Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ricochetrider, Oct 21, 2012.

1. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread but will be watching it from now on. I live very close to the OP, I'm just down the road in Etters and ride those areas all the time.
    ricochetrider likes this.
  2. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Feb 28, 2018

Howdy folks, just popping by to say I've been out riding just a wee bit so far in 2018. Was off work yesterday, and today too. Had the mighty K1200RS out some time back... (last week?) we had an unbelievable near- 80 degree day. Now it's cooler, expected high around 60 +/-. I'm riding the R100RS.
    Hope everyone's doin' well, and oh BTW- happy new year!

P2270147.jpg P2270145.jpg
    Brucester, popscycle, bobw and 5 others like this.
  3. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    R100RS......

:thumb:thumb:thumb
  4. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Was out again today, had a lovely ride. !92 miles or so. Here are some pix of stuff along the way.

[​IMG]

This person has a whole pile of cool cars just rotting away at the roadside. Not sure why, but maybe he's one of these people who just want everyone to see the shit he can let go, that he doesn't care about. I can only imagine that many have asked to buy this one or that one... and yet, here they are, slowly disintegrating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've ridden past this place many times, always in summer when the grass and weeds are too much for me to want to wade thru. Not today tho. Rusty old cars n trucks make interesting subject matter!

Meanwhile....

cue angles choir... and...go.

[​IMG]

No idea how many times I've passed this sign over the years... and never noticed it... until today.

[​IMG]

downtown Millheim, destination: Elk Creek Cafe. CLOSED until 4 PM. BUMMED.

[​IMG]

WHOA, Nellie.

[​IMG]

in retrospect, I should have knocked on the door and asked if I could get better photos... but I didn't so these will haffta do...

[​IMG]

and speaking of horsepower....

[​IMG]

not often that you see 5 locomotives pulling a train. Musta been one long, heavy train!

[​IMG]
    My bike was a Canadian import RS, the speedo is still in km/h and not MPH. I rode roughly 473 kilometers yesterday and today.

TTYL.
    Tom

Brucester, popscycle, bobw and 3 others like this.
  5. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Millheim and Woodward???
    You was in my territory!
    :D
  6. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    I wanted to get a beer in at the Elk Creek Cafe- but they don't open til 4 on Wednesday... So I dashed all the way to Shamokin Dam and had a beer & a bite to eat at Skeeters, then rode down 147 all the way to Dauphin.
  7. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    147 is a lot nicer way to travel than using I-15 on the other side!
  8. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    You take pictures that stand out to you.
    I take those same scenes for granted.
  9. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you know I've always wanted to get up close to those cars and trucks to shoot them... but in summer the weeds are always too much for me to want to tackle. Yesterday was fine tho! Man, I'd love to talk to the guy or person who owns those old cars n stuff there to see just what he has going on... letting those things sit there and rot, is a shame as far as I'm concerned but hey- each to their. own.

I have a few friends up there between Woodward and Aaronsburg (Cemetery Road, among other places) so I hung out up there a lot back in the 90s. The Valley sort of "are up" lately and is getting somewhat gentrified. That and a bunch of Lancaster County Amish moved in and seemed to have almost pushed the old Nebraskan Amish out. I've probably been in the old Woodward Inn at some point, years ago. But until yesterday, I never really looked at that sign. I was on the hunt for good images as I rode around yesterday, and am pretty happy with what I ended up getting. The Elk Creek Inn is pretty awesome, with really good ales- altho it's kind of expensive, has funny hours, and good luck getting a table on a Sunday!

I must say that all the little organic and local farmers up there are really benefiting from the whole "locavore" movement, tho- and that includes some of my friends- much as they might lament the changes the area has undergone.
  10. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    I can rememeber Dad taking us to the Woodward Inn for Sunday dinner....mid 60s I'd guess. They served food family style....just bringing bowls and plates of food to us. When they got empty, they filled them back up! Dad really liked those places!!!
    Yes, Penns Valley has really changed.
    Many dairy farms years ago. Then Amish moved up but seemed to prefer Sugar and Brush Valleys, Nebraska Amish moved into Penns. Huge difference between the two sects. Then the 'old hippies' from State College 'discovered' it......for good or bad.
    But it's still a pretty nice place.
    Ever stop at Burkholders Grocery just west of Millheim? Check it out if not.
  11. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics rr. You mention your bike is a Canadian import and still in kms. Did you import it or someone else? The reason I ask is that in the MOA magazine a while ago there was a guy who wrote up the story of his quest to buy one of those ugly C model cruisers put out by BMW. He bought his in Toronto and stated he had to get a mph speedo from Germany before he could license it in the States. No problems here in Ont. going the other way. We only have to have a working speedo. They don't care what it measures. Just curious....Dave
  12. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy @B10Dave,

