Perfect Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Royal Panda, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Carl Childers

Carl Childers Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer:
    Minor point but they look nice with the bags off too, kind of like an old Shovelhead FL, the RK looks ungainly with the bags off. Built on the Dyna chassis their handling left something to be desired if you liked pushing them in the corners, there are some after market fixes for that.
  2. chipper44

chipper44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's why we have several bikes instead of 1 bike. Depending on the plan for the day you pick the bike. Cause I agree there is no one do it all bike.

I'm looking for a 120hp and 100lbs torque only 300lb with 10 plus inches of plush suspension. With great wind protection on road but no cheap plastic to break off road. Lastly needs to cruise all day at 90MPH on the interstates, get 50mpg and a range of 300 plus miles. Yet be able to ride in the mud in first gear all day. With little to no maintenance and 100% reliable. I know just dreaming.
    Blackshirt, Johann and djauofd like this.
  3. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Moto guzzi California 1400.
    Manifold, Chillis and CbDude like this.
  4. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've sat on a couple of those. Never ridden one, but if the saddlebags were full size I'd have bought it.
    Haven't Ben There likes this.
  5. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    I´m not as fussy as you, I just want 90hp, 400lb, mid to late 1980s UJM styling, ideally exactly like a 750 Katana with a pop up headlight, but a K1100RS would be a close second, hydraulic valves and EFI, two driving modes, waiting for payday where I get at least 70mpg and who cares for maximum power. Shaft drive, centrestand, ABS, headlights good enough to be seen from the International Space Station. Single sided swingarm to make wheel changes easy, a horn loud enough to make small children in the next town over cry, comfy saddle to feel pampered for eight hours plus, pillion accommodation irrelevant but rear seat need to be big enough to act as a fallback rack for strapping stuff to, detachable panniers, fork gaiters and stainless brake lines front and back as standard, and a rear shock like a Kawasaki ER6 that be swapped out in ten minutes with no linkages to maintain. Minimum 25 litre tank. I don´t think that´s unreasonable.
    Milosh and CbDude like this.
  6. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I didn't know any better,
    I'd think most of you guys
    are talking about cars! :lol2
    Ginger Beard and ben sIII like this.
  7. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Johann likes this.
  8. VeryBumpy

VeryBumpy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are Harley's really smooth? They sure don't look like it at idle, at all.

An electric motorcycle would do well with the majority of your stipulations. Ah..but you actually want to get somewhere. Yeah, that's a problem.

Like you said, most peoples perfect bike does not and can not exist..... well it could.... if you are SUPER wealthy and have someone make it.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you eventually decide on.
  9. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    my problem is what I like is not what I fit on. I just sold my Africa Twin because I could not get comfortable riding it. It is a fantastic bike but after 2 years I had to admit it was not for me. As for my other 2 bikes it is quite the opposite. I am very comfortable and actually fit on my CB500x, I have had it for 5 years and enjoy riding it. My other bike is a CRF250L that I put a 3.5g gas tank on and lowered with the kouba link. It is perfect for the kind of trail riding I like to do. So I guess I'm a 2 bike person. Until another one gets caught in my radar and I can't shake it out...kinda like the Guzzi V85 Travel.
    TCBronson and tooter like this.
  10. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lowering a bike can really go a long way to making it more comfortable to ride. I've lowered just about every bike I've owned.
    LexLeroy and motorat like this.
  11. CbDude

CbDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honda Cb1100. I will never sell it.

As for a perfect 2 up bike that I have rode.. I like the ultra. It is deceptively smooth, has minimal buffeting and has been a good machine. I haven't gotten to ride an r1200rt or the 18+ goldwing yet though.
    TCBronson likes this.
  12. billyal33

billyal33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every bike I ever bought felt like the perfect bike for me for the first six months then not do much so I got another perfect bike!
  13. djauofd

djauofd Aged Wine

Oddometer:
    It’s a disease.
    motorat and LexLeroy like this.
  14. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From years ago......my CB750 Nighthawk.
  15. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's no such thing as the perfect bike, only the best bike for the mission. That's why I have more than one.
  16. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one bike because I use a bike for just one mission, daily transportation.
    So small lightweight underpowered bikes are perfect for me
    because I'm also small lightweight and underpowered. :lol3
    Pabst, Argyle, Milosh and 2 others like this.
  17. Phineas1952

Phineas1952 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm the opposite of billyal33. A new bike doesn't do much for me. It's just new. The longer I have a bike and the more miles I ride it the better I like it and the more perfect it seems. I'm at the point that I can't imagine life without the two bikes I have and probably won't add a third since I'm a little cramped for space.

That said, though it's been a long, long time since I owned one, I wouldn't consider any bike but Harley if I planned to really travel a lot. At least as compared to Honda, Triumph and Yamaha, they have real dealer support and lots of independent shops and I've noticed that most of the bikes I see when I do get way out in the wild are HD.
    billyal33 likes this.
  18. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're bang on and I added a couple of points. Plus...

Make it an air cooled V-twin, shaft drive, absolutely no electronics of any kind, kickstart only - with decompression, accurate gas guage, wide range of moderately priced, quality accessories, price it at less than $10,000 OTD and paint it black.....then call me! :lol3
  19. Vrode

Vrode Still half-fast... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not looking for perfection. It doesn't exist in one motorcycle.
    I'm looking to fall in love. And then establish a long, meaningful relationship.
    Till I get bored and look to fall in love all over again.
    Gapscratch and rixcafe like this.
  20. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    When it comes to design and maintenance bike owners get shafted compared to car drivers. Give me the option of buying a bike like a Nighthawk with hydraulic valves and near maintenance free reliable shaft drive and I´m in. Less wrenching, more riding.