PDX Off Pavement Ride

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by matloik, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    20210311_121913_001.jpg

This is some trail that the excavator was working on. It's right over the rise on the right side of the picture. Pretty wide by singletrack standards, but too narrow for a quad to fit.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Orly? Now I really want to see this forest trail dragon beast machine. :D

And all good. I'm with you on the trail clearing. I went and picked up a saw mount for the bikes. Maybe from the other side of Cedar Ridge, it can be put to some use? In any case; I'm game.
  3. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Thought I would post up in this thread and seek some brain picking from ya'll. Might be moving to the PDX area sometime this year from Northern NV. Obliviously I have been spoiled with having desert and forest riding at my back door in all directions but am excited at the thought of green trails and a change in terrain.

Anyone moved to PDX and been disappointed by the riding coming from somewhere else? I know it's not as open and BLM (public land) as NV but it seems like there are a ton of trails in the coastal range and souther WA that seem my style. Everything seems to be more of an "OHV" area but can these be connected easily to find more single track etc? I love flowy single track and gnarly stuff and ride a 300 currently but would consider picking up a 500 or 501 for longer distance dualsport exploring.
  4. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    I came out of CA with a fondness for open range desert and stuff for my KTM LC4e.
    It SUCKS in the trees.
    Had to get a 400 XC-W
    Your 300 will be super happy here

Welcome to the rain.
  5. ckurowic

ckurowic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been very happy since I moved here from Michigan. I'm quite familiar with NV and you're totally right about the BLM land versus here, but we still have quite a bit that's open to the public. The back country discovery routes are pretty awesome.
  6. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Other than the rain 9 months of the year, I think you'll be very happy riding around the trees on fire the other 3 months of the year.
    Whodatschrome and SierraCB like this.
  7. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    It's funny, realistically I ride only a few areas constantly but I do the like the variety of having other options. I think as long as I can have a few trail systems and single track to switch around a few rides a week I will be content between exploring areas that are farther from town.
  8. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Trees on fire... kinda like real life mario cart huh?

Rain will be a change for sure, but welcome after living in the dry for a majority of my life.
  9. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Quoting this so you can reflect on it in a year or two when you ask yourself, "What was I thinking?!?" :photog
    motorat, Apple Jam and BobcatSig like this.
  10. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Careful for what you wish for. I was born and raised in Portland, left for nearly twenty years, and returned home about six years ago. There were many factors to this, but to your point and the rain; I naively thought that it would be a welcome change from a spring and fall that is really nothing more than snow. My, how I was wrong. It gets old, fast. You will miss the sun; this I promise you.

As to the riding, the PNW is low-key awesome for nearly any type of riding. You can find just about any type of riding for whatever discipline suits you. Some is close, some is seasonal, but it's all terrific. There's enough off-road, trail, single-track, and dirt bike riding to fill a lifetime around here. Plenty of woods and singletrack on the wet side of the mountains, and miles and miles of open BLM land on the dry side.
    s1marks, SierraCB and Corradokid135 like this.
  11. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Guess I won't know till I know. It's good to hear about the endless riding as that is something I am used to in Northern NV and don't want to sacrifice it. Maybe I'll hate it and move back in a year or to or somewhere that is a little drier. Maybe I'll embrace the rain? haha!

I think having a light ADV like a 500 and keeping my 300 will be the ticket for stuff up there.
  12. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    Could be. It all depends on what you want to do. A 500 would get it done for a lot of things, so would a bigger, twin-cylinder ADV bike.
  13. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're thinking about moving up here to PDX?...there's the plenty of riding for big bikes as well on the BDR's. I'd recommend buying a KTM 950A with 265mm suspension. I think you would really like that bike. Of course you'll need a 500/501 and that 300 as well.
  14. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    HAHA! Just sold my 950A with S suspension. Wasn't riding the thing nearly enough as I like more technical single track riding.

But yeah, considering the move
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know you were selling it. I almost convinced one of my Oregon friends to go after it. Oregon has sooo much technical single track, that after a while you might start to crave a little bit of higher speed flowing 2 track!
  16. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me, I love the tech. Flowing single track can be had right over in Idaho, or so the wise have told me ha!

It was a great bike, too bad your buddy didn't pick it up. Ended up with someone local who has already giving it more use than I would have
  17. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Any good FB groups for dirt bike guys/ single track in the PDX area? The move is becoming more imminent. Thanks guys!
  18. matloik

matloik kludge Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread works for local trail riding, for example, Brown's camp, Lyda, Jordan, etc. Other threads in this subforum also pop up. A group of us did a 4-day camp-out to ride Winom Frazier out in Umatilla NF last weekend. There is a contingent of us who regularly, throughout the year, do OHV-area riding -- including areas such as East Fort Rock, Cline Butte. Keep a lookout for threads that pop up. Or start one yourself to propose a ride. The Riding Around the Hood thread is also good for singletrack riding in the Hood River area.
  19. rmattrpdx

rmattrpdx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this is the best thread for my question. I'm keen to find a BDR-style route from Portland to Astoria that avoids as much pavement as possible. I ride a Himalayan, and have some friends with even bigger rides, so gnarly singletrack is out of the question. I've got things set out to Bacona from the end of Skyline, and plan on going out this weekend to try to link something up to Vernonia or Pittsburg and continuing NW. Anyone got any tracks or tips? From Vernonia on up? There are LOTS of roads... but lots of gates.
  20. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    rmatt,
    Yeah, did that with pals halfway then bailed due to rain and slick conditions out around Buxton.

Will see if I can regain leader's interest and possible tracks. Needs to be dry and no street tires!
    DirtyTrails likes this.