Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ricochetrider, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Runswithscizzors

Runswithscizzors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your updates. Hopefully next riding season finds that collarbone healed and you back out on the road. Maybe I'll see you out there by Indiantown Gap, haven't been through that way yet. If you see a Black Tiger 800 prowling yourneck of the woods, might be me!
  2. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy! I'll definitely be back in the saddle as soon as I can or when the weather permits. I'll keep an eye out for the black tiger.
    Have a good rest of the season.
    Shiny side up n stuff.
  3. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    You and I are prowling the same back roads, and just finished writing about Waggoner's in my last RR. I was really sorry to hear about the crash, but a buddy of mine often says, "If e can write a check to fix our biggest problem, we're still doing okay." There's truth in that.

I am glad you're okay. Hang tough, heal up, and let's get you back in the saddle come springtime.
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Ah shit man!!!
    Thankfully you're not worse than you are!!! Take the winter to heal up, something that takes longer than it used to!
    Looking at the bike, you/it must have hit something pretty hard!?!? The old RSs and RTs are beautiful bikes, a damn shame when they get bent up. And fairings and tanks don't come cheap. Hard facts would probably tell you to scrap it for parts.
    I hope you are able to listen to your heart!
    ricochetrider likes this.
  5. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Scootac.
    Yeah... At this point, I'll probably sell it for whatever I can get out of it. Of course there are several years of mono shock RSs that were built..... Another one will come along soon enough. I want to sell my K1200 too, I guess, and pare the "herd" (such as it is) down to three bikes. Well, that's the loose plan at this point.

Edit: now I'm thinking I will definitely look at it to see if it's salvageable before making any decisions one way or the other. I have all winter to figure this out so no panic.

Cheers, man!
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Hey ever'body.
    Wanted to follow up to say my beautiful 1993 R100RS was bent beyond repair. Well, beyond MY repairing it, that is. Obviously the motor could be swapped out into another frame, and that's whats happening as we speak. A good friend, my airhead "guru" offered me some money on it and I sold it to him without even really thinking about it. He's helped me a lot over the years So I just let him have it. He even let me pull all the goodies (Ohlins shock, heated grips, Skene Designs LED Hyper Lights, etc) off the bike to keep for my new bike. He's a good friend!

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, Back at the ranch...

I loved that bike so much. Of course, BMW made er... quite a few R100RSs over many years. Lucky for me, eh? SO, I began keeping an eye peeled on the World Wide Web for another. Soon enough, I found an 89 model on eBay- and the guy wasn't too far away. That is to say he is in the same state (Pennsyltuckey) as I.
    Looking at his ad, reading his text, it dawned on me that this was a bike I had actually looked at several years prior. I had just joined the MOA - primarily for access to their Flea Market sales pages.

The former owner, lived in Canada. Guy I bought it from had Mr Ontario ride the bike down to PA, where he helped with all the import paperwork and stuff, then flown home. The ebay ad detailed how he had found the bike on the MOA site, blah blah blah... Given the time frame, I figured this had to be the very bike I looked at way back when! I emailed him after reading his ebay ad and told him this story. Reallyr nice guy, and we began a dialogue which ended in my taking a road trip to meet him and see the bike, then my going back to get the bike.

We talked back n forth all winter long. I didn't really know it but he held the bike for me! After all was said and done, bike loaded and we were getting into the truck to leave his house, I asked if he'd gotten any interest in the bike- as I knew he'd had it advertised after his 2 (back to back) ebay ads expired. He replied, "Yes, I had several offers but I wanted you to have it." !!! Wow. I was floored. This guy is SUPER nice and genuinely so.

He threw in a whole bunch of extra stuff, including two very nifty inner BMW bags for the saddle bags. They are red & blue- very 1960s Pan Am Airlines looking!

