Peru: Unfinished Business - Two 200cc Chinese Motos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MotoLara, May 24, 2015.

1. MotoLara

MotoLara ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer:
    Intro: Peru 'Unfinished Business'

Words by Naomi (naotweed) | Photography by Alberto (MotoLara)

Holy cow, it is 2015!? When did that happen?? Where has my youth gone!?? Oh well, I guess this story begins back in the good ol’ days of 2011, when Alberto and I had the privilege of riding our F800GS bikes from Canada to Argentina, however unfortunately for us things went a bit pear shaped once we arrived in Peru. We got some gas, rode into the mountains, yada yada, had to get the engines replaced on both F8GSs. Please lets not re-hash that whole ordeal here, there is plenty of discussion in our RR thread. What I do want to touch on is that while we had an amazing trip overall back in the days of 2010/2011 we always felt a bit cheated by our Peru riding experience. This is what led us to discussing, planning, and ultimately doing this ride: Peru: Unfinished Business.

The basic plan was to ride our newly purchased Keeway 200s, can you feel the power?, as hard as we dare into the Peruvian Sierra covering all the places we were unable to ride the first time around but had planned visit. However we only had 6 weeks of vacation from work so riding ALL the places seemed unrealistic, so we settled for the following mission statement “ride as many awesome roads as we can”.

Team Introductions:

Chasqui, Incas word for the messenger who ran through the mountains of the Inca Empire
    [​IMG]
    Meet Chasqui, Alberto's 200ccs of terror. Can be seen lacking power on uphills at elevations of 2000+ metres above sea level and getting knee down in corners. Best known for being able to climb any hill in first gear. :evil

The indomitable Keeway TX200 packed for adventure
    [​IMG]

Annnnnnnd.....
    Apu, the Incas word for the spirit of the mountains
    [​IMG]

Introducing Apu, Naomi's 200cc companion for Chasqui. Can be seen bouncing along behind Chasqui and best know for bolts going missing. :huh

Apu enjoying the sunset
    [​IMG]

Our stuff:
    [​IMG]
    Naomi
    1) Neck protection with cooling properties
    2) Camping pots
    3) Hydration pack
    4) Solar charger to keep the toys powered
    5) Riding gloves
    6) Communication system

[​IMG]

Alberto
    1) Powder to keep the skin happy
    2) Rok Straps to keep our luggage in place
    3) Miracle glue
    4) Hard Drive for backing up media
    5) Communication device for emergencies…. just in case

[​IMG]

A few teaser photos to wet your whistle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope you enjoy our videos for the trip, there will be an Episode for each day. This is the teaser video of the whole trip. We’d love it if you subscribed to our YouTube channel and left your feedback in the comments section. We really want to hear what you think. :earThank you!

OUR ROUTE: http://www.motolara.com/trips/peru-2014/Peru-2014-Map/

2. AdventureCC

AdventureCC n00b

Oddometer:
    I like your writing and the photos are breathtaking. I am subscribed!! to both the report and the youtube channel!

Keep em coming!:clap
  3. fundamentalbass

fundamentalbass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Damn good you tube videos. Inspiring. You now have me searching for this bike (I'm in NZ) for my solo around Australia ride. That model is not available off the shelf from a dealer in NZ - not sure about AUS at the moment as cannot see much of Keeway there. The characteristics will be discussed later I hope :ear Cheers!
  4. naotweed

naotweed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. Glad to have you along for the ride. :D
  5. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in! :ear
  6. gungpasuruan

gungpasuruan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    in my contry, this bike named as Benelli Python 200

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  7. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Gracias fundamentalbass! (cool name)

We'll touch more on the bikes later for sure but overall our little Keeways performed very well given the tricky terrain and high altitudes! :clap:clap

Cheers!
    Alberto.
  8. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Bienvenido abordo Steve! always great to have you on board :D
  9. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Very cool gungpasuruan! nice colour option you get in Indonesia :eek1 ...me likes!

