1. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,
    So i've been searching a lot lately for a good dirt/gravel route over to Bend from Portland and I haven't had much luck. OrangeYZ had a route in this thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985332 but i can't find any of those roads on google maps :cry

I'm going over in a couple weeks after I finish up work a bit early, so i'd like to ride for a bit (3-4hrs) and camp friday night then finish the rest of the ride Saturday morning/ afternoon.

I could swing above Mt. Hood and drop down or go out from Estacada area, but i'm just a n00b so I don't know the roads. I'm on a wr250r and will be packed lightly and I do good with technical stuff so if it is "passable" I think i'll be okay.

I'd really appreciate any help!
  2. Sliverpicker

Sliverpicker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go to Estacada on 224----Pass Estacada a few miles until you get to the marina at North Fork reservoir.

Turn left on the only road there. It`s called North Fork rd.-- Abbott rd and the 4610.

Stay on that road and follow the main drag until you get to the "Slide"--the road washed out a long time ago but passable on a smaller bike---you can do it !. Keep going on that road and it will dump you out at "High Rock" awesome view !

From there head south and work your way to Olallie Lake for the night---More great views and they have a small store for beer and supplies.

From Olallie head to Detroit(gas up) and turn left.

When you get to the Santiam Junction you have 2 choices-----
    #1. You can turn right on hwy 20/126 and go down a couple + miles to RD 2676 heading toward Big Lake--On your left. 2676 will take you south to the Old Santiam Wagon rd. Make another left headed Southeast and this will get you on the OBDR route to sisters also---More dirt on this route.

#2. At Santiam Pass turn right into Hoodoo ski area and follow that road to intersect the OBDR route into Sisters----From Hoodoo to Sisters is all dirt and really nice.

Take a close look at the Google maps----Use a GPS and have a blast----
  3. Grahamcracker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the route, it's very much appreciated! I'll see about making a map of it tonight with gpx track and post it up here
  4. OneLostMoto

OneLostMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Graham.

Here's a Google map of a route I did last year. Starts in Estacada just like Sliver suggests. But once you get to Timothy lake you head south on Wilson road. Then basically you're riding south between the national forest boundary and highway 26. It's dry on that side with some great views of Mt Jefferson. Route drops you off on hwy 20 near Black Butte, about 10 miles from Sisters.

Haven't ridden the other suggestions in the thread so not sure if this is better or worse, but, hey, now you have some options!

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...l=45.025009,-121.462097&spn=1.036643,2.135468
    Hambino likes this.
  5. NotAllWhoWanderRLost

NotAllWhoWanderRLost So Many Roads...

Oddometer:
    CineRider,
    That looks like a great route along. Did you have any issues crossing through the Warm Springs Reservation..? I've been to the gate on the south side at Candle Creek and it is clearly marked No Trespassing / Keep Out. :ear

6. Sliverpicker

Oddometer:
    Those are my thoughts also about the reservation land !
    Myself I stay clear of warm springs res. It can turn into a nightmare !

BEWARE
  7. OrangeYZ

OrangeYZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of the roads I listed there are from Prineville going East. I guess I worded it wrong and made it look like a Portland to Bend route. Sorry.

If I still lived near Portland, I would probably do what Sliverpicker suggested. It's the least bad route if you want to stay on dirt.
    Or truck to Bend where the real fun can start right out of town :D

Everything in the reservation that's not Hwy 26 or 216 is a big pile of fuckoff as far as I'm concerned.
  8. Grahamcracker

Oddometer:
    I take it I should just avoid the Warm Springs Reservation then :dllama

Is my best option to slab it from sisters to bend?

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5075266

This is what I have so far. The roads in between Detroit and Santiam Junction are just shots in the dark. Or is this another place best spent on the hwy?
  9. OneLostMoto

Oddometer:
    Oh, wow, it didn't even dawn on me that Warm Springs land was reservation (duh). I rode through no problem - no gates, and if there were trespassing signs I didn't see any. FYI this was August of last year.

