Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ricochetrider, Oct 21, 2012.

1. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    09/05/2017

A back injury this Spring has kept me off my bikes for much of the summer, so this ol Pennsyltuckey Noodlin thread has been silent for a while. Finally got back to riding a little in late July, and back to work just in the past couple weeks. Had a nice ride out yesterday (Labor Day here in the USA) with the GF. It wasn't much but we made a point to go cross the Susquehanna River on the lovely old Millersburg Ferry. Listed on the National Register Of Historic Places, this ferry line has been running continuously since around 1817 or so- at least the records do go that far back!

Powered by a smallish Diesel engine and driven by a wooden paddlewheel, this is the last ferry across the Mighty River, the ONLY crossing between Harrisburg & Sunbury, and the last paddlewheel driven ferry boat- in fact according to Wikipedia, it is "believed to be the last "wooden double stern-wheel paddle boat" to be operating in the United States."

Anyway, IF you are ever upriver above Harrisburg PA check into the Millersburg Ferry. If you're coming east to west, west to east, or north to south you can do it without any inconvenience, as there are roads in all directions from either side of the river. The best part is IT"S CHEAP!- the cost for a bike and "driver" is 7$ US dollars + 4 USD for a passenger, so for ONLY $7.00 (solo) $11.00 (2 up), you get a great ride across the big wide river. Bang for the buck is strong here, as is the entertainment factor!

Things were very busy with the holiday yesterday, vehicles crossing both ways and people joy riding back and forth just as passengers. If you get to the west side, the landing is in a campground near the eastern terminus of PA rte 34 at US11/15. On days when they aren't so busy, there is a white-painted old door nailed to a tree, on hinges. You swing the white door out so they can see it from across the river and they come across and get you!

Old's Cool!

We rode the R100RS. Enjoy some pix:

"Ferry Open"

[​IMG]

Ferry landing across the river @ Millersburg PA

[​IMG]

Side view, paddlewheel, grey ferry boat

[​IMG]

Ferry, loaded, making return trip east to west

[​IMG]

Crew members "poling" the ferry around

[​IMG]

Engine Room

[​IMG]

The GF, the RS, the boat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Pilot

[​IMG]

The Paddlewheel

[​IMG]

The End

[​IMG]

Have a great day, be safe, have fun.

Cheers!
  2. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great fun! I rode it about 3 years ago. We had to wait on the east side for a bit (the ferry had just left when we got there) and when our boat came to get us there was a bluegrass band playing on it. The band didn't make the return trip with us, but it was still a hoot.
    ricochetrider likes this.
  3. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Out on the Big Rig (02 K1200RS) yesterday, and began searching out a series of no less than 7 covered bridges in a (probably approx) 15 mile stretch of the local Sherman Creek in Perry County, PA. One of these is definitely on private land and locked down but it is possible to walk up to it and see. it. But the rest are, far as I know open and drivable. We had ridden around in a big loop and ended up over here on this mini "quest" later in the day. My buddy wasn't too thrilled about it- like I was- so being late and all, we only stopped at 2 bridges. Next time I'll go back and take a small tripod to get much better photos of these old marvels, which I just love.
    Kinda hard to see but follow PA rte 274 from New Germantown (LEFT) over as far as. it goes on this page (almost to Louisville) and you can se the bridges notated on this Gazetteer map page.

[​IMG]

we were going west to east, on our way back to Cumberland County, so...
    1st up, the New Germantown Bridge.

[​IMG]

There are details such as height, width, length, & I believe capacity, on websites n stuff here & there. I'll just let the bridges & photos speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The New Germantown Bridge features some mortise & tenon joinery, but there are also metal strap fasteners used as well. And if you look closely, you can see the timbers are all sawmill-cut, rather than hand hewn- so this was built on the cusp between old and new techniques and materials usages clearly there is a much newer roof in place as well, looks like pressure treated 1 or 2 X6's:

[​IMG]

as witnessed in this photo below, as well as the above pic... apparently some folks tend to push the limits of height restrictions on this bridge!

[​IMG]

universal signs of teenage noodling as well here... obviously don't know who Kayla & Ben are, but together or apart, I hope both are well and happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next little bridge down stream is the Mount Pleasant Bridge.
    This one is a little shorter in span so has a higher weight rating. 8 tons VS 5 tons on the NG Bridge, with higher allowances for "combination" vehicles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many local covered bridges have a rounded arch type construction, an important structural aspect called the Burr Arch.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_Truss

These two bridges feature what I saw called (on one website) "modified" Burr Arch construction- the arch is flat-topped in both bridges. Each is slightly different from the other.

[​IMG]

Again, sawmill limber used as clearly seen here, as well as metal fasteners, with very little mortise & tenon construction.

[​IMG]

barn swallow's eye view:

[​IMG]

Also seen on the Mt Pleasant Bridge is open roof lath as opposed to solid decking, and a new metal roof.

[​IMG]

My riding buddy Dave here, with the Mount Pleasant Bridge.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now guys. Here is link for some reading and map if you want to check these out in greater detail...
    http://www.pacoveredbridges.com/perry-county/perry-county-covered-bridge.html

There is information on the arches and load distribution variances as well.