Anyway, here is my NEW (to me) 1989 RS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike, being a Canadian motorcycle, has its speedo in Kilometers! :lol3
    It shows (i think) about 79 K kms, so that equals roughly 49,000 miles. Probably, the novelty will wear off right after I get my first speeding ticket! :doh I'll be like, "HONEST officer! IT SAID 70!"
    (well OK KMH showing is actually SLOWER than MPH- so, um.. you know)

Anyway, there it is kids. That makes TWO white bikes in the stable now. Look for my 2016 posts to Pennsyltuckey Noodlin coming to an ADVrider site near you soon... and I mean it cant be soon enough!

CIAO.

PS:
    YES I removed that back rest. It'll go back on when my GF & I take road trips, so she can lean back on it and chill. It pops off and goes back on very easily- with only one set screw.
    The_Scottsman likes this.
  7. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    February 29, 2016
    Leap Day? Leap Year?

Well, whatever. I leapt on a bike. Actually, this was my 2nd time back riding after my November 8th crash on the old 93 R100RS. And my first ever ride on the *new* 89 R100RS! :clap

Spring has been teasing us to some degree here in the USA Mid Atlantic Region, poking its sheepish head out from behind Winter's curtain periodically, as if to see what's up. We had a REAL warm day on Sunday 2/28- but as it happened I had a gig in Delaware, so being as it was gonna be too cold to ride home Sunday night, I took the car. Also, I didn't have time to do any riding on Sunday- having to drive down to work kinda consumed the whole day.

Knowing it was going to get cold again, it was Monday or no day out riding, so I fired up the new bike! I was dressed for the cold, not that it was all that cold- but chilly and quite windy. The bike seems a bit cold-natured so I gave it good warming up and moved it into launch position. Went back inside to collect my gear, came back out to find it leaking fuel out of the L-hand carb! I'd put the bike on the side stand, an aftermarket stand which gives it a pretty good lean angle. Gasoline was pouring out, all over the shift lever and my asphalt driveway! Well, in truth, I haven't done one single thing to this bike. Unloaded it off the truck and got it on a battery tender. That's it. I'd started it to make sure the battery was hot but that's all until Monday.

After a quickie clean-up, I saddled up and took off. I was riding with a friend who has a really cool 68 R60(?).
    By the time I got to his place, the carb was fine, but I put a bit of cardboard under the bike in case any fuel leaked out on his well kept driveway.

Anyway, not a lot to report other than having had a great first ride on the bike. everything works really well. I believe this bike was way better cared for than my 93 ever was as it is super smooth in every way. It rides like a champ, tho the rear end is a little mooshy with the factory(?) shock being pretty lightly adjusted. The front end, which has had new head bearings and new progressive springs added, is rock solid tho. Can't wait to get my Ohlins on the back, and get it all dialed in. It's gonna be a gas.

We rode along the South Mountain, and up over the ridge from Cumberland into Adams County on Whisky Springs Road (love that name!). Across the valley to PA rte 34 S, down to Biglerville, then R onto PA 234 over to Arendtsville, thru what everyone calls The Narrows and out to US 30. Stopped for a bite and a beer at the old Bobby A's, near Caledonia State Park. I think it's called Greenwood Tavern or some such lately, but it'll always be Bobby A's to me. We made a R onto PA 233 S then, and rode all the way back to 34 thru Pine Grove Furnace State Park, down into Mount Holly Springs, then back to Boiling Springs and my buddy's place. I went on home from there, and had 169.7 KILOMETERS showing- as my bike, being a Canadian Import model- has a metric speedo! :lol3

Anyway, I forgot to bring my camera- but took a few pix with my phone. Damn few, actually- but here ya go, some eye candy for your viewing pleasure. Cheers! Shiny Side Up out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more pix of my friend's fine older airhead:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, quite a nice day out. LOVE my new RS! It felt really great to be riding again after the crash and such a long winter of total inactivity.

See ya.
    B10Dave likes this.
  8. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Been doin some Pennsyltuckey Noodlin past few days- about 570 miles or so in the last three days, to be specific.
    Been riding the "Big Rig".

