Perry River Road to Seymour Arm.....NOT

Discussion in 'Canada' started by canadasax, Jul 24, 2011.

1. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If any one is going to try the Perry River Road to Seymour Arm (British Columbia), you might want to change your plans a bit.

The entrance to Perry River Road is at Craigellachie

This is right around Kilometer 30

I am the one in the truck........sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys on the KTM's were from Alberta. It kindof threw a wrench into their plans also.
  2. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you were on the Perry river road?
    It starts at the skyline truckstop (esso)
    That looks like the gorge cr. road, it starts at Craigallachie.
    I heard they lost a few culverts up the gorge.
    Cheers
  3. canadasax

Oddometer:
    Yes we were on the Perry River road.
    It did start at the Esso truck stop.
    The weird thing is, We asked the girl in the store if the road was open and she said "as far as I know"
    I guess she didn't know.
  4. Revelstoker

Revelstoker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's definitely the Perry River Road. Very similar spot to where it washed out a three years ago as well. Alternate route up the Gorge FSR will give one the same pleasure - the Albertans confirmed that the Gorge is all good to go. I hooked up with those Albertans the next day - I think they still had fun!

2008 on the Perry just down the road from the newest wash-out.
    [​IMG]

The view from the Gorge FSR over the Shuswap is fantastic - makes up for the alpine views on the Perry!
    [​IMG]
  5. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Tried riding that road 3 weeks ago while doing recon riding for the TCAT. Went back to the truck stop and was told that there is 2 washouts and the road might not be repaired this time.

I'm going to wait awhile and see if we get lucky and the repairs get made anyway. It sure is a bad year for back road riding.
  6. shuswap biker

shuswap biker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will have to try the Adams lake main to the north end and over to the Seymour arm road, just look out for logging trucks.

(bet their still sledding up on the Bourne glacier this year.)
  7. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    We did carry on to Seymour Arm and then went west through Momich Lakes Prov. Park to the top of Adams Lake and on to Vavenby.

The ride through Momich Lakes was excellent.
    [​IMG]
  8. powderhoundin

powderhoundin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm supposed to be driving to Seymour arm this weekend, and unfortunately not on my Dakar.. Is the alternate route (the Gorge FSR) doable in a WRX wagon? How about a Jeep Patriot? :D

I'm so glad I found this thread, because I was going to head up the Perry for sure. I really don't want to drive all the way to Salmon arm and up around the West side of the Shuswap..

Cheers!
  9. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    I would have no problem with either of those vehicles on the Gorge FSR. Having owned a WRX, I think you'll have a good time as long as you don't have 18" rims! I actually think that the Gorge has been in better condition than the Perry over the last few years..

[​IMG]
  10. powderhoundin

powderhoundin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply! I was going to head out Thursday after work. I don't have a 2-way, so maybe I shouldn't since it'll probably be dusk by they time I get there. Sitting on the fence.
  11. canadasax

Oddometer:
    I can't find the Gorge FSR in the BC Backroads map. Is it the same as Anstey FSR? The map doesn't show it going all the way to Seymour Arm.
    I still would like to find this backroad to Seymour arm.
    Thanks

Ken
  12. powderhoundin

powderhoundin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We ended up taking my girlfriend's Jeep Patriot 2wd and went for it on the Gorge FSR. The folks at the gas station in Craigellachie didn't know much about it, and as mentioned above, the two BC Backroad map books they had at the gas station didn't have a clear map of the Gorge FSR. Our new Garmin GPS wasn't that helpful either, but luckily I had downloaded Google Maps onto my GPS capable blackberry which led us the whole way through with no problems. The Gorge starts on Lybarger Rd, which is about a km west of Craigellachie.

Here's what you can get from Google maps by typing in Craigellachie - Seymour Arm. The route Google maps will display is the Perry River FSR, but if you drag the route to the west, it'll highlight the Gorge as per below:

[​IMG]

Anyway, it was in awesome shape, we didn't run into any traffic at all, and the view from the top was spectacular. There was a lot of loose rock, so I would recommend either a bike or a truck. My WRX wagon would have made it, but I would have had to drive a lot more carefully.

Here's a pic from the "summit":

[​IMG]

:clap
  13. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that one is washed out. 2 weeks ago 2 of us rode from Kamloops to the marina up the north end of Seymore arm...fueled up with boat gas, continued through Petipiance pass and down to the revelstoke resevoir where we got a ride on a private barge across the water. 74k down the lake to Revelstoke and back to Kamloops. 550km ...superenduro and an 04 GO!!!!!!:clap
  14. canadasax

Oddometer:
    Nice!!!

How did you hook up with a private barge??

Ken
  15. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bigyetti works for the forestry and had to do some road fsr scouting :clap

Will load some pics....verry cool ride!
  16. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a current status report for a ride from Seymour Arm via Perry River FSR to Craigellachie or Anstey River FSR to Craigellachie?
  17. Revelstoker

Oddometer:
    Smooth sailing on the Perry River FSR. Head's up for logging trucks as they were hitting it pretty hard a few weeks ago when I looped from Perry to the Gorge. Gorge FSR is highly recommended for the views of the Shuswap.
    shuswap1 and farmerger like this.
  18. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the FSR that overlooks Anstey Arm, great views! haven't ridden Perry Rvr, heard there was a bridge out a few years back, making it impossible. Local hunter here suggested you *would* run into Grizzlies at the 42km mark on the North Fork road, not sure where that is but I have little ambition to tempt any Griz. If the bear doesn't get me he'll have a second, easier, chance at the wife following along behind.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was planning on coming out the Gouge last Monday but came out the Seymour as we ran out of time. Did a loop around the top of the Adams and took the Momich over to Humamilt lake. A tad rough with pot holes but other wise good to go. Ken was on his NX Honda with pilot road 4s. Don't need an Adventure bike for these road :lol3
    IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    RevyRider, farmerger and Cal like this.
  20. shuswap1

Oddometer:
    Hey, wife and I did much the same route that day, me on the DRZ, her aboard the 350 EXC-F. From Scotty Creek, east Adams, Momich et al, Albas, Silver Beach, back to SC. Pretty sure I passed your bikes parked at Albas Falls, the sidecar being quite memorable!
    Steve G. and MGV8 like this.