PDX Ride with Mike O this Sunday 6/13

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rubber Cow, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hi All,
    If he sticks to his current schedule, Mike O will be in the Portland area this weekend.
    I'd like to take him on a little jaunt along the Columbia River Gorge on Hwy 14. North to the Glenwood area and down Klickitat River Road over to the Dalles , then either West to Hood River and up to Mt Hood or South to Maupin and over to Mt Hood.
    The current meeting time will be 9 AM at Torrefazione Coffee on NW 23rd.
    Everyone's welcome to join.. It should be a nice ride with breaks for photo ops.
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  2. MikeO

MikeO Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll try and make it - what's this bloke like?

Mike :wink:
  3. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I've heard that he's a bit gassy....the Columbia River Gorge should be calm this weekend, until his transit, when it will be very windy indeed!
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  4. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    When I read his trip report saying that there were no good roads in the NW, I thought you guys were keeping him on the boring roads on purpose, so he wouldn't tell everybody about the good NW roads. Very sneaky sending him on OR-18 to the coast... [​IMG] You don't want to take him to the really good roads, he'll never leave... :rofl

Gustavo
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    If you shake his hand, count your fingers afterwards. The guy's a horsethief.

[​IMG]

and he uses bad language.
  6. MikeO

Oddometer:
    What a crap bit of PhotoShopping :huh

Fish was determined to get me to give the 'ADVRider salute' - whilst all that have met me know that I'll reply with the traditional (as in Agincourt - and, no, that's not the new strip mall in Santa Cruz) British two-fingered salute. I was going to let this...

[​IMG]

...lazy bit of PhotoShopping go, as all he missed was the reflection in my sunglasses - but this latest effort - Puhleeze!

Mike :evil

ps He's fucking wrong about my language too - wanker...
  7. MikeO

Oddometer:
    Sounds a bit dodgy - is he staying with you?
  8. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    You guys planning on sticking to the pavement(ooh, that didn't sound right did it)?

I do know a back way in from The Dalles (WHAT?)
    [​IMG] .
    Some of it was under water a couple of weeks ago, but still negotiable....
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. MikeO

Oddometer:
    Speaking for myself - asphalt or gravel please - only got Tourances fitted & I understand from my last visit that Oregon is not green because someone spilt paint...

Mike :wink:
  10. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    c'mon Mike, there's gravel under there , somewhere :evil

'sides I'd have to FIND the road again, first :rofl
    Seriously, if you want pavement or gravel only, I suggest you either take the old highway back from The Dalles over Rowena Crest(this is a truly great twisty paved road with panoramic views of the Columbia Gorge) to Mosier. At Mosier DO NOT get on the freeway. Find Huskey road-it starts out paved and turns to good gravel and dirt, perfectly doable on Tourances, goes South West over the ridge and hits FirMt road. Turn right and you have a good gravel road which soon becomes pavement with a great twisty section that drops you off the ridge into Hood River Valley.Go directly across Highway 35 West onto Ehrk hill Road, Take Summit road due West to Dee Highway, follow the signs to Lost Lake and turn Left onto FS 18 LoLo Pass. Take Marmot road into Sandy. This is all pavement or gravel, and should disabuse MikeO of the notion that Oregon has no good roads.
    Alternatively go South from The Dalles to Dufur(stop at the pastime for burgers!) take Dufur Market Road/FS 44 West towards Mt Hood, drop North down FS 17, go over Middle Mt or North on 35 to Odell follow the route from Summit Road to Lolo Pass and Marmot road. You guys did the near end of this route going East when we rode up to HR from Stumptown a year or two ago.

Attached Files:

11. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Bump....burp :1drink
  12. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    When I showed up at Torrefazione this morining, I really didn't know what to expect. Scott swears this is not usual for NWADVRider group rides. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... :nod I will only say it was a real adventure, even if Mike would rather avoid this type of adventures for the rest of the trip... [​IMG]

I hope everybody made it home OK.

Gustavo
  13. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Cryptic. :ear
  14. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    He's a foreigner. You wouldn't like him. :lol3
  15. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    Gustavo, the Strom was yours, right? Nice bike. Did you guys get wet on the other side of the mountain?
  16. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Yes, the only GOOD bike in that crowd (before you showed up, that is) was mine... [​IMG]

It was raining from about Mt. Hood Meadows to Sandy, plus some light snow at Timberline Lodge. I don't think anybody got wet, though. Even my 10 year old 'Stich didn't leak. :thumb

Gustavo
  17. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    My little brother, Dave, wasn't sure what to make of the Beemers..."no way those are a bunch of weird ass fucking dirtbikes on steroids!" ... or words to that effect :rofl

Attached Files:

18. MikeO

Oddometer:
    Never got to say hello to Dave, but good to meet you Vernon - God, your brother looks scary :D

On the subject of things being on steroids...

[​IMG]

Mike:D
  19. Photogbiker

Photogbiker PDXGS Rider from afar

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed meeting you Mike and hope the trip goes well. Had to bug out early after lunch and blast I 84 back home, only light misty rain. Glad you got to see the mountains and some of the back country, too bad it wasn't clear like it will be all this week (90+ by this weekend). If you followed Red and made it back by dark you're doing better than most of us! :rofl