Pennsyltuckey Noodlin'

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ricochetrider, Oct 21, 2012.

1. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    A retirement gift to yourself!!!
    ricochetrider likes this.
  2. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy guys n gals!

SO... I've been really busy at work recently- so busy that I have barely had time to get out on my recently refurbished Norton! (much less any other motorcycle) BUT I have a little time off this week for multitude of reasons...
    therefore, I managed a few miles yesterday- and might get a few more in today! The bike, with a new top end and new 750 exhaust headers (same old sassy-ass Emgo megaphones tho) minus the annoying cross-over pipe, (among other work) is running REALLY WELL. More compression, and a lighter louder, bark-y sound to it... it is truly a force to be reckoned with, and a real head-turner as well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SO, leaving the house, and not really certain where exactly I was going, I ran upriver past the Enola Norfolk Southern train yard, across I-81 and into Marysville. Turning left on 850 and heading into the country, I made a last second choice to detour out and try to see some friends at the old Warm Springs Lodge, situated along Sherman's Creek in Lovely Perry County Pennsyltuckey.

http://www.warmspringslodge.com

Pulling up at the Lodge, I wasn't sure A IF anyone was there and B who exactly I thought I'd bump into. BUT my long time friends (and owners) Cable & Carol were there along with a cool older dude named Eddie. Eddie looked at my bike and said he has a 61 Harley he
    s rebuilt, and Cable mentioned he'd had an early 60s Triumph which was a pre-unit bike. I knew him to have had a 71 oe 72 Bonneville, but he said he'd sold that a few ears back now. After showing me around the Lodge, seems he had cut down a couple rather significant tress- one sycamore and a massive ash tree. He had em slabbed out and so there were these stacks and piles of HUGE "boards" and by huge I mean to say the sycamore was about 3.5-4 FEET wide by about 16 feet long, and the ah was equally wide but only about 8 or so feet long! He had a couple tables made up out of the ash and was doing some experimental oiling of the sycamore - which was quarter-swan. it was all stunningly beautiful and truly a source of wonderment for me- I used to have a career as a carpenter, cabinet maker, and woodworker- so wood, especially entire trees slabbed out, flinched and stacked in boules ... still gets my blood pumping!

Cable looked at my bike, eventually, and asked,"how's that thing on the dirt?" I said, "well I wouldn't ride single track on it but a graded dirt road wouldn't be a problem." He was like "wanna come up and see the house?"
    so it was news to me that they were now living over there.....
    Having only my phone along, I took limited pix (and no pix of the timber!) but the entire place, and everything including these 2 guys would be very photo-worthy and the while crew has plenty of personality... great folks! I am blessed in the ways of friendship! Living around here for most of my life and I just have the bestest buddies. Cable is quite the character his own self. He's been buying and selling old barn and timber frames ever since I've known him, which is many decades now- and collects antiques and neat old stuff... he & Carol moved out of their converted barn/home over in Cumberland County and built a sweet, smaller home out of a very old timber frame:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snapped a couple crappy phone pix but these accurately convey the general aesthetic. Cable offered a beer, and I'm not one to refuse such hospitality, especially considering I hadn't seen these guys in ages! So We hung out on the porch, enjoying the woods, the air, the chit-chat, the beer, and the company.... but eventually I was like, "OK kids, I'm gonna go ride a motor sickle." Handshakes & hugs all around and I kicked the Norton to life and bounced down the hill to continue my ride...

SO here are the
    last couple pix...

along the road, on higher ground away from the Creek- in Glorious Perry County

[​IMG]

and atop Waggoner's Gap, looking more or less east into Cumberland County

[​IMG]

Coming down off the mountain, I had visions of extending the ride. Heading towards Carlisle on PA 74 south, I had open views to the west. Sure enough, the rain storms "they" (and you KNOW who "they" are...) were calling for were building- from the looks of things, I decided I probably had just enough time to get my ass home and stay dry doing it. The wind was blowing and by now I knew I was cutting it close. I hauled ass back towards the Mighty Susquehanna with the weather coming in hot on my tail. Sure enough, as I took off my helmet, gloves, & jacket, thunder boomed nearby and in a few minutes it rained.

Got the bike under cover, with just enough
    time to let it cool a little.