But, I certainly don't want to lead anyone astray. Did some quick googling and found tribalpermit dot com where they sell fishing permits for the rivers and lakes in that area. So it would seem one is allowed to be in there, however the website also stated "Motorbike and ATV riding prohibited." Hmm. Off road dirt-bikes are prohibited? Or ALL two wheeled vehicles?

Sounds like Sliver's route might be best unless you have lots of time and gas for exploring.

Cheers!
  10. Grahamcracker

Oddometer:
    Did you have to carry your fuel Cinerider? Doesn't seem like you pass through much on your route
  11. CatFlap

CatFlap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly gravel/dirt on this route. 58 and 46 are paved. But other than that I think it's mostly gravel. Been a few years and last time I tried to ride it this year it was still snowed in (should all be clear now).
    http://goo.gl/maps/H6CET

Note that there is a quick poke onto the res south of Olallie Lake. I think it's a okay one though. Kinda like how 42 goes through near Timothy and you are allowed as it's a main route to the lake from 26.

From Detroit to Sisters.
    http://goo.gl/maps/ZArrP

Note that I've not been on all of these. This was a planned route for a trip a few years ago when I rode the little Zuma down to Christmas Valley (that was a blast, grueling, but a blast). I got stopped by logging on Blowout Rd. just out of Detroit and ended up just blasting the highway to Big lake. Where I did do the old wagon road (awesome road).
    you might be able to around the SE side of Black Butte ranch as well. Less highway to Sisters that way. Can't confirm that though.

I would think the logging should be out of there by now though.
    It's always a tough one because in the end you have to have an idea (hope I helped a bit). But then just wing it due to logging, landslide, etc closures.

If extra gas is able to be carried I would. Not sure on the range of the WR. My CRF250L is telling me it wants more in the tank around 100mi (reserve starts flashing at me).

If I were to do this without confirmation of openness, I'd want another gallon along just in case if possible, at least a couple MSR bottles stashed somewhere. The distance if all open is easily doable. But if a backtrack is needed due to something no longer going through.......

From there I was all paved until after Bend, I needed to make time at that point to get to CV before the gas station closed so I could get to camp. (I hit China Hat road down to Fort Rock. But that is not part of your plan.)
  12. CatFlap

CatFlap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And remember in your planning. There will be gas in Estacada, Detroit, and Sisters. And I guess Olallie, I didn't know that (only been there in the winter when everything was closed and never went right to it). :)
    There is also gas in Camp Sherman just north of Black Butte, but for the detour there you'd probably make it to Sisters on the highway if you find yourself needing it around that area.
  13. Sliverpicker

Oddometer:
    No Gas in Olallie Lake---! Full tank from Estacada should be enough.

Detroit is not far from Olallie so 1 gallon should get yo to Detroit.
  14. CatFlap

CatFlap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I guess I misread something further up. :)
  15. OneLostMoto

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen!

It just so happens I spent last weekend in Bend and took the opportunity to try out some of these suggested routes. Here's a little report with maps and some photos because who doesn't love photos?

There are some good options above for off-roading to Detroit Lake, these are suggestions for where to go next.

I took Catflap's lead and followed Blow Out Rd (aka NF-10) south out of Detroit Lake. It was fast gravel, dirt, and even a little pavement mixed in. The route had old growth forest, ridge line views, and tranquil creeks and lakes. You know, if you're in to that sort of thing. :-) Nothing tricky on this road, would be big bike friendly.

Here's the map for this section:
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zeGiUIt1IxRo.kP0gUhxkqvug
    [​IMG]

Lovely views.

[​IMG]

Route goes by Tule Lake. Awesome camp spot.

