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Northbound out of Houlton Me
    [​IMG]

Dennis decides to ride the Husky through the mud hole. We took the dry 2 track easily around it :lol3
    [​IMG]

A spectacular day. Mike here loving life and the GSA.
    [​IMG]

We decide to take the 2 track on the right.
    [​IMG]

We stop for pie and coffee in Presquile. A mean State Trooper comes in and calls in for support because we are riding the ITS without proper registration.
    NOT.
    We of course had the registration. Thats not what he wanted. No, in fact he saw the bike and told us he rode himself. Here he is calling up into the Allagash for us to secure us a place to sleep up there for that night."Its the end of the world up there boys" he said. A nicer man you could not find. Office "Pelletier". In fact almost everyone in northern Maine has the Pelletier last name !
    [​IMG]

Officer Pellitier confirms with us he contacted the owner and we will have a place when we arrive that evening. Cool.
    [​IMG]

Several hours of northbound dirt riding we arrive in Allagash.
    [​IMG]

Our view for the evening. Front row seats where the St. Johns and Allagash rivers converge.
    [​IMG]

The next day we head downeast for Calis to pick up the "Down East Sunrise Trail. Mostly a paved road day to get back down but we did manage to find some dirt.
    [​IMG]

We overnight in Calias then pick up the Sunrise Trail. 88 miles long south the Bar Harbor area. Spectacular scenery.Perhaps the best yet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Surprisingly, for a coastal trail, not too many road crossings and very woodsy and scenic. Excellent. I recommend it for sure.
    [​IMG]

Many bog crossings and some saltwater inlet crossing as well. The state has rebuilt all the bridges. You need a Maine ATV decal to ride these type trails. It helps pay for the restoration and maintence.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trick is to resist wicking it up through here. The scenery is too nice to fly through it. Sit back, spread out, and enjoy the 88 mile long ride to Ellis.
    [​IMG]

2 days later we make it back to Albany NY where we left the trucks and trailers. :1drink
    [​IMG]

We didnt cross the border this time like you did Ernie but we still got 9 days of riding in. Hoped you enjoyed. That route was produced in part by Dave Stoll, Marc Russell and the boys from NBDSC.

:thumb
  14. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you found some dry sunny weather for the bulk of your trip. The Sunrise Trail looks fantastic. Nice!
  15. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:

what happened? get lost?....:rofl
  16. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    hijack...
    DockingPilot- nice to ride with you all, glad you found some sunny days while passing thru..:clap:clap
  17. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:lol3
    Awh Ernie dont mind Im sure. Free bump.
  18. DockingPilot

Oddometer:
    Your a good man Dave. We were honored that you wanted to ride with us for the day.
  19. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    I should have been following Bruce over those mud piles on the trail up thru the bog.....don't think I had the best line on the 2nd pile...

I didn't have to look back to check on Bruce, I could hear the 990 coming....
  20. BKMLWR

Oddometer:
    If RhodeHazard wants to ride some more of Me. I can help out some....