[​IMG]

3. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4CA8E503-C96A-464A-BC1A-5884A7CF2C0E.jpeg RB winter park area
    Dirtbauer and NurseBill like this.
  4. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    So wow yeah... been working a lot actually, but also, having a few days off here & there. Some of this has been for family or reasons that aren't fun but are necessary, yet I've managed to squeeze in some bike rides and fun stuff as well!

Had last Friday off and went out for a ride...

[​IMG]

having a choice of bikes to ride is sometimes complicated, but then again, why not ride BOTH (or all as the case may be). Which is what I. did, went out during the day on the R100RS. Riding upriver, I stopped in Duncannon to get a pic of this mural.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then went on up to Newport for some much needed coffee and a snack. Newport is up along the Juniata, above where that river flows into the Susquehanna. The railroad tracks also run up along these waterways, and most every little town has an old train depot. Some are in use; Marysville's is now a canoe/kayak/outiffiters, Duncannon's houses the town's municipal offices, but Newport's old depot is decrepit and in a state of pretty serious decline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's an old gas station right there that is now some sort of auto repair place. Pretty sure the guy who owns that also owns the old depot as there are old signs n stuff inside the place. I was sort of trying to talk to the guy to see if I could talk him into letting me see the inside of the depot building but he was busy with a customer, so I figure I'll catch hime some other time. I was trying to imagine the day when trains would stop at all these little burgs, tho- wondering if it was for goods and services or strictly people transport. Seems if the shop owner isn't old enough to remember a time when trains were stopping there, he might have heard tales from his dad or grandad about it... It'd be fun to talk to him and ask some questions about all this...

Meanwhile, later that day. I made arrangements to ride down to Carlisle to see an old buddy fr om high school at a local watering hole. Of c course it was like old home week down there, with lots of folks I know from high school and having lived there for many many years.... It was a gas, and by the time I headed home it was full-on twilight.

I had taken the Norton out and stopped by the Boiling Springs lake for a second...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then rode on home with a sweet little crescent moon peering over my shoulder, as it set in the west.

A few days later, I wayback out on the R100RS. There was a solid chance of rain and I eventually did get a bit wet- but not terribly so. I stopped at one point to change jackets and wound up talking to some guys. upon finding out where I was headed, one of them suggested I stop to see a covered bridge over there, so I did just that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's the Pomeroy/Academia Bridge. No longer in use, but its the longest covered bridge in Pennsylvania and it is a beauty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday I was back out, this time the Norton. Going thru Mount Holly Springs, This little train crossed a set of tracks in town. Just two locomotives and pulling a couple tankers and a coal car. I was excited because I had never heard of the Gettysburg Railroad line, plus the lead locomotive was RED with yellow lettering! It crossed in front of me again, and I knew there was another crossing a few miles ahead, so I rode up that way, got off the bike set up a shot and waited for a few minutes until sure enough, along comes the train.

Edit: It's the Gettysburg Northern Railway line and it runs a 25 mile section of track from Mt Holly Springs to Gettysburg. Don't know how often they run- I've been living around here for most of my adult life and I'd never seen em before- but it sure was cool to. catch them this day. Love the red locomotive!

[​IMG]

Great pic, yes? I think so. Anyway, I was just more or less noodle' around this day, so here are a few more pix of places I ended up along my way...

Rode up a dirt fore road to see this sweet reservoir, the water sully for the town of Chambersburg... lovely little grove of pine tress up here:

[​IMG]

and the reservoir itself...

[​IMG]

Not the best pic; there were a good many folks up there fishing, putting in kayaks and taking them out, etc so there was limited space from me to set this pic up... Only ha my phone anyway, but some of these pix are OK, methinks.

Popped by the Round Barn near Arendtsville because across the street is a new brewery I wanted to check out. Looks like they are up & running, tho not open this day... The barn is very cool tho and is open to the public, selling candy and goo-gaws.

[​IMG]

So now I had a bit of a thirst going, having got myself worked up over the new brewery... SO I rode on down to Gettysburg and had some chicken wings and an ale at the awesome Garryowen Irish Pub. Tho it was mellow this day, there are times when the place gets pretty well slammed. The people watching is great- a winning combination of Adams County farmers and apple growers, college students, tourists, and general sorts of folks rubbing elbows at the bar, and eating & drinking.
    :thumb

I recommend it if you're ever in Gettysburg but remember this is a tourist town. The town gets pretty crowded (in summer especially) and the pub gets really busy at times, so if you think you want a table better plan ahead. The food is decent tho and they have a heckuva selection of Irish Whisky. Absolutely worth a stop if you're in the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now, guys!
    Talk to ya later, thanks for popping by.
    Cheers.
    Brucester, wmfleet2, tjzondrz and 2 others like this.
  5. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pic with bike and train is superb. Thanks for sharing.
  6. ddavidv

ddavidv So money, but doesn't know it.

