Permatex rust treatment? Experience?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by henrymartin, Oct 3, 2011.

1. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of spots I cannot really get to (frame points where metal overlaps, or inside a U-shaped bracket) to remove all the rust. Is the Permatex Rust treatment just a snake oil, or does it actually perform. I've seen it convert rust to a black surface, but is it permanent, or will it just continue rusting?

Thanks for any opinions/experiences
  2. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    I can't believe no one here used it.
  3. Tepi

Tepi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its same as annitrol, etc. Basically phosphoric acid which turns the iron oxide into iron phosphate. The surface it leaves behind is sorta like parkerizing, yes it will resist rusting, but its not "rust proof".
  4. sideshow

sideshow debaser

Oddometer:

It works but like with any chemical treatment, it's all about prep.

You have to brush off as much rust as possible, get the surface as clean as you can. Wire brushes, sandpaper, anything to get off what is loose or has started the corrosion. Loose rust that's flaking, or metal that is rusting through will have little hope. Surface rust is the best application for it.

It works well on sheetmetal surfaces. I've used it on a truck's fender and it stood untreated beyond the Rust Treatment application for 2 Wisconsin (salty) winters. Considering the exploding rust problems on the Jeep Comanches, it's enough to convince me to buy stock in Permatex. :lol3

For your application of rougher underbody nooks and crannies, I'd suggest looking into the POR15 products. They have a thicker coating made for the underpinnings of vehicles. Popular in this neck of the rust belt among car-guys for painting frames that have surface rusted during their project's build.
  5. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    I figured it would work on the surface rust of the frame, then primed and painted properly.

So, the results are good if it is covered with paint?
  6. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have, but not quite in the application that you are intending. I did it on a bicycle frame, and then I painted over it. I was told that this product would be a suitable primer as well. I used a brass wire wheel on my dremel for prep.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I don't think I took any pictures of these particular parts after I put on the touch up paint.
  7. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    So, how did it hold up after you put on the touch-up paint? And, for how long?

Thanks
  8. 9secondsflat

9secondsflat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used POR15...works fantastic
  9. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's only been about six months since I did it and this bike lives indoors, so it might not be the most fair test. But it's holding up just fine. I didn't intend for this project to be a perfect restoration, just wanted to prevent surface rust from becoming worse or a structural problem. With that goal in mind, I think this worked out quite well and actually looks pretty damn good.
  10. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used it on the door panels of my '97 truck and it held up pretty well. I think your your application it should work great.
  11. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer: