1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Perfect Squeeze: Off-Road Phone Mount

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Mondo-Hondo, May 10, 2016.

1. Mondo-Hondo

Mondo-Hondo Delusional, but very excited

Oddometer:
    I'm on a bad cell connection and almost in Baja for the next two days do I am having trouble uploading a photo but I can tell you it will clamp a 15mm bar. To clamp smaller than 7/8" you flip the two clamps around in their track and it will clamp down to .5" or about 12.7mm. And we do ship internationally. Free via usps.
  2. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question: how well will this hold a phone in portrait orientation and a steeper mounting?
    Lonster11 likes this.
  3. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great solution for my bicycle - just placed an order.

Probably won't arrive in time for my first metric century on June 4, but a guy can hope, right?
    Mondo-Hondo likes this.
  4. muck

muck new york

Oddometer:
    :-) ordered looks perfect
    Mondo-Hondo likes this.
  5. 52xc

52xc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just broke down and placed an order. It wouldn't surprise me you get inundated with orders so wanted to be first up
    Mondo-Hondo likes this.
  6. Mondo-Hondo

Oddometer:
    It will hold a vertical phone in portrait mode no problem. We thought about adding a tab for this but it turned out not to be necessary.
    ogklx400 likes this.
  7. cug

cug -- Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  8. Kactapuss

Kactapuss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super interested. Have had all sorts of troubles and tribulations with phone mounts on bikes and motorcycles. Theres actually more shock to the phone mounted on a road bicycle because there is no suspension. I've lost some phones hitting potholes this way. I recently cobbled together a mad max style phone holder in an afternoon out of aluminum, but it only fits my iPhone 5 w/ Otterbox case, which I no longer use. I was trying to think of something better but you may have found it.

Moto Mount, https://www.instagram.com/p/7qxc8okmEr/?taken-by=simplebasicbags (it has an elastic cord that holds it down).

Where is the video of yours in action? (EDIT: FOUND IT)
  9. Hog1450

Hog1450 I use the oil you hate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just checked my account, money was deducted and then refunded the next day???
  10. Mondo-Hondo

Oddometer:
    Not sure what that's about. Can you DM me your order number or the name on the order?
  11. Hog1450

Oddometer:
    PM sent. It was through PayPal and I am currently overseas w/ shipping to a FL address... I am sure that had something to do with it!
  12. Hog1450

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hondo for the quick replies, all is good and can't wait to put it on the bike!
    Mondo-Hondo likes this.
  13. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered one with RAM bundle.

Thanx!
    Mondo-Hondo likes this.
  14. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've tested this. Very nice piece of work. And it is exactly what I've been looking for as a mount solution. That is my bike in the photos. :D
    My preferred mounting, though not the app I've used much.
    [​IMG]

Notice the speed of the mighty 990R even on the main stand. :jack

Seriously though, this mount was very, very good for my use. I did not get a chance to beat it up offroad, but I did jump some speedbumps and curbs, and land some hard and soft wheelies. You know for science? Somebody has to do it, might as well be an engineer. :clap
    Having returned the test piece I missed it immediately.
    I only got about 700 miles on it of daily commuting and running errands.
    Get to where I was going, unwind the tightening knob a bit to release the tension on the release button and pop the phone out.
    Phone is then secure in my pocket.
    Easier then fiddling a key for my old Touratech nearly priceless Garmin mount, whose vibration mounts decomposed and Touratech had no spares or anyway of finding them. I knew what they were, but was damned if I'd spend another dime on that f**king Garmin, but I'm not bitter.:-)).
    I figure this mount is the best value out there for an absolutely positive, secure mount for my phone.

My initial ride with the mount and phone, I lashed my phone to a leash, then went and found some foot tall square curbs to drop off of.
    You get some strange looks from people in the hood when you ride a big adventure bike up a sidewalk then jump off the curb. :lol2
    All in the cause of scientific investigation, ma'am. Nothing to see here, move along...
    Colorado Uli, NSFW and Mondo-Hondo like this.
  15. Rassilon

Rassilon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the spacing between the "fingers"? (the short distance horizontal spacing between fingers on the same side, not the adjustable vertical distance)

I'm considering this, but the phone I planned to get, sony z3, has the magnetic charge port and power/vol buttons almost exactly in the center of the phone. wondering if there is enough space between the fingers to fit the charge cable, and to not press the buttons..
  16. mikemaycga

mikemaycga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a mount and look forward to installing it. Hopefully Canadian customs don't hang on to it for too long and double the cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  17. Mondo-Hondo

Oddometer:
    The center distance between the gripper posts is 1.225". It's okay to mount the phone off-center if required. The grippers will hold. That's one reason I went with gripper posts instead of a gripper block, as it makes it more likely to find a position that works without hitting buttons.
    Mr Head likes this.
  18. Mondo-Hondo

Oddometer:
    We ship a lot of camera stuff to Canada and customs is usually pretty swift.
  19. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    My iPhone in the FRE' case had to be mounted a bit off center,
    [​IMG]
    NSFW likes this.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    woo that is SHARP ! congrats on what looks like a pretty tough design and RD process.

edit- watched the video, that answered my question. GREAT job guys !