Oddometer:
    Concur, great pic. I'm a train buff also and dig the old depots. I was on a 3 day ride this week and was at Renovo. Stopped at the train yard. One track runs through it.
    (Facebook links, so they won't last)
    [​IMG]
    How it used to look:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Love your Norton. You shouldn't be hard to spot if we cross paths. :wave
    bkendig76, tjzondrz and ricochetrider like this.
  7. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy guys. Had a few rise out lately between gigs, so wanted to bring the thread up to date, catch up a little.

A few weeks ago now, I had a day off, knew it was going to rain at some point during the day, but it was hot out, so what the heck, a little water never hurt... Took the Big Rig K 1200 out because I'd kinda been ignoring it. Didn't get too many pix but here are a few...

I was hungry and ended up going. past the Red Rabbit up in Clarks Ferry. Well what was I thinking, they're open Fri Sat Sun and this was Thurs! Kind of a stab in the dark, I was ambivalent about which direction I was going anyway- riding around the home area so much, it's easy to get caught up in the same old groove, so I was trying not to do that, wanting to go somewhere I hadn't been. Rode right out 322W past the red rabbit, crossed under US11/15, and exited at Amity Hall. At this point I knew I was going to get "lost". I say that, but the reality is that sooner or later, I am going to come. put at someplace I know already- This is something Ive been doing this summer, following my front wheel blindly around the small back roads of South Central Pennsyltuckey. I know so many roads in a rather large radius from home so it never fails that eventually, I arrive at a point that I know the road... so "lost" is maybe cheating it a little but hey it's FUN. This day I rode some great roads- just the names are fun- like Chicken Hollow Road, (I'm guessing Juniata County, easter/southern end?) to name one of the more memorable examples... Sometimes this involves turning around or backtracking, if something doesn't work out- this day I dead ended at US 11/15, and knew I didn't feel like all that so I u turned and back tracked a little, no biggie.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, I was not only still hungry but getting hungrier. When the sky opened up, I popped into this little country store.

[​IMG]

Now this place is cool, no idea where it was exactly, but they had everything under the sun- groceries, hardware of all sorts, farm gear, hardware, & equipment, and yes, a lunch counter in the back! Got a sandwich and a bag of potato chips, a bottle iced tea, and sat outside under cover, saying hello to the local folks who were coming & going. That included an Amish Home Repair guy in his "pick-up":

[​IMG]

I rode a couple hundred miles, spent all day just doin' some good ol Pennsyltuckey Noodlin.

[​IMG]

Since the Norton is running (again) I have been doing some riding on it, too. A few of my local buddies have Brit Bikes, too- so of course we like to get together and mess around the back roads n stuff... This day I arranged to meet one such friend at a diner, BAker's Diner, in Dillsburg PA for breakfast and we'd follow with a nice ride around "down south".

Didn't want to just hop on US 15 and burn it, so I ended up getting lost again, trying to stay on surface roads along the way to Dillsburg... opps, my bad, I was 1/2 hour late!

[​IMG]

but had fun making my way. Around here, especially closer to civilization (IE Harrisburg) you're never too far away from anything, so as long as you know north south east & west, you can pretty well guesstimate your way around to get from place to place.

We had a banging breakfast at Baker's

[​IMG]

then hit them lanes... ending up stopping first at the Round Barn down near Arendtsville PA- not too far from Gettysburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the Round Barn has all manner of stuff- from local produce and Amish made canned goods, to local & Amish meat & dairy products, crafty made goods & goo gaws... not to mention the "Biker's" "Wild Critter" cookbook!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't forget that collapsible SHOVEL & IRON SKILLET on that next ride, kids! :lol3

THEN:

[​IMG]

NOW:

[​IMG]

After leaving the Barn, we crossed US route 30 The Lincoln Highway and delved deep into southern Adams County's apple and orchard country, losing ourselves in the tiniest lanes we could find, following our front tires and the ridges. Ended up dong a bit of "adventure" riding, too, along the way!

