Perfect Bike

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Royal Panda, Jun 5, 2021.

1. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had six Sportsters over the years, 2 brand new ,1974, 1999. I have built three accurate replicas and donated one to the Barber motorcycle museum. It's a passion/sickness! P1077321.JPG
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I have, the XSR... no regrets.

I really don't understand why the Tracer isn't in the U.S. yet. Seems it would have a heck of a lot of sport tourers interested as well as some of the light weight adventure tourers - the guys that aren't going to be off the road much, but ride the rougher back roads. My brother does his FJ-09 with the Avon replacement for the Distanzia, occasionally getting on some gravel or dirt back roads that aren't too crazy rough.

Bronson had the perfect bike - it morphed from a Sportster to a Sprint when he went hill climbing, then back to a Sportster. Not sure what it morphed to for the MX race. How much more perfect can you get! :lol3
    fldfcnscsnss likes this.
  3. Corkster

Corkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With that many demands seems to me you want a Miata.
    tooter, VeryBumpy and West Isles like this.
  4. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late to the party but that's exactly why you need to own more than one bike!
  5. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read most of the comments, and have yet to see anyone mention the PC 800 Honda / Pacific Coast. God, why did they give it that horrible name. Sounds to damn sissy if you ask me. My PC has about 30,000 miles on it, and gets ridden very briskly. After reading the comments, I agree there is no "perfect Bike" Because there are no "Perfect Riders" we are as different as night and day. Some are 6 ft plus, and otherers are lucky to break 5 ft. some are 300lbs, and others aren't 150 soaking wet. So I have deduced that the Perfect Bike has to match the imperfect rider. My PC is great on the road soft smooth, and will still corner hard enough to fold the foot pegs. Off road it's ok for the occasional dirt road, or cow trail, but get it off in the trees, forget it. Could use a couple extra horses but what bike couldn't. The thing is it's almost Perfect to me. It fits me I'm 5' - 6" and 200lbs. I don't fit on a Goldwing, and couldn't pic it up if it fell over. I have an NX650 for the Trail riding, and when I ride the trails the Nx is my Perfect Bike. It's all in who you are, and what you intend to do with the bike. No one Bike, or Human, fits all criteria. That's why there is no "Perfect Bike"

Just my thoughts.

JTS
    Johann likes this.
  6. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    After years of searching in my local market I think the bike that comes closest to perfect for my intended use is the Honda CB750 F2N (1992-2001). Not perfect but as close as I can find. Basically a chain driven European version of the Nighthawk. Uses the engine from the CBX750 but detuned from 91hp which is not ideal but 73hp still easily enough for my standard sack of potatoes cruising speed of 120km/h with enough spare for easy overtakes. Centrestand (I am never buying another road bike without one) and most importantly hydraulic tappets like the US Nighthawk. Fuel economy isn´t great, probably looking at somewhere in the high forties (European) but then there is no such thing as perfect, there is always some form of compromise involved.

[​IMG]
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Pretty darn close. Put the Aprilia Touno 660 motor in it instead. And a 19" front wheel. :y0!
  8. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    This one is kinda nice too. 1090 Euro only.

[​IMG]
  9. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    I wish the Japanese had built more road bikes using larger single cylinder engines like the one in the NX650. Anything with trailie styling is going to be a compromise on the road, especially at speeds above 70mph. I´m struggling to think of many, XBR500/GB500, SR500, SRX600, LS650 Savage, SRZ660, there weren´t many. Lightweight, good handling. cheap to run, easy to maintain on a cheap budget.
    Chillis and old1959 like this.
  10. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bikes have become cars.
  11. DutchBoy

DutchBoy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A heavy bike that can munch miles effortlessly and expand your horizons.

A light bike you can throw a leg over anytime without a care.

Enjoy picking either. No idea what's both.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
  12. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven’t summarized all the comments but some attributes folks don’t want are excess weight, top heaviness, hard to maneuver, vibration, etc. Attributes wanted are easiness to ride, enjoyment, dealer network, range, and I would say luggage capable. Below is what I found to be perfect for me at this stage in my life:thumb
    6A57FB8C-F7EF-4C0D-B75E-DEB9D92443B4.jpeg
    Yes, a Yamaha Xmax. An easy to maintain 300cc thumper and so far approximately 90mpg!
    Pabst, LuvPop, GeoAggie and 5 others like this.
  13. JTS 71 Mach1

JTS 71 Mach1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These Super Scooters have come a long way from the days of the Honda Spree, and Helix, or even the Yamaha Zuma's. I was almost scared when I rode a 250 Honda Helix, and it topped out at 82MPH! On a Frickin Scooter!!!! It was squirrely as H E double Hockey Sticks, but it went 82MPH! GEEEZZZZ!

JTS
  14. danny danko

danny danko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM 1290 Super Duke

TL;DR: does everything reliably

The 1290SDR is the only motorcycle Ive owned for more than a year (going on 5+ now) in search for a do it all bike. I doubt I will sell the bike because it is just that good, its damn near perfect for me.

I bought it with 0 miles in Astoria, OR and rode it home to Minnesota over 6 days and 3200 miles. Ive taken it on several multi-day trips. Its been to the track multiple times. Its been off road exploring multiple times. I commute on it whenever possible. Its handled a lot of passengers.

Over its 27k+ miles Ive had two issues. The horn failed and the peg on the kickstand broke off. Other negatives include the front rotor warp / misalignment issue that causes stuttering when braking at low speeds, its annoying but tolerable. The rear tire needs to be replaced too often. The oil is expensive. The restraint required to not go WOT is difficult.

Bike ownership from most recent to oldest.

Yamaha WR250R
    Honda Grom
    KTM 300XC
    Yamaha R6
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Yamaha FZ1
    Honda CBR 954RR
    Honda 919
    Honda XR650R
    Honda 919
    Honda FT500
    dtysdalx2 and hypersports like this.
  15. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Just send it!

Oddometer:
    Yep, fuel use (LOTS) and eating rear tires is another reason I don't like bikes over 1000 cc's or 100 HP.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rent a Road King. Try to ignore how terrible the seat is and know it'll be the first thing you do. Mine didn't have the stock seat for 5 straight days.
    hypersports and sgmarshall like this.
  17. fecundity

fecundity Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Damn hope you at least have air conditioning in your vehicles.
  18. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Versys 650. Eats miles effortlessly. Ride whenever, wherever. Far from a perfect bike (going back to the subject), with its modest brakes & suspension. But it's well suited to going places & to short fun rides.
    DutchBoy likes this.
  19. tooter

tooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In our car, yes.
    In my work truck, no... not even power steering.
    Just a simple no frills work vehicle. :D

IMG_7120.JPG
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.