Here's a few images from my travels, all shot with my phone, all gratuitous motorcycle pix. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brucester and B10Dave like this.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy for you.... you're back at it. New RS looks good!
  10. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Went for a nice ride yesterday to celebrate the Summer Solstice. Clocked 272 miles, riding the Big Rig. Since the forecast was for temps in the 90s, I went north into the woods and mountains.
    [​IMG]

Even got a few "dirt" miles in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped to "smell the roses", and a handful of bikes went by as I took a few pix... a bunch f people were out yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped in Lock Haven at a cheezy diner I've been to before, the Texas Restaurant. Had a couple "Famous" Texas dogs and some iced tea.

[​IMG]
    Since 1918? That COULD be referencing the hot dog buns I had. Guess they don't sell to many "famous" dogs these days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the time I got back down to Harrisburg, the sun was setting and the moon was rising, but the lights on the capitol building had not yet lit up...

[​IMG]

If you look closely in this pic, you can just see the large red moon as it floats into the hazy clouds above the rail cars, in the "V" of the old Market Street bridge.

[​IMG]

Waited a few minutes to get it when it popped out above the clouds:

[​IMG]

By then the sunset was full on

[​IMG]

and shortly after, darkness was setting in over the Mighty Susquehanna

[​IMG]

a little while later, the Solstice Moon was in full sail over the back yard.

[​IMG]

My route, this fine day, was 11/15 to I-81 N, 322 W, back to 11/15, to PA 104 from Liverpool to Mifflinbuirg.
    At Mifflinburg I took Forest Hill Rd out to PA 192 W(?), made a right at McCall Dam Rd, took it over the mountain to East Winter Rd, out to PA 880, up to PA 44 at Jersey Shore. I rode North on 44, thinking I'd make a left and head back down to Renovo, but instead cut off a little earlier, riding down a small creek valley to Hyner State Park and Hyner View, where I intersected PA 120 below Renovo, and headed down to Lock Haven.

From Lock Haven I took US 220 S to PA 64 > PA445 to Milhiem, turned west on PA 45 > PA235> 35> 322 E, back down to 11/15 and downriver -detouring, due to construction closures of 11/15 north of Summerdale, thru "downtown" Marysville- to the house.

Along the way, I rode along the Susquehanna, the West Branch of the Susquehanna, Pine Creek, Hyner Creek, West Branch again, the Juniata River, and back to the Susqehanna, crossing Sherman's Creek & the Conodoguinet. Also rode along numerous mountain streams, so it was kind of a watershed day for me.
    popscycle likes this.
  11. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    How did I miss you getting the RS???
    Congrats!!!

In my neck of the woods yesterday... thought those pics looked familiar.
    Next time at the Texas, get the baked hamburger... shaped like a hot dog with the same great sauce. Mmmmm mmmmm!!!
    Or go around the corner to The Old Corner Grill.... a small place but good food!

And at Millheim, you would have turned east on 45 to get to 235.
  12. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Hi Scootac,

oh yeah, right you are, east it was and no doubt. I''l try the baked hamburger some time and check out the Old Corner Grill.

Ever pop into the Elk Creek cafe in Millheim? Great beers, good food... did we talk about this already?

Cheers, man!
  13. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Wife and I have been to Elk Creek... but I'm not much of a beer drinker and their food is just so-so IMO.
    If you are into the microbrewery thing, mjght want to check out Rusty Rail Brewery in Mifflinburg. VERY nice atmosphere!!! And I'll stop there...
    Was that RS restored/repainted or original? Nice find whatever!!!
  14. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    EDIT: looking back and saw this pending from .... way back a ways. finally on Nov 3... "Post Reply"!

Howdy guys. Been a long hot summer here in Paradise, but I have had the occasional day out "noodlin" about on the bike(s)... Been taking some pix and just now got a sort of "best of" uploaded so thought I'd share my exploits.

Sadly, zero BritBike content here... [​IMG]
    But anyway, I'll not dwell on that as the focus is simply to share mostly scenic stuff from around Central PA (and perhaps a little commentary).