[​IMG]

Gratuitous Bike Pic:

[​IMG]

My buddy Dave has several bikes and they are all pristine rest jobs. His little Daytona is no exception, good thing he's not to squeamish about bouncing around a little on the occasional dirt road of dirt farm lane....
    Now y'all provably know that Biking is thirsty work and we "Bikers" might need a beer sometimes as we noodle around... not to mention that my poor buddy was starving about half to death by now so of course this means a lunch stop...
    Nothing for it then but to bee-line it straight down to Chambersburg for a stop at Roy Pitz brewery. Now, only "just" having eaten a massive breakfast, I was none too hungry myself, but the beer is tasty. And the server cute, so win-win.

[​IMG]

I did manage to force down some fish tacos, too- so not a total loss... I mean, you know- when in Rome n stuff.

[​IMG]

Flippin blazing hot out this day, so it was...

[​IMG]

From here, we headed west/north, and out into the Great Cumberland Valley we did go. The idea of course being to noodle around, heading in the general direction and ride some previously unknown roads... Which of course woks out s sometimes, and other times less so. BUT we had fun "in spite of it all" *wink wink* and eventually crossed the entire valley, ending up at the Yellow Breeches headwaters at Huntsdale, sitting in the shade for a minute, watching the trains roll past...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point we went our separate ways, heading home, each in our own direction. Now the Norton had a recent top-end rebuild and I was shooting for roughly the 400 mile mark to do the first oil change... well I over shot that rather dramatically- I actually rode over 200 miles this day! SO no more riding the Norton until I get a minute to figure out how to change oil and stuff, I'm going to be trying to do some of my own maintenance on this bike for a change! Stay tuned and I'll eventually have some of that to share. Stay tuned anyway tho because I have some more day-rides as well, to catch y'all up on...

So until next time, have fun, ride often, & be safe out there!
  8. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    On July 11, I finally got around to getting some stuff done to my RS: I had bought a new Beacon 2 LED tail light, and a Katdash LED instrument lighting module. Down to Mt Joy PA to see my Airhead guru buddy, to do the install then of course I took the scenic route home... Going thru Manheim PA, I stopped to get a couple pix of this old covered bridge on Sun Hill Road off of 772, just outside of town. It's the Kauffman's Distillery Bridge.

[​IMG]

They've done some work on the bridge, apparently- adding new structural framing members, I see...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past Thursday, July19, I was out again on the R100RS. Continuing this summer's trend, made some effort to find some roads I haven't ridden ever or not much. Didn't take too many pix of the bike along the way but saw some interesting stuff...

like this 1951 MG (TD?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was sharing garage space with a stately old Bentley...

[​IMG]

Just down the road is the Enola Norfolk Southern railroad yard, lots of locomotives sitting there this day and lately as well... Summer, maintenance season maybe? Dunno but I love trains, sorta fixated on them lately...

at the rail yard

[​IMG]

waiting to cross the Rockville Bridge

[​IMG]

further up the "west shore" (of the Susquehanna) line, near Duncannon- another train with 4 locomotives

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went on up thru Duncannon, crossed the river at Clark's Very and rode up towards Halifax. Saw a few riders heading up to the RA Rally in Wellsboro- I had wanted to attend but having too many days off this summer, I opted to stay home and work the weekend instead... Not really going anywhere special this year, but hope to maybe get over to WV or somewhere during one of these 3 day off stints?... Anyway, I pulled up beside one rider on a mid 90s K100RT at a construction zone and had a nice conversation with the guy...

Here's the bike, I added some blue/white checkered reflective tape to the saddlebags, saw this somewhere & liked it. Sort of gives the bike a retro-Euro-cop look that somehow appeals to me & increases visibility?

[​IMG]

This is outside of Lykens, PA at the village's water supply reservoir

[​IMG]

further along the ride, I saw this... I like the sign with its patina & rust. A bit of a nostalgia vibe with the old Pepsi logos... kinda fits the overall theme of this days ride, yeah?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's one of the World's Coolest Planters... I personally would rather be driving this old truck, IF it were mine... but hey, each to their own!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that brings us pretty much up to date on my local rides this summer, so far.
    Catch ya'll next time!
    Thanks for looking.
    1stgenfarmboy, B10Dave and tjzondrz like this.
  9. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Here's a gratuitous image of the Norton at the Rockville Bridge, taken some time back...

