Perfect Squeeze: Off-Road Phone Mount

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Mondo-Hondo, May 10, 2016.

1. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect that might be why some have problems with it. I love my perfect squeeze, but did kill the camera (telephoto) in my iPhone X. I don’t know it was the mount, but I noticed the problem while on my first longer trip using the mount. I’ve made several more trips since and not killed the replacement camera/screen (all one assembly in this phone), but I’m also careful not to turn the camera on while underway. (No idea if this is relevant).

Since the mount is so solid there’s less slop to absorb/dissipate the small frequency vibrations from the bike to the phone than with the relatively loose fitting ram x. That said, I’m not going back to my ram x.
    motorock likes this.
  2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the PS both with and without the Buzzkill for a couple years. Big singles will kill the image stabilization system on any decent phone. With the Buzzkill on my F650GS Dakar, my Husky TE630 and now my current KTM 690 it had worked perfectly, and NEVER let go of my phone. Can't say that about the RAM Quick grip or the X-grip (garbage IMHO).
    motorock likes this.
  3. smicke

smicke n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm just gonna go ahead and buy a cheapo 100€ phone for navigation purposes. Makes more sense than risking camera damage to a more expensive one. Any 100€ phone will beat Garmin etc. in useability too.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  4. zknezo

zknezo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The moment arm to your mounting seems to play a big role in it, even on twins.
    I ran the PerfectSqueeze mounted between my bar clamps from mid-2017 without issue on either the BMW or the Triumph
    Come early 2018, I installed a GSA windscreen which allowed me to mount it in line of sight above the gauges. Toasted the sensor in my previous iPhone within a few weeks.
    I installed the Buzzkill, got my phone fixed under AppleCare, and the higher mount hasn't given me any issues since (including some crashes on MABDR+MAT sections which banged me up more than my phone)
    I even installed the Juicer last October (which some have said isn't compatible with the buzzkill) and it still works like a charm with a larger iPhone 11 Pro.
    motorock likes this.
  5. motorock

motorock Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the good info- so, the buzzkill works for the most part it seems. Will get the PS with the buzzkill and see if it affects the phone again.
  6. motorock

Oddometer:

Is this a common occurence?
  7. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was issues with the first batch
    But I think it was corrected
    Hondo will chime in im sure
    motorock likes this.
  8. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will the buzz-kill work with the tablet mount? Advertised to work with phone mount, want to verify before ordering,
    thanks,

Kevin.
  9. FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I emailed them about that they said it would probably be too heavy to work properly.
    kvango likes this.
  10. barsj

barsj n00b

Oddometer:
    Same, crickets. Their Juicer product doesn't work, it won't keep a phone charged for more than a couple hours. Can't get any support, help or even a response.

There seems to be a trend with companies serving the ADV market. They seem to be more focused on being cool than running a business and serving customers. Black Dog seems to one of the few that has it right. Everyone else!!!! Review Black Dog's business model please.
    BlackDogCycleWorks likes this.
  11. barsj

barsj n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, after several hours of searching and 3 months of emails I might have found a path to communicate with Hondo Garage. I have no idea who mondo hondo is but he seems to be speaking for hondo garage and seems to be alive.

Below is a post I wrote on another thread. Can anyone here get in contact with Hondo Garage?

Been using the Hondo Juiced Squeeze for several months and my experience has been very different than what I'm reading here. It holds the phone just fine but it doesn't charge, matter of fact it won't even maintain battery level. My phone runs out of battery after only about 4 hours and I have to plug it into another power source to run / charge it.

Now, before the Kool Aid drinkers start with the "i bought one so it must be cool" crap, it's connected right, the phone is on the puck properly, the phones green charge light is on.... yada yada. The Juiced Squeeze is just flat not strong enough to charge a phone.

Been trying for months to get ahold of Hondo Garage to see what can be done about this but crickets. No response.

Given they sell expensive product that doesn't work and their support level is zero, I certainly can't recommend Hondo Garage.
  12. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment! We really appreciate the continued business!

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    barsj likes this.
  13. motorock

Oddometer:
    I tried to email them as well and didnt hear back. And they don't seem to be responding here as well.
    I bough the product but I wonder why they don't respond back to customers? They just sent a shipping email and thats the only communication I got from them....a good company makes great products and has good customer service too. Like Mosko, for example. They are wonderful people and have great products!
  14. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Since you have annoyingly posted this on 4 or more threads in the past day and don't respond in other threads, I'll ask here.

What phone are you using? And are you using a phone case?

FWIW my buddy is running a Samsung Galaxy S20, and with it in a Otterbox case (which is on the thicker side) his phone will charge, but the discharge rate is higher than the charge rate due to the thickness of the case, and he gets the exact same thing you are incessantly complaining about. Removing the case fixed the issue.

Also I've noticed that this juiced mount is VERY sensitive to placement of the phone. You gotta make sure that it's well centered, and even then if the charging puck is not dead center on the phone sometimes it won't charge. Again, my buddy is currently also having trouble with intermittent charging with the same phone because the puck is not dead center.

I think Hondo Garage should have made the Juiced mount longer on the puck side with either slotted post holes or a pattern of tapped holes to accommodate narrower or wider phones. Luckily for me, a Kyocera DFP fits perfectly.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  15. barsj

barsj n00b

Oddometer:
    motorock try getting in touch with MotoPowerPuck (contact@motopowerpuck.com). They got back to me right away and are extremely helpful. MotoPowerPuck has awesome customer service.
  16. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's sad that hondo is abandoning his customers in this manner
    I have his products and have had no problems
    But that being said complete lack of communication with customers is a death sentence for company....
  17. Mondo-Hondo

Mondo-Hondo Delusional, but very excited

Oddometer:
    Just to provide an update. Since Covid hit our sales have practically doubled from what they usually are this time of year. Not complaining at all but that does mean our lead times have stretched and it takes us a bit longer to catch up on emails every day. Sometimes it takes a few days before we can reply. It's not ideal but we're working on improving that. We usually reply within three days but there have been a couple of customer inquiries that got lost in the mix and went way longer than is acceptable.

I check this forum once every few weeks, so sometimes response here is super fast, other times not so much. The best and right now only way to get ahold of us reliably is via email at hondogarage@gmail.com.

Our policy though has always been to send out replacement for items that don't seem to be working properly (or if you just broke it as we offer free repair or replace on damaged mounts). If that doesn't solve the issue then we'll happily refund the purchase. In the case of the charge pucks not keeping up with battery drain, that is not normal, however, there are many variable at play. We will swap a puck out to ensure it's not faulty in some way, but there can be circumstances where it just won't keep up. If that's the case, we would refund if it didn't work in a customer's application.
  18. kwthom

kwthom NOT CV-19 infected; 3x tested!! >:0

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I ride only Goldwings, and have killed two cameras on cell phones. Paved roads aren't as good as they used to be, it might seem.

I'm not certain I've seen it yet, but just what is the weight limit on the buzz-kill? I presume about a pound, but would like to be confident it would be appropriate.
  19. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Emailed @Mondo-Hondo this am, he replied in minutes. I just wanted to be sure that I didn't need any extra mounting hardware with the Perun Moto AMPS compatible mount that I have. I may need some bolt hardware, but I'm sure I have that already. Ordered and on the way. Pix and review to follow.
  20. AEaston

AEaston n00b

Oddometer:
    I emailed and they were super responsive, ram mount on a 350 destroyed the focus on muy iphone 11 pro. fortunatly apple covered it (they are not supposed to warranty if its on a mount) hoping for a better experience with the buzz kill.
    GreatWhiteHunter likes this.