Perth 2 Alice via Outback hwy

Discussion in 'Australia' started by OziGsAdv, Jun 10, 2005.

1. OziGsAdv

OziGsAdv Live 2 ride

Oddometer:
    Gday all,
    My names Simon i'm from perth and i just signed up to Adventure rider. My mate (Oziadventure) and i are riding to Alice via the Outback hwy at the start of next month. Does anyone have any specific area which they think is a must for the trip.

cheers,

hope to here from you all!
  2. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outback Hwy - do you mean the Great Central Rd?

I'm in Alice now heading the opposite direction in a week or so. On a GS Adv myself. What's your plan - dates, route from Perth, etc?

After Uluru, go to Kings Canyon then Merenee (sp?) Loop and up to Namatjira drive via Glen Helen and then sealed rd into Alice - about 130kms. Plenty to see along West Mcdonnells.

Pity you're not here for the Finke - this town is going off!
    Hope to see you out there,

Wolfy.
  3. OziGsAdv

OziGsAdv Live 2 ride

Oddometer:
    yeah, i was disapointed to find out that i was going to miss the 'Finke Desert race'. We're leaving perth on the 2nd of july and plan to be in alice for the Camel Cup on the following weekend.

Just some planning info. i just called the roadhouses below and they all stock the new Opal Unleaded replacement fuel.

TJUKAYIRLA ROADHOUSE(08) 9037 1108WARBURTON ROADHOUSE08 8956 7656WARAKURNA ROADHOUSE(08) 8956 7344DOCKER RIVER STORE NT08 89567373
    I hope handa wins the finke!!!!
  4. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    A group of us did the trip about 10 years ago in May, I was on a harley then. I found the weather station at Giles interesting you need an invite to in. Get some pictures of Len Bedells paintings in the staff rec. hall. not really PC.
    Keep an eye on your fuel an acquaintances had his GS damaged when some petrol-head tried to steel fuel.
  5. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get caught paying the toll to see Uluru, unless things have changed in the last few years the highway runs thru the toll booth. We told the collector we were heading back to WA and weren't charged.
  6. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Hey wolfy - how was the finke road? -
  7. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finke Road? I had all the puckering I could handle before I got that far! [​IMG]

Well actually I had a lot of trouble keeping it upright between Mt Dare and New Crown Homestead (sand) and due to time of day, energy and the amount of bikes practicing the Finke, I opted for the Road to Kulgera. Soft, I know, but still alive!

On Sunday went down the Old South Rd from Alice to see some racing - Awesome. Watched bikes leave and on Monday saw the finish. Seeing how fast these boys come into the end after 2 hours and 230 kms is real impressive. [​IMG]

After all the traffic and a little rain near Alice on the w/e, I would think the road in question is well and truly "finked"!
  8. slowbike smallpenis

Oddometer:

Egads lad - so if the finke is fooked then the Plenty should be a pleasure :huh
  9. Frank Warner

Frank Warner Traveller

Oddometer:
    Last time I was throught Giles things had changed ... no more Tshirts for sale. I think the old staff rec hall has gone...!!!! Lens grader is still there though. Worth a vist if you have not been there before.

There is semipermanent bull dust hole around the Docker River turn off.. just so you know.

If your going east the parks toll gates are set up to collect tolls from the east - so provided you don't go back you will not be asked for money. Don't camp in the park - a few ks on the western side should be ok, then use the next day to see the park for 'free'. Unfortunately the tourist faclities are set up for groups - the whole place is not worth it - next time I'd keep going for Curtin Springs .. or camp beside the road.

Do see Kings Canyon .. not been there since they got the pay camping grouind going but you have to see it once. And I recon Plam Valley is worth a look see.
  10. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you say bulldust Frank? Stuff it I'm going home! Well... maybe not. Only had one nasty bulldust experience - had a big off but no damage or injuries. That was until I picked up the GS which resulted in a sprained ankle. Yes, I agree - what a dick! Luckily there was no one to witness the tantrum and little girl style hissy-fit. Also had another 200kms to go of simliar road with a very heavily strapped ankle. Weeks ago now so shouldn't be wingeing.