WATERMARK COMMANDO-1.jpg
  10. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures and area to ride in.
  11. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Murdock, I see you live not too far from me, PA is motorcycle heaven.
  12. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Howdy guys N gals... been a long summer and I've been working my face off. Had a little time lately to get out on a bike, including a ride today up to Centralia PA, trying to find the infamous Graffiti Highway... well I found it, couldn't get the bike on but there's this shot from nearby... will post a real update soon, I promise!

P8233769.jpg
  13. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Right, so where was I .... oh yeah, working my ass off, that's where! :lol3 I have had snippets of free time here and there and a week off this week, so Let's catch up on my exploits here...

Had my RS down to my airhead guru buddy's place a while back to install my new LED tail light, so took the scenic route home. Popped by the Kauffman Distillery Bridge, an old covered bridge outside Manheim PA...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too special in terms of it's not anything we haven't seen before- BUT all these old bridges are cool IMO and this one has had a bit of recent work, it seems...

[​IMG]

Later in July I was w working at MusikFest which. is located all over Bethlehem PA, and the Main Stage is at the old steel plant. Had a little time to kill up there one day so snapped a few pix...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bethlehem Steel is REALLY cool.
    Just imagine all the years of hard work, all the blood, sweat & tears, the generations of guys who worked there.

Meanwhile back at the motorcycle ranch...

Had the Mighty K1200 out one hot day... started out hungry so I rode down to Carlisle to grab a couple Hot-Chee Dogs at the good old Hamilton Family Restaurant- a Carlisle institution

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wasn't;t really sure where I was going, so I just sort of mindlessly followed my front wheel around without putting a whole lot of thought into it all... saw that old truck out along Creek Road near the Conodoguinet Creek on the way to Newville... then rode along the Big Spring out there for a while before heading down to Shippensburg...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

man it was hot as blazes this day, I sure wanted to leaping the spring fedd creek there. Just lookin at the water cooled off some tho...

Rode thru Ship and up over Big Flat, turned back towards "town" on 233 southbound, stopping at the Adams/Cumberland county line for a visit with another cold water stream, Tumbling Run...
    with al the rain we've had, the forest is SO lush! Everything is just poppin'! Green as can be right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode out of the mountains into Adams County and was surprised to see this old NYFD firetruck sitting alongside the road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Musta been there a while, logo still has the old Twin Towers on it!

[​IMG]

By now the sky was darkening up pretty good, with a good storm cell moving in hot front eh north. I gauged it and decided to head back in the direction I'd come, trying to skirt it- tho as hot as it was, I figured a little rain wouldn't hurt me- God knows I sure won't melt! I eventually did get a little wet but managed to miss the bulk of the rain, just hitting the edges as I scrambled a round trying to avoid getting hammered by the cell.

Headed back into Biglerville and turned towards Mt Holly on 34 northbound, but was surprised to find a detour a ways out of town, road closure, bridge work I guess? Nothing for it then but to cut out towards Bendersville. eventually I needed up at Pine Grove Furnace State Park

[​IMG]

and came back around Mt Holly the back way out in the open valley.
    By now I was thirsty and hungry again so I headed over to Boiling Springs and stopped in to the old Boiling Springs tavern whee I have a good friend bartending... Passed this cool mural on a silo on PA rte 174, just off 34

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Late afternoon sun was lovely on the lake at Boiling Springs...

[​IMG]

Held court at the bar for awhile and took my time riding home... GF was out having her hair done so no rush, no pressure... It was lovely day out for sure...

Stay tuned for more folks, daylight's a burnin, must ride.
    tjzondrz, B10Dave, Brucester and 3 others like this.
  14. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like that picture of the lake!
  15. Runswithscizzors

Runswithscizzors Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread....keep it up!
  16. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

NurseBill and 1stgenfarmboy like this.
  17. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
  18. tjzondrz

tjzondrz Non-Nefarious

Oddometer:
  19. Brucester

Brucester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled across this thread and have really enjoyed seeing all the photos from PA. I live in York and work at Gettysburg College, so it is great to see you enjoying our area. I commute most days to work from York via 234; it is not a bad commute. I will definitely be watching for future updates. Thanks for sharing, Ben!
    ricochetrider, B10Dave and NurseBill like this.
  20. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Thanks, not bad for a phone pic, eh? The Golden Hour, the evening light was just right.

Thanks! I like the Garryowen Irish Pub down in Gettysburg, not sure if you're ever in there but it's a pretty good USA version of a UK pub. GREAT people watching at times too.