[​IMG]

Route spits you out onto Hwy 22. Take that toward Santiam Pass but pull off before you get to Hoodoo. Check it:
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zeGiUIt1IxRo.kGQc8ccoxSls
    [​IMG]

^^Had to make this route from my GPS track because there's no roads here on Gmaps. What there is though is a network of ATV trails. :evil NF-830 will take you through some towering trees then drop you onto the most delightful ATV trail, part of the newish 'Santiam Pass Summer Motorized Recreation Area.' Here's an OHV map of the area. Super fun. Pick your poison and use this to connect to Santiam Wagon Road.

From there, ride Old Santiam Wagon Road east and use a few connectors to drop you onto HWY 242 just outside of Sisters. Like so:
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zeGiUIt1IxRo.kgJVm5hBvCMw
    [​IMG]

Old Santiam road takes you through a spooky burnt forest.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you have time/gas, do a side trip up to Cache Mtn for views of Mt Washington, Jefferson, pretty much every peak in the Cascade Range.

[​IMG]

Mt. Jefferson. Can you spot the nail in my tire? Surprisingly, didn't lose any air. Punctured and plugged all in one step!

[​IMG]

---

Ok, for Sisters to Bend I have two options (both of which I rode last weekend). The first, and fastest is B-S Logging road. It's a wide gravel road, mostly exposed. some nice high desert views and ponderosa forest riding. There are a few sections that have deep silt that'll give your bike that swimming feeling. Slow down here.

Map:
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zeGiUIt1IxRo.kJGFOcyEDXSI
    [​IMG]

Views from B-S Logging Road aka NF-4606

[​IMG]

Volcanic silt.
    [​IMG]

The other option is less dirt, but more scenic. Head south on Three Creeks Lake road (paved). Stop and see the lakes then head SE on NF-370. This takes you up to about 6400 feet on an awesome dirt road. Heads up, I had to push through some snow piles still on the road but they should be all gone in a few weeks. Not too difficult on the Husky, but a bigger bike or wrong tires and your back wheel will turn into a high-powered slurpee machine.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zeGiUIt1IxRo.k73PXpiXeFjg
    [​IMG]

Three Creeks Lake. Weekends it can be a little busy, but there's a camp store with snacks here. Mmm, snacks.
    [​IMG]

Snow piles. Imagine they'll be gone in a few weeks. TE610 made it through just fine though I did end up walking it for one section.
    [​IMG]

OK, thanks for the inspiration guys! Get out there!

[​IMG]
  16. Grahamcracker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for scouting it out Cinerider, i'll be leaving friday most likely and doing the same route! Looks like a blast.

Did you do it all in a day? I'm trying to figure out how long it will take me to get from portland to Olallie lake taking Abbot rd. where I plan on camping overnight.
  17. Romanousky

Romanousky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That there is some good info. Thank you sir
  18. OneLostMoto

Oddometer:
    Hey Graham,

I did not do this all in one day. Wasn't able to leave PDX last Friday until 3pm so I took HWY 46 all the way to Detroit Lake before starting the dirt. I'd forgotten how beautiful 46 is.

I rode Abbott a few weeks ago and it took me 3 hours from gas station in Estacada to High Rocks. Half hour of that was taking pics and wondering how to make it over/under trees, so may be faster now. My best guess is is another 3 hours of casual riding should get you to Olallie no problem.

Going all the way to Bend in one day via these dirt roads would make for a REALLY long day. Camping at Olallie sounds perfect. Or split it up, ride half of it on the way out, and the other half on the way back.

Cheers
  19. Grahamcracker

Oddometer:
    It turns out I was overly optimistic about the condition of my rear tire on my dirt wheels. It definitely needed to be changed and I won't get the wheels back until Friday, trip postponed for a week or two.

I will get out and do Abbot this weekend and scout out some camping spots. Thanks for all the info again!

Really excited to ditch the trailwings for the D606 tires too :D.
  20. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Hey, I might be inclined to join you on the 4th if you're wanting company. I have relatives in Bend I could stay with too. In fact, I just got back from there today.:D

Either way, I've saved this thread and will be doing it at some point in the future. Thanks for the work Cinerider!