As many of you already know, the area where I live seems almost deserted at times- great roads n stuff and just nobody home- you can stop the bike, and stand about in the center of the road taking pix & hangoing out, without any worry at all that somebody's gonna run you over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So of course I have fun doing this... but after a while how many pix can one take of completely deserted roads in the woods? OK OK 100s I'm sure! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some great pix of an old honky tonk "hotel" up in the country not to far off. This place is an awesome destination for a beer and a burger on a summer Sunday- they have a back yard (or garden) with horseshoes and games, shady tables, and you can park your bike in the grass back there and admire it as you eat n drink, if you like.

The Carsonville Hotel is cool, and so are the folks who run the old place- family owned since who knows when.
    Here's a color pic but I am getting more into black & white- my camera, as I've mentioned before has a "dynamic monochrome" mode which I particularly like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the gas pump out front- apparently, back in the day, you could get gassed AND gas up for the road! [​IMG] Ah, the good ol days, eh boys?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one for the road:

[​IMG]
  15. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Out n about yesterday. I'm off work til Nov 21, and we are going to SENEGAL for 10 days, lvng Saturday. Here's a few pix I've taken lately, some of which I was actually OUT ON A BIKE!! I got a new camera, an Olympus OMD EM1, and a couple nice lenses, so I'm out getting to know my new "rig".

The good ol Rockville Bridge, a short ways north of Harrisburg

[​IMG]

The Marysville "subway", a tunnel that crosses under US11/15

[​IMG]

another covered bridge in Perry County, this is on private property actually, not on a public roadway. you can see the old stone mill behind the bridge.

[​IMG]

yesterday was hazy but i enjoyed the warmth of the sun just the same. Not many warm days left in 2016, I don't think...

[​IMG]

one of the coolest barns in this area- it has mad "patina"! :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the obligatory "art shot" of the same barn.... killer *bokeh*, yes?
    (not sure exactly if this is "killer bokeh" or not but I guess this is some sorta hot lick photog craze buzzword/phenom and I'm tryin to get with the program here) This is sort of "subject as non subject", my way of looking (or not) at it.

[​IMG]

lovely autumn colors, I think this area is about peaked out right now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another B&W shot

[​IMG]

one more color shot:

[​IMG]

and my fave pic from yesterday:

[​IMG]

Almost 1 year ago, on Sunday Nov 8, I crashed my old 93 RS. Nice to be out this day, on a bike, lovin life, as I continue my Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'. We are going to Senegal (non bike) for a couple weeks. Hopefully, when we get back there'll be some time to get out and wind down what has been a crazy 2016.

Cheers, guys!
  16. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    I recognize a lot of these haunts. Glad to see you upright and rolling again!
  17. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I'll have to pay Carsonville a visit....once I find it on a map.

Good ol days gone???

Pretty sure you can get gassed and gas at most any Sheetz!!!
    :D

Have a good trip!!!
  18. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Scootac!

Get down to the Millersburg Ferry Campgrounds on the west side of the Susquehanna off 11/15 where PA 34 intersects, take the ferry to Millersburg, then take 209 to Lykens. Make a right at the light, go a couple blocks and turn left out of town past the park, and that road takes you straight (figuratively speaking) to Carsonville Hotel.
  19. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Gotcha!
    Went to the Ned Smith Center coupla years ago, so have an idea. We ate lunch in Millersburg, The Wooden Nickle I think. Not bad....considering the options.
  20. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    1st edition, 4/3 2017:
    was out for 144.9 miles of smiles on The Big Rig... didn't take too many pix but did find a *new* old covered bridge I'd somehow never seen before- even tho I've been riding pretty much right past it for like ever.

phone pic: Big Rig In Repose

[​IMG]

phone pic II: Deja Vu; We've All Been Here Before
    (274 above intersection of PA 274 & 75)

[​IMG]

New Old Covered Bridge: New Germantown Bridge, near village of same name

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This bridge is too short for the typified "arch" construction so prevalent locally. The arch is angular, but still a prime support feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One in B&W just cuz

[​IMG]

Bonus funky old abandoned house pic:

[​IMG]

thanks for lookin.
    ciao 4 now!
    shiny side up, kids.
    Brucester and scootac like this.