Nice looking inverted forks as well!! definitely the better version of our Keeway TX200-EN that we bought in Peru

How's your Python 200 performing?
  10. facundonu

facundonu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    awesome bike!!

you can get them here, in argentina, in an adventure version (like that one) and a motard version (17" alloy rims with road tires). very good riding position and comfy seat for long trips, wich is hard to find in small DS bikes.
  11. gungpasuruan

gungpasuruan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it's not my bike.
    it's belong to Mario Iroth.
    he have been riding around Indonesia with sponsored bike,
    then continue his journey from Bandung to Paris
  12. fundamentalbass

Oddometer:

It looks like I may have to travel to Argentina, East Java or Peru to get one. I'm hoping they are super cheap, super-get-you-there-and-back dual sports... I'm hoping :D Will keep my eyes open in Australasia.
  13. CedricJambo

CedricJambo n00b

Oddometer:
    Your bikes only for export, I can't find them in Chinese market. and my bike is YAMAHA YBR250, a lot of rider like travel on it.

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  14. MotoLara

Oddometer:
  15. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    We paid USD $1,500 per bike (cheap in my opinion) .. the fun-to-price ratio is excellent! :rofl
  16. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Nice bike CedricJambo! I bet it's lots of fun to ride.

Cheers,
    Alberto.
  17. fundamentalbass

Oddometer:
    Hm, bloody cheap. New KLR650s and DR650s in NZ are NZ$9k (US$6500-ish at the moment) plus $$$ on road costs. DRZ400s NZ$10. Similar in Australia, I think.
  18. gungpasuruan

gungpasuruan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

it cost Rp. 28,000,000 ($ 2000) for Indonesian market,
    with 17" cast rim, supermoto tyre and up-side-down front shock
    Combatscoot likes this.
  19. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video! This should be a good ride report. I see you went to Kuelap...the other Machu Pichu. I went there 25 years ago. I hope it hasn't changed. Tell us more about the getting the bike...you just walked into a moto shop...paid $1500 and rode away. Then what did you do with the bike after the trip.
  20. MotoLara

Oddometer:
    Trip Prep

So we had a plan, well sort of, maybe we should look at a map or something... What we did have was return tickets from Edmonton to Lima and two Keeway motorcycles stored in Huanchaco, Peru. You’ve got to start somewhere. The first step we took along this journey was to look at a map together. This was done back in Canada not at the side of the road in Peru by the way. We both had some ideas of places we wanted to go, so we loosely planned out some routes in google earth and google maps. The next step was packing. Oh boy, I naively underestimated this step in the process. We barely got all our stuff into two checked bags each, accompanied by some seriously bloated carry-on items, but we made it work. We usually travel light and agile, but that was definitely not the case for this trip.

Leaving work for warmer, MUCH warmer, lands :clap
    [​IMG]

March 19th began like any other day. We woke up early, not exactly bright eyed and bushy tailed. We had spent the previous evening re-jigging our packing to make sure we came in on weight. Air Canada aren’t the type of airline to be generous with these sorts of things. Shower, breakfast, shuttle to the airport.

Meanwhile at our hotel...
    [​IMG]

Check in at the Air Canada counter was fairly painless. The bag check gentleman was a bit old and grumpy, but we were playing by the rules so there was nothing he could do to stop us. Security was a cinch and we were officially on our way. Our route was a flight from Edmonton to Toronto then onwards to Lima straight from Toronto. We had about 3 hours in the airport in Toronto, which we used to refuel, and relax.

The joy of waiting at airports in between flight connections!
    [​IMG]

'Chicken' for in-flight supper, YAY! :lol3
    [​IMG]

Almost there! work > Edmonton > Toronto > Lima > Huanchaco
    [​IMG]

I was able to sleep somewhat on the plane, Alberto was not. The Air Canada staff was friendly, keeping us hydrated throughout the 8hrs or so flight. Going through customs and retrieving our luggage was really easy in Lima. Soon enough we were navigating the shark infested waters of taxis and tours at the arrivals gate. Having just woken up it was a bit of a shock to the system at ~1:00am. Thankfully Alberto's friend Rodrigo came to pick us up at the airport. And a good thing too since all our stuff pretty much filled his Jeep Cherokee. We spent the night, or what was left of it anyway, at Grandma's house. It's pretty humid here in Lima, welcome back to Peru.

