Perfect Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Royal Panda, Jun 5, 2021.

1. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been searching for my perfect touring bike.

I don't mind idiosyncrasies in machinery if I'm riding locally but for touring I wanted comfort and reliability.
    Every machine that appealed to me I discovered had foibles of one sort or another.

I went a new direction, and surprised myself, with a Goldwing. It has a warranty (and it's a Honda) so I don't plan on fixing it.
    If I need the warranty too often, or needing the warranty becomes inconvenient, the bike will be going away.
  2. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:

You purchased twelve bikes in the last few years? All bought brand new?

Sorry to bear the bad news, but it’s unlikely you’ll ever be happy with any bike. Especially if you consider how much money you’ve flushed down the drain.

Thirteen is an unlucky number, but maybe it will break the curse for you? Maybe give the new HD Pan America a try?
  3. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    For me I do have a V-strom 650. Really like it.

BUT brakes and suspension are junk. Put $$$$ brakes and suspension and we are in business.

Now it would be a BMW F900XR or a KTM 1090 ADV S from urop.
  4. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a 2014+ Vstrom-1000. Well maybe not $$$$ brakes & suspension, but a nice upgrade from the Wee.
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Now if they would make a V-strom 750 with 1050 level brakes and suspension. We have a winner!
  6. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    For you, maybe Harley Pan Am, with electronically lowering suspension.

For me, my R1200R is close. I wonder if an R1250R would be it. Maybe a Superduke GT? I'm more in need of time to ride & places to go. I could be plenty happy traveling on either of my current bikes. The aforementioned R1200R, & an Africa Twin DCT.

What I think would most help you be satisfied is adjusting your wants & expectations (especially regarding wind management). Buying an endless stream of motorcycles you think you want hasn't done it. Still, maybe try the Pan Am if you haven't.
  7. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    FWIW I had similar thoughts about my 2nd gen Versys 650. I had a great time on that bike which was way more than the sum of it's modest parts. With better brakes & suspension, & maybe a little more power, & maybe a 270-degree p-twin instead of 180-degree, it might have been perfect. Also bigger tank/more range. Brakes, suspension, fuel capacity & fuel economy were all upgraded on the 3rd gen, but it's still single sided calipers, and I'm not sure how much better that stuff was. Like with the Strom, the 1k got better bits.
  8. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    "If you need stuff to make you happy, you'll never be that......................" or some such Zen saying. I mean, you're riding a MOTORCYCLE, what else could you possible need? The most memorable outings have been the ones that didn't go quite according to plan. No good story ever starts with "nothing went wrong.........."
    Some won't agree-heck, even I don't, but when I reflect back, it seems to be exactly correct. I'll have another Bourbon and continue to ponder.
    TuonoBiker and Haven't Ben There like this.
  9. Haven't Ben There

Haven't Ben There restless soul

Oddometer:
    A motorcycle or anything for that matter can be a blessing to one person and a curse to another. It is all a matter of perspective and everyone's needs and perspectives are different.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perfect depends on what day it is and where we plan to ride. There is no one perfect bike to suit our riding. It'd be nice if there was, but it ain't possible.
  11. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned dozens of bikes. From 250 singles to an 1150 GS to an Aprilia 1000, Ducatis, Kawasaki 650, Suzuki 650. I've forgotten half of them.

I've honed it down to either parallel twins or V twins. 650 to 900 is the sweet spot. Dry weight less than 450lb. Not top heavy. Reliable. Not tricked out with techno nonsense. Good tank range. Comfortable ergos. Good suspension. Chain is fine with an oiler, shaft good but bumps the weight up.

Unfortunately motorcycle design has gone down a rabbit hole with the manufacturers pitching bigger, heavier, more complex, more powerful bikes at the consumer and for many riders they are way over the top.
    davidji, tooter and dtysdalx2 like this.
  12. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree.

Bikes have become two wheel cars.
  13. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1050 is a really nice bike. What don't you like about it?
  14. Motobillb

Motobillb NorCal Fastfar Riders (meetup.com)

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your comments. I too have a 790AR. I’m smaller (5’8” and 220 +/-). Just yesterday I was wondering what it would be like as SM machine! Sounds awesome!! I love the 790 as a dual-sport/ADV ride but not too sure about crunching miles on it. I have done 500mi+ days but not because I wanted to. I have been thing about the 1290SA as a road/touring bike. My ‘14 vstrom 1000 has been an workhorse and has 115k miles on it (all mine) and very few of them are freeway miles. Lots of two lane twisties. I’m 66 and don’t know how many big trip I have left so I don’t know.. but right now the 790ADV R is my perfect bike!
  15. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Part of that is emissions requirements requiring more and more electronic feedback and control. But rider modes? Electronic shifting? Servo controlled suspension? Im not interested.
  16. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stripped mine off just for the sake of the simplicity of an uncluttered engine.

IMG_0189.JPG

All of our vehicles are stick shifts, the doors unlock with metal keys, and the windows all roll down with cranks.
  17. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great discussion on a moving target for a perfect bike. The perfect bike is incredibly specific to the individual. Example - the perfect bike for me after more than 50 is a . . . . . Honda ST1300 and I've owned most on the OP's list! Probably the OP's least favorite bike. And for me removing the inner fairing panels completely alleviated the engine heat issue, a shorter aftermarket screen makes it the best for wind protection, and I have run the bike on I-10 in west Texas at very high speeds with absolutely no instability (no top case of course). the reduced price for this bike allowed me to install a full Racetech suspension which may help in its high-speed stability. Regardless, it's fun if not costly to continue the search :-)
    Chillis, TonyKZ1 and AKjeff like this.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just described all of the 700 series Yamaha models, dry weight easily less than 450 lb except the Tenere, which is claimed 452 lb. with Cycle World actual wet weight of 466 lb. No electronic stuff to mess with, just a solid 68 hp at the rear wheel and a lot of fun to ride. Tank range will depend a bit on the model.
  19. motorat

motorat Is it raining

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

this would be nice but we don't get it in the states. The 900 does not interest me. Maybe the XSR700...I did like it when the local yammie shop had a ride day.
    dtysdalx2 and TonyKZ1 like this.
  20. JETalmage

JETalmage Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you shoulda got the same bike as Bronson. I recall an episode in which he entered a motocross on that all-seeing-eye Sportster...and won. ;-)

JET
    PeterTrocewicz, TCBronson and Chillis like this.