Hopefully this fall I can get back out there for a solo ride with my camera and tripod to spend a whole day seeing and photographing all of these!
    Ride safe out there.
    popscycle and bobw like this.
  4. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Very nice!!!
    If you're interested, there are a bunch up in Columbia County too. I think most are north of Bloomsburg.
  5. ExxonValdez

ExxonValdez Trailers are for boats. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread, planning on doing a little run through PA this Fall. I've been taking notes.
    Thanks!
    Gham and ricochetrider like this.
  6. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are right near me! I ride a good many of those roads real often.
  7. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Was continuing the Perry County Covered Bridge Quest the other day. Think I found 4 more! Have plenty more pix to upload later but here's a teaser:
    fullsizeoutput_1943jpegSep 22, 201710.45.58jpeg-3.jpg
    triumphsidehack and scootac like this.
  8. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Nice view of the RS ftom that angle!
    HDR to get detail of the bike and not get washed out by the light at the end of the bridge?
  9. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Scootac; look in his mirrors. I'm thinking forced flash.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    OK.... possible. Or is that reflection of light at other end???
    :hmmmmm
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn several times!
  11. Gham

Gham What's for lunch? Supporter

Oddometer:

I was thinking the same thing,but it may be next summer.
  12. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hell....it IS summer....with some fall color!!!
  13. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics and ride reports ! Funny reading how you think south central Pa. is never crowded, I am born and raised in Montoursville Pa. been riding motorcycles for 14 years (on the road) had dirt bikes from 8 until I was 40. Anyhow my point is I never ride southern Pa because it's to crowded for me! We always head north or west of here. Funny stuff and the town of Montgomery ( another small town up here) still has no red light nor does it need one....Amish buggys always stop at stop signs
  14. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure that last pix was no flash... ? Not entirely certain tho, but I did lighten it up just a little in post... That white fairing just lit up, I'm thinking it was all ambient light there.
    B10Dave likes this.
  15. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    Bald Eagle, 7 Mountains trails, Rothrock and some fun in Amish country. 20170924_145005.jpg 20170924_145029.jpg 20170924_181121.jpg Untitled.jpg
  16. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was that from 9/18? I saw a a green Kawi like that in the area you show on Siglerville pike road, I was on a KTM 1290 super adv
  17. ddavidv

ddavidv Dark web dangerous

Oddometer:
    NurseBill and bobw like this.
  18. NurseBill

Oddometer:
    No, I was there on the 24th.
  19. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    That's awesome! I had no idea that anyone is doing tours on vintage bikes! Between my friends and I, we have a load of old bikes and have thought of doing just this... mostly pipe dreaming but I see now it is viable!
  20. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, so meanwhile, back at the ranch.... here is the next installment of images from The Perry County Covered Bridge Quest. Went out late in the day a couple weeks ago and found some more bridges. Some of these have been completely rebuilt, so are not old but are full-on replicas! happily, somebody somewhere recognizes the historical and intrinsic value of these old bridges and somehow got some money for them!

Because I am coming at these from the east, I began with what I'm pretty sure is the eastern-most public bridge- there is one other east of here yet on private property, and doesn't have a road going thru it now- the property is accessed via another driveway- although that bridge may have been at one time on the primary E-W road going thru there?

Anyway, let's begin with the Adair Bridge, quite near to Loysville PA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is a fairly long bridge, but this is a replica; it certainly has a new roof!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moving on now to the Bistline Bridge, up stream a little ways:

[​IMG]

At a glance, to the untrained eye, or to the casual observer, all these bridges look very much alike...
    So how does one capture images of various bridges which, presented en masse, could end up looking all the same?
    Look for varied viewpoints?

[​IMG]

Maybe include elements of the bridge's surroundings or change up the lighting in interior shots?
    [​IMG]

Getting on in the day, in the perfect Golden Moment, I found the Enslow Bridge basking peacefully in the afternoon sun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is no replica, this old beast is showing some wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, after some noodling around, I found another replica, Book's Bridge. Just lovely.

[​IMG]

This one had a nice informative sign detailing the bridge, its structure, and its history. Also included in the information was a list of what I assume are all covered bridges in Perry County, PA- so I'll add these others to my Quest!
    -[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the look of this image- the full frontal profile of the bridge, the view straight thru it, and all the surroundings as well.
    And of course the MOTORCYCLE doesn't hurt the shot! ha ha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hmmm...trying to keep it interesting... to whatever degree of success? Eye of the beholder etc...
    [​IMG]

.... and of course, if one wishes to not have one's myriad photos of several quite similar bridges all appear alike, one may always introduce outside elements. Now... what to add?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even tho this is a replica bridge, there are some variances, apparently- Book's Bridge has a cedar shingle roof, for example rather than a metal roof. The edge of the roof reveals the shingles as seen here.

[​IMG]

Cheers, guys! Stay *tuned*....

and check back for the continued Perry County Covered Bridge Quest right here in Pennsyltuckey Noodlin.