PennyTech - Has anyone made their own panniers?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ag_streak, Jun 6, 2007.

1. DirtKnob

DirtKnob Dirt Knob

Oddometer:
    :clap Thanks to the guy that posted this site:
    rtw.xtz660 - Home made aluminium boxes

I made my own 50ltr boxes, I bought a Moto-Sport pannier rack and mounting kit. I'm into them with all the hardware around $600.00
    I Bucked solid rivets where he used Pull rivets, used fixed aluminum handles instead and got the Ball corners from samedaymusic.com The rest of the hardware I got at local Hardware stores.
    They're tough and water tight.
    Being an aviation technician has its advantages.:ricky

Attached Files:

2. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a pair of dry bag backpacks from Costco for $35 each. I was planning on making soft saddle bags out of some ruck sacks from the surplus store, but these were the same price and will be waterproof. They seem just as sturdy.

I dont' have a picture yet, and I haven't even done anything but buy them.

But, at $35 for a dry bag that comes with a bunch of straps, and holds 25L, it seemed like a good deal to me.
  3. kudos

kudos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I have been doing my Sherlock Holmes thing and found the best priced Mermites in America !!! :clap:clap:clap:clap

Anyone interested in Mermites at $25 each (without inserts) and $25 shipping? :eek1:eek1

I have just ordered mine....I'll let you know how good they are when I get them...but I am assured they are in good condition with the usual paint scuffs.

He has four left.........any takers?? (PM Me)
  4. Pierd

Pierd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just noticed they make that Rubbermaid Action Packer to match the KLR color scheme....or is it the other way around ? :lol3
    Nice setup !
  5. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
  6. RamblinKevin

RamblinKevin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are my favorite "Jerry" rigged panniers of all time. You could make a $million by mass producing them. How water tight are they? How strong are the tie down points? Have you done the unscheduled dropped bike test on em yet? :D

Might want to check your link for the close ups, wasn't workin for me on this thread.

Put me down for the first set off the assembly line! I'm sure I will have destroyed my Kawi bags by then. :lol3

7. lockyv7

lockyv7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunshine Coast Australia. There is no winter here.
    my latest bit of kit i made for a guys 1200GS. Locky.

[​IMG]
  8. brian72

brian72 URBEX

Oddometer:
    Kevin, they are alright with water. I used black door trim from an auto store on the bottom lip. I placed the trim after I hinged the two pieces. If I had to do it over again I would have put trim on both pieces, then placed the hinge. That being said and hind sight being 20/20 and all, I'm still satisfied with how they came out.

Also I haven't dropped the bike on them yet, but one can is from 1945 and the other is from 1951. They are thick, thick metal. They do not make them like they used to that's for sure. I feel they'd do ok in a light spill. Besides if you dent one you could always just hammer it out from the inside.
  9. gfunk1127

gfunk1127 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I had a friend help me make a homemade rack for my motorcycle. Rock solid! We mounted the things and I was able to pack and take them with me on my yearly Deals Gap ride all over the mountain trip. Fully loaded I still wound up getting 50 mpg!!! The bags even stood up against an unfortunate 20 mph laydown. The bags took all the bruising for the bike and I took all the bruising for me. They are still in great shape. Now I am painting the things. I have decided against rhino-lining them due to some internal artistic differences.

[​IMG]

on the maiden voyage (after the maiden crash test!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

painted!
    [​IMG]

The idea for the side design
    [​IMG]
  10. gfunk1127

gfunk1127 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    almost done.
    I have ordered a yamaha decal that will go below the main design. I am putting some yellow reflective striping for visibility on the back. [​IMG]

Next up I paint the homemade rack and voila! I'm all done.
  11. gfunk1127

gfunk1127 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and mounted.
    [​IMG]
  12. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so, has anyone gone down the kevlar route or know anyone that has?
  13. Ateesman

Ateesman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone try to make some out of HDPE ?

(high density polyethylene)

Seems like pretty strong stuff, easy as wood to work with and no painting required (or at least as long as you like the colors it is available in).

Paul
  14. Testcase

Testcase Not to be trusted

Oddometer:
    Layer it on with epoxy the way ag_streak did with fiberglass. I was considering trying this out to as it seems the kevlar would be even stronger then just fiberglass, but I haven't really researched the difference, just know that kevlar would be more expensive.

I'm in the early stages at tackling building some boxes for my Ulysses. I've got one prototype built from some scrap 1/4" ply I had in the shop. Need to do some more modification to the shape for fit and I'd like it to be bigger. This first proto will be my practice box when I starting the epoxying.
  15. Hondo

Hondo **********

Oddometer:
  16. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the prototype?
  17. Testcase

Oddometer:
    Sure. As I said, this was just to get a tangible something in 3-D that I could hold and test out mounting, fiberglassing, and space. It's got, as you can see, no top and just a cursory bottom at this point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its next to the stock bag from the Ulysses in those last two. I'm leaning towards making two sets: daytripper-sized cases (same as prototype) and then a larger cases for the 'dream trip'. Haha.

First thing I discovered with the prototype is I need to bevel the sides as there are some pointy bits on the Ulysses that are just where they need to be to keep the box from being flush.

I'm going to make up new forms out of cardboard for sizing purposes. This box will be my mount and fiberglass sandbox.
  18. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great! :freaky

Is the back the same 1/4" thickness as the other sides? You may want to consider doubling it or using 1/2" plywood for the final version...
  19. Testcase

Oddometer:
    On this box, it is. On the finals, it will be 1/2". I'm taking your 'lessons learned' to heart :)
  20. atermon

atermon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what about a kevlar outer layer with a cf inner. there are hybrid kevlar-cf fabrics as well.
    cost aside, would that fly?