The bike was imported by someone else, way I understand it is that the Canadian rode the bike down to Pittsburgh, stuck around to sign the necessary paperwork, etc for the import police, then flew home. Far as I know it was no trouble- and the speedo is in kms, so.... ? I've never had the bike inspected, so who knows? But there is an old inspection sticker on it from the PO having it done, so it must have passed our state safety inspection without issue.
    B10Dave likes this.
  13. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IS that along 235 in Juniata county? Looks real familiar.
  14. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Yes, @NurseBill it's on 235, I never thought about what county but if you say Juanita, that feels about right. The cars have been sitting there for ages, so you would have seen them if you'd been up thru there.
    NurseBill likes this.
  15. squirrelrocket

squirrelrocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your rides and pics!
    I stopped and checked out that same Jeep last fall, had no idea those other vehicles were hiding near it.
    [​IMG]
  16. NurseBill

NurseBill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been by there many times before. My Dad had a camp about 300 yards from there along 235, I believe the township uses the lot now. The Jeep is on the opposite side of the road as the other cars. There's a dune buggy buried in there someplace, or there was.
  17. Runswithscizzors

Runswithscizzors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread! Always glad to see new posts. Thanks folks.
  18. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy guys and welcome to Spring (well HOPEfully) 2018. It's been rough here with sustained cold, wet, and some snow/frozen precipitation but the past few days have seen it warming up at least a little. I know good ol Pennsyltuckey ain't alone in this seems it's a World Gone Wrong all over the place this year, eh? I did have a couple days of riding back in February when we had a few uncharacteristically warm days...

Got the Big Rig out one day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

popped by this old church along the way....

[​IMG]

obligatory "art" shot...

[​IMG]

Then had the RS out for a couple days running, later in the week
    only really have a couple gratuitous motorcycle shots from those ride outs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More recently, a buddy rode over from Western Pennsyltuckey on his "modern" Hinckley Triumph and we rode in blazing sun & heat over to NJ to see some buddies and attend the Gathering Of The Nortons on the PA side of the Delaware River...
    A breakfast stop was in order for some banging Huevos Rancheros at Yankee Doodle Diner. Always a good time.

[​IMG]

Then we got to our buddy's place... he has a garage filled with cool bikes n shit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

including his (fabulous) recently restored Enfield Indian...

[​IMG]

among other things...

[​IMG]

and we visited a mutual buddy and drank a few while ogling his awesome Velo...

[​IMG]

went into Lambertville (NJ) for some beverages at The Inn Of The Hawke (very good, very cool place) and saw this cool Karmann Ghia parked nearby...

[​IMG]

the locals were friendly enough but they don't talk much.... :lol3

[​IMG]

Walked across the (Delaware) river (New Jersey left bank, Pennsyltuckey, right bank) into New Hope,

[​IMG]

not much going on there but there was this in a window...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next day was COLD and misty and windy... we visited at The Gathering and hit the road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a big turnout for this usually awesome annual event- seems these guys are mostly fair weather riders? ha ha BUT in fairness the weather, which just the day prior, had been HOT was now damp, windy, and admittedly miserable. We stuck around for a while and hit the road. Watching the radar, we chose to get on I-78 and flog it half way home, stop to eat and see what happened... we made our stop along US 61 in Port Clinton at the Port Clinton Hotel, which I highly recommend. After lunch we emerged from the bar to driving rain, swirling mist and generally wet & cold conditions. Nothing for it then, but to saddle up and hit it. We stuck to back roads to avoid the road spray & tractor trailers of the freeways, eventually arriving home chilled & damp but safe...

[​IMG]

EDIT: forgot to add that I had the Mighty K1200RS (aka The Big Rig) out for a hot lap on Sunday... clocked about 97 miles, couldn't seem to hit the 100 mile mark for some reason.. guess I coulda done a few laps around the block? :lol3

[​IMG]

I'm getting the Norton back on the road again, so look for some RRs featuring that marvelous beast, among other rides and stuff in general...
    Cheers everyone!
    Have a great riding season in 2018
    Be Safe Out There...

EDIT 2: sorry, there's a little redundancy here from earlier posts....

19. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a spot in Lambertville on the left if you're facing the bridge, right on the tracks, they had the BEST seafood bisque! AWESOME roads too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
  20. Juan Loboe

Juan Loboe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your thread. Wife is from Pennsyltucky, and the excellent pics take me back to the days when we lived close enough to visit more. I was in a hiatus from riding in those days, but I've often thought of how much fun those back roads would be. Your adventures are proof. Perhaps now that retirement is a few short weeks away, I'll get the chance to head back there and zoom around. It'd be a longish ride...