With La Abuelita in Lima. She's a big fan of María y Jesús :deal
    [​IMG]

We only had the one day in the capital and we had a bit of a list of things that needed to get done. I enjoy riding in taxis in Lima though. It is fascinating. Somehow there are few accidents (at least I have yet to be in one in a taxi) and the horn language is entertaining in short doses. I also like the freedom to look around while sitting in the back of the taxi, unlike the constant focus that is required while riding a motorcycle in those streets. We were able to quickly get the things on our list checked off.

The bus to take us to Trujillo left Lima at 10:30pm. The person doing security at the bus station was pretty cool. He quickly checked my items by squeezing one of my carry-on bags. "Helmet?" he asked, "Yes" I replied. He then squeezed my very full backpack. "Equipment?" "Yes" I replied. He smiled and asked if I was doing motocross, since I had never heard that word before and didn't understand I smiled and nodded. Alberto later told me he was talking about Motocross. He looked very excited about my motocrossing in Trujillo, which started to get me excited as well.

Bus ride to Trujillo
    [​IMG]

We arrived in Huanchaco Beach refreshed and ready for hard day of work. The bus arrived at 8am. The goal was to hit the road as soon as possible. We were able to spend some time visiting with Alberto's family, but more or less we were down to business right away. It was a bit of a relief to have finally reached our destination. It was rather stressful managing our 4 massive bags and 4 carry-on items. Once settled we got busy with our long list of todos: washing the bikes, installing our farkles, unpacking and organizing our stuff etc... Boy are these Giant Loop’s a nice piece of kit. They packed up nice and small in the luggage and installed onto the bikes without a fuss. They were key to our plan to pack all our stuff onto these Keeways.

Bikes were covered in WD40 to prevent rust during storage
    [​IMG]

It wasn't just Naomi doing the cleaning...:D
    [​IMG]

Lunch with la familia
    [​IMG]

Installing some farkles :norton
    [​IMG]

This one is done! :freaky
    [​IMG]

The bikes had some troubles starting but they eventually came to life, though after all was said and done one still had a dodgy battery. Alberto definitely got a workout starting them, as he was running up and down the road trying to bump start them. We worked long into the night, and by the time we went to bed we were both exhausted. Day two was essentially a repeat of day 1. We both were still working hard on trip prep. Or at least that was what we thought. When Alberto went into Trujillo to run some errands he noticed his bike was running like a piece of crap. Not exactly the news I wanted to hear.

Sativa is the family's dog and a great guardian!
    [​IMG]

Other than that though things were coming together slowly but surely. We took both bikes into Trujillo, to a bike shop, to see about sorting Alberto's bike and getting the oil changed. I followed Alberto through the city and I could hear his bike backfiring like crazy.

This was my first time riding my bike and the first impressions are good. The front wheel feels a little flimsy but overall the power and handling seem fine. Finding neutral requires a PhD in mechanics, but what is a bike without character. Oh and Aberto took my battery, so my bike needs to be kickstarted because the battery can't power the electric start. This leaves me extremely nervous during idling situations at intersections. What is an international adventure without a little excitement?

Back at the mechanics they greeted us and quickly brought Chasqui in to get worked on. I'm not exactly sure what happened but he fixed the crappy bike syndrome. It took him a while and he was working hard to get things just right. From what I understood of the conversation the mechanic seemed very knowledgeable. He also had two helpers, one of which was friendly and chatty. After sorting Alberto’s bike they quickly changed our oil, adjusted our chains and even fixed up my front rack. These guys were slick. I joked to Alberto that if these guys had rebuilt our BMWs 3 years ago we wouldn't have had any problems. When all was said and done we had working bikes and we were very grateful. It was dark by the time we left the mechanic shop. Filtering and trying to follow Alberto at night through the city was a bit tricky but I made it okay. Another day in the books.

Ceviche: delicious local dish!
    [​IMG]

Sunset in Huanchaco, from the top floor.
    [​IMG]

20 minutes later...
    [​IMG]

With the bulk of the packing done the previous day we spent today finishing up our packing and bike mods. We finished everything up by mid afternoon so we took some time to relax and visit. Everything was on the bikes ready to go bright and early for the next day. Braaaaaaap! Next stop, somewhere awesome.

Episode 1 Video
    Bananapete, 10ecjed and BrynhldrRider like this.