I'm going to be staying in Kings Canyon for a few days - met the king pin National parks bloke for the central division. Top bloke too. So doing some volunteer work for a few days to get a good look. They're going to show me around the Mereenie Loop and other nearby attractions. Very Lucky.

Slow, I met a bloke on the weekend (cant remember his name) who came in from over the Plenty and going back via the Sandover. I cant remember details about the conditions (forgive me - it was the Finke weekend) but I did make a mental note that he was a friggen lunatic! (No offence mate if you're reading this - I mean it in the nicest possible way.)

For anyone reading this and not been to Alice Springs, this place is great! Heaps to do and see. Locals real friendly. Two weeks here now and not bored yet. Can recommend heaps to do - just get here.
  11. slowbike smallpenis

Oddometer:

Well we are taking 2 days on the Plenty - price you pay for having a Geologist as riding companion - fossicking, oh what joy :rolleyes
  12. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Rock Jockies - what they find amazing amazes me!

I'm no geologist but spending time in the Mcdonnell ranges is quite humbling.
    Mind blowing stuff. Ancient history that we can see and touch.
    Happy trails!
  13. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sandgroper, are you on the other end of the Great Central? Would be good to catch up if you're around.

Staying with a friend in Warakurna for a few days - just waiting to get my access permit.

Should be around Kalgoorlie/Perth end of the month.
  14. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I got my permit for the last trip about 10 years ago they had us going the wrong way, i queried them on this and they said don't worry about it. :rofl PM me or ring 0427001851 a few days before you get here, I'm back and forth between Wanneroo and Bridgetown at least once a week.
    Ed
  15. Ozieadventure

Ozieadventure BEEAAMMEERR

Oddometer:
    Yeah i have been lucky enough to stop there for a night in 4WD but need some more time to check it out properly. As Simon said unfortunatly we missed the Finke, that would have been amazing up there. Still looking forward to checking the rest of it out with a bit of time on our hands for a change.

Wolfy hope you are enjoying your trip.
  16. j_wolfy

j_wolfy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sure am - back in Alice Springs. In fact changed my mind and heading north. To many people I've met have been telling me to go to Darwin now so have secumbed to peer group pressure and leaving today.

The plan now is to spend some time in Darwin and surrounding Nat Parks then Kunnanurra, Broome (via Gibb Rv Rd), them explore the Kimberly, Pilbara and down the coast to Perth. Will return to Alice via Great Central in a few months. Yes the beer in Alice is that good!

So I suppose I'll have to get off this thread as the new plans are kinda inappropriate. :D

Hope to see all of you somewhere, Cheers Wolfy.
  17. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    You made the right move, I lived in DRW late 60's to mid 70's the Dry is a great time of year but then again so is the wet with its tropical down pours and lighting shows. give me a hoy when you get to this part of the world.
    ed
  18. OziGsAdv

OziGsAdv Live 2 ride

Oddometer:
    We're leaving for Alice this saturday morning. Just looking forward to leaving the city and hitting the open road.:lol3

its going to be nice and cold camping out in the desert, though it'll be great just getting away from it all. There's nothing like bbeing able to see all the stars in the night sky when you're miles from anywhere.

If the weather we've had here in perth the last couple of days is anything to go by, we should have a good run of weather.

I anyone see's us on the way be sure to flag us down. Or have a beer with us in Alice for the Camel Cup!!!!
  19. sandgroper

sandgroper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Where you guys leaving from?
    ed
    PS I think its back to winter conditions on Saturday
  20. OziGsAdv

OziGsAdv Live 2 ride

Oddometer:
    We're leaving from Perth metro. If it does rain i hope that i stops by the time we get to the gold fields, i think it should. For if it doesn't it'l make things interesting when we hit the dirt/clay of the Great Central Rock!!

I've go the video camera packed so we plan to take plenty of footage so that we can cut a bit of a movie/doco' to DVD when we get back.

Looking forward to getting fotage of us coming into the Olgas!!!

happy riding!!!!