1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

People doing stuff on your bike

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I remember that letter too! Still kind of pisses me off. :-)
  2. revrandy

revrandy The Riding Rev.

Oddometer:
    I officiated at an offsite wedding last month and rode my bike there. Of course the wedding party saw the bike sitting out front. After the service the wedding party asked if they could take pictures of themselves on/around the bike. I agreed.

So part of the wedding photos are ones with the bride on the bike, ring bearer on the bike etc. They even sent me pic's.
  3. Antiquar

Antiquar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't understand the desire to be photographed on a bike that I'm not actually riding. It comes off, to me, with the opposite effect than desired. "Hey, check out me not actually engaging in this fun and risky activity!"

People are weird.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobody seems to mess with my DR for long. The previous owner was a cop that was paranoid enough to install a LOUD mfn alarm. It can split eardrums and make an old nun cry at 20 paces.

I'm enough of an idiot that I occasionally set it off in the garage. Ho Lee Shitzu.

I use a Xena lock when in the city too. :lol3

Lock your helmet in a PacSafe bag or a hard case.
  5. i_isntreal

i_isntreal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. That is exactly how I explain it to people that have first opened and closed the visor three times with their whole greasy palm before beginning to put it on. Drives me nuts, so I keep it in it's bag whenever possible.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    They usually get their tops slashed with a knife...Happened to two people I know of with convertibles. One was a brand new top. :kboom
  7. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    As a native of Milwaukee, I remember Holy Hill very well. That's a hell of a climb. Next time yell out the window down to the parking lot "Esto es Jesucristo. Bájate de la moto de ese ahora o te vas al infierno." Works every time.
    Traxx likes this.
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup. People used to do crap like that to my Jeep, or they'd always be trying to steal stuff. One guy left a nice pair of bolt-cutters and a bit of blood when he tried to break into my steel center console. One bitch took the factory cig lighter while smoking in it and flicking her ashes all over. People have spit in the seats and dumped trash all over the interior too.

Some people just need a good ass-whuppin'.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    LOL :clap
  10. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    I hear you.... I have learned not to let my VSTROM out of sight at any time or lock it in my garage. People today feel so entitled to do whatever they want. Of course NO ONE wants their picture taken with it:D. That suits me just fine. It is just like that ugly but wonderful girl you knew in high school who had everything going for her but looks:D."What is THAT thing" one guy said at Springfield last year!
    Traxx likes this.
  11. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I go ahead and park my convertible with the top down, and there is never anything worth stealing inside it.

I haven't had problems with anything being tossed inside it, nor have I had issues with people fooling around with my motorcyces when I leave them parked. I'm guessing it's because I live in a more civilized part of the country. :evil
    Traxx likes this.
  12. GDI

GDI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :d
  13. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]:lol3
  14. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Dear Anne, having seen the error of my ways and now in full agreement with you regarding having an "attractive nuisance" I have now fully gotten over having people climbing on and all over my motorcycle aka the "attractive nuisance" in this case. BTW, met your niece she was attractive but a bit of a nuisance, what with dispensing shitty advice and all, but I wanted to really feel you on your advice so I showed her the letter and your response and because she also shared your opinion ...well I just jumped on and pretended to ride the shit out of her. Don't worry she never fell off he kick stand but may have a few stains on the dash but they'll buff right out. Gotta say best advice I've ever gotten. Lookng forward to meeting you! :lol3

My bikes are not other people toys, they're my toys.
    Traxx likes this.
  15. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Permission vs no permission would get opposite responses from me. I always love the pictures of little kids from third world villages on adv bikes. Little moments like that probably do wonders for future riders coming through town.
    T-34 likes this.
  16. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    Friend of mine had his bike knocked over by a person wanting a picture. When the police got there they told him his bike was a natural attraction and they did not do a police report. Something like sparkly things attract attention so no crime was commited. Not sure what they would have said if it were stolen.:eek1
  17. go4mini

go4mini Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a '66 Vette convertible. I came out of a bar/restaraunt one evening to find a drunk girl sitting in it, pretending to drive, and making motor noises. I hollared, and she started crying and said I was mean! Too bad my wife was with me.
    Traxx likes this.
  18. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Police cars are a natural attraction. I wonder if the cops would take the same view of someone damaging their car while playing with it.
    Traxx likes this.
  19. SloMo228

SloMo228 World Class Cheapass

Oddometer:
    Well, just 'cause you're a cop doesn't mean you have to have any sense, I guess. I'd have been pretty irate with those officers.
  20. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I used to play bass in a busy bar band. There were many times I'd emerge from some dank small-town dive only to find people leaning and sitting all over other people's cars, including mine.

Some people just ain't got no manners at all.

I didn't get the chance to ride to a gig all that often, but I did find that "fear of hairy devil bikers" generally helped keep people off my Suzuki. Our pirate brethren do serve a purpose.

Also, you could usually park a bike near the door where the bouncer would keep an eye on things.
    trumpet likes this.