People doing stuff on your bike

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Jul 16, 2013.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    One cannot have common courtesy without first having common sense.
    MotoChaos likes this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the mid 70s I was riding my Ducati GT750 mid-week in the twisties of the Santa Monica Mtns. Back then Latigo Canyon only had a couple of houses so it was no traffic. I get about 1/2 way down and I’m moving at a pretty good clip when I hear something that sounds a lot like tires squealing. I look back and there was a guy in a little Lotus Europa up close but not dangerously close. So I stepped up my pace and started pushing harder and he pretty much kept up all the way down to Pacific Coast Highway. I pulled over at the bottom as I was getting arm pump. The guy in the Lotus also pulled over and he had a big smile on his face. The first thing he says is: “Gee I’ve never had a motorcycle be able to keep up with me before!” Then he says: “Hey nice bike, can I ride it?” So the smart ass in me says: “Sure, I’ll jump in your Europa you get on my bike and we’ll go back up the canyon!!” He got a big grin on his face and says: “Sure!!!!”. So we did!! Never regretted it for a second.
    Colorad0, trumpet, theDoktor and 4 others like this.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Waaaaaay more faith in people than I got.:eek7

:hide

:lol3
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    That he had in me!!!!:lol3
  5. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Years ago I was in Texas at a 7-11 and some clown was sitting on my HD, swung and caught him right in the face. He hit the ground and started running, wonder if he ever sat on another motorcycle again ?
    Parents are the worst offenders they just plop the kids on the bike like it's a toy, I don't get it. I have never done that with anyone's things.
    T-34, spokester and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  6. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Quick zip into Lowe's a couple towns over as I was out riding and needed to grab some hardware. Helmet between the bars and the windscreen, jacket over the mirrors. Not locked. Came out after 15 min and both were gone. Rode home with no jacket or helmet, feeling stupid. Wife says, call the store and see if they have camera footage. I call the next day. The manager asks what the helmet and jacket look like. I give a description. He says, we have your gear here. Some old fella brought it inside saying that the guy on the bike forgot it. Went in that day and picked it up. Glad it worked out that way! I still don't lock my gear to the bike unless I'm going to be gone a while or on a sketchy area.
    T-34, jasiu and davidji like this.
  7. Tall Man

Tall Man Speak as you find.

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the old fella meant well, but that's an odd way to perform a good deed.
  8. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I'm thinking there may have been some senility involved.
  9. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had people at restaurants bring my jacket and helmet to me when I'm paying my bill , thinking I forgot it.
    PineLaneRider likes this.
  10. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few years ago, a coworker and I were the last two people in the office. Big ole' parking lot, and just my bike, and the other guys car in it.

He left first, and came back a minute later, saying "Um... I backed into your bike." I ran outside. "How the FFF could you hit my bike? It's the only other F'ing thing here!" He had tapped the back of my Bonneville, kinking the rear fender, but not knocking it over. I always cover my bike, and my black cover had faded to a light grey color. He said "Well, your cover is the same color as the parking lot. I didn't see it."

He gladly paid for a new fender. And, ever since, I have put neon yellow covers on my bike, and replace them before they fade!