Perun moto KTM 690 / Husqvarna 701 products

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Perun, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Kam,

Those extra holes are pre-drilled on racks for 2019 models. Try it out with holes you got, it will probably work out fine. If you drill new holes, do it between mounting bolt positions. Do not drill near bend line, that will weaken the rack.
  2. autonhome

autonhome Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi !
    Happy customer of your 690 products (rear rack, heels guards and rear cylinder guard), I'm now very interested in your solution for rear rack + add-on grab handles.
    Indeed, having grad handles is mandatory where I live, and your current rear rack for 2008-2018 690 is not enough to pass technical checks :-(
    Are you still working on this solution ? Do you have an ETA ? I've found another product like yours but with grab handles, but I'll be pleased to stay fidel to Perun ;-)

Thank you !
  3. Perun

Oddometer:
    Hi man, thank you for kind words!

This week we will finish first prototype of add-on grab handles for 2019+ racks. CAD models are finished. If all goes well, this should be fully developed and ready for production is one month. After that I may do the same for 2008-2018 racks.

But please mind that I am not sure in legality of our grab handles, if there are some legal requirements in your country, I am not sure our grab handles will satisfy them. Or any other aftermarket, non-OEM grab handles.

Cheers,
  4. autonhome

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your answer !
    I'm pretty confident your solution should be fine for inspection. Indeed, on my DRZ400, simple rear rack (tubular) was enough to be consider as grab handle...with the current rear rack, it's not working because it's all flat and not enough space under the rack to grab it.
    It's kind of stupid as I don't carry passenger, but yeah...this is law !
    Looking forward for your solution ;-) I'm verry happy to hear about that !
  5. Perun

Oddometer:
    @autonhome @dragos

More on grab handles.

I am in a final stage (I hope) of designing add-on grab handles for our racks. Currently for 2019+ 690's, but I will easily do the same for 2008-2018 bikes and for Huskies.

When I was designing luggage rack for 2019 KTM 690 Enduro, I had some doubts - should I implement grab handles in the rack or not. I opted to make rack a bit wider than previous model, so I could grab the rack to pick up the bike from the ground or to maneuver it around the garage, but I didn't implement grab handles in the rack. I had several reasons for leaving them out. First, integrated grab handles would add width to the rack, which would affect how some rack-less systems sit on the bike. Second, integrated grab handles can't be positioned so they are comfortable for the pillion.

But now I am close to finishing design of add-on grab handles (shown for 2019+ KTM 690 rack). Base is made of stainless steel and "handle" is aluminum. It can be installed/removed in a minute. It is placed ergonomically (angle and weight relative to the pillion). Also, 18 mm thick "handle" makes it safe to grab. Simple sheet aluminum is too thin and it is not comfortable to grab it, even with a gloves.

Left handle is mirror image of right one, so handles can swap sides, if anyone prefer them to face downwards.

If you have any questions or ideas, please let me know!

Annotation 2020-02-13 175202.jpg
    dooby likes this.
  6. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the grab handles, I have the prerun rack without the extender on my 690 and I often use the rack as a grab point, it would be fantastic to have an actual handle for moving the bike around.
  7. autonhome

Oddometer:
    Awesome !!!!

So, I will have to buy another Perun rear rack as I sold mine (I was looking for another solution for rack+grab handle...)
    Perun likes this.
  8. Perun

Oddometer:
    We recently update design of our Heel guards for KTM 690 Enduro and Husqvarna 701 Enduro.

Now part is milled out of 6 mm aluminum, with improved strength and same weight as previous 5 mm model.

All edges are very smooth, to prolong the life of straps.

We also slightly updated location of the slots, so it's even more convenient to strap rack-less bags to Heel guards.

And we added pre-drilled hole for Kriega OS-rack loop. With additional G-hook mounted on the straps of rack-less bag, this can make mounting and dismounting bags very easy.

If you don't see photos, please check - https://www.perunmoto.com/collectio...uro-r/products/ktm-690-enduro-smc-heel-guards

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    makar likes this.
  9. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cant get the pictures to work. Try again!

I have your perun rack in the rear of my 690, and also use the Rotopax on top and the OS-base on the sides. Cant find a good mounting point to the upper straps of the OS on the rear rack when also using the Rotopax. Any ideas?
  10. Perun

Oddometer:
    Strange, I see photos on my PC, but don't see them on my phone. Please check https://www.perunmoto.com/collectio...uro-r/products/ktm-690-enduro-smc-heel-guards if you don't see photos. And thanks for heads up.

I just ordered OS-base, so I can check that out. It will take week or two before I get it.

Have you tried to use countersunk bolt from above, and mount Kriega rack loops on the underside of the rack. Check here for more details - https://www.perunmoto.com/blogs/blog/2019-ktm-690-enduro-luggage-rack-and-kriega-us-10-us-20

Attached Files:

11. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The new heel guards looks good!

About the countersunk bolts - No, ive not used them (yet). I'll post some pictures this weekend of how it looks like on my bike and what the issue is. I could mount the upper straps to one of the mounting holes and it would work, but it would probably tear the OS-base after a while when fully loaded with gear and weight (2x18l). I want the force to pull the strap in the right direction and not in any angle, just to make sure it will hold up. I guess it's the Ph.D. in me talking..
  12. Perun

Oddometer:
    It makes perfect sense. Send some photos if you find time. And I will check all out as soon as I receive OS-base I ordered.
  13. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed the Perun rear rack with subplate on my 790R. Great stuff, very happy with the purchase. I thought it was super cool when I opened the rack and you had QR codes for the docs. The rack was fine and came right up, but the QR code on the subplate didn't work for me. Just wanted to let you know, I just went straight to the site like we did in the old days. :-) You know you've got a great product when all customers have to whine about are QR codes!

IMG_0956.png
  14. Perun

Oddometer:
    Oh, sorry and thanks for heads up! It seems I messed something up, I will correct that ASAP.

Glad you like it! :)
  15. Perun

Oddometer:
    Update on add-on grab handles for our 2019+ KTM 690 Enduro Luggage rack. Grab rail is finished, this is final prototype. It’s 4 mm stainless steel. It will be powder coated to black, of course.

IMG_3875.jpg

We still have to mill proper handle, that’s why there are three holes on the grab rail. Handle will be made out of aluminium and it will be approx. 19 mm thick and rounded, for perfect and safe grip.

Hard to see on the photos, but handles are more narrow than the bike, so they don’t hit the ground first.

IMG_3881.jpg

Handles are bent upwards, in a perfect place for passenger to hold them, without too much pressure on the hands. But we also made them interchangeable, so they can be mounted so they point downwards.

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3897.jpg
    Allucaneat and krussell like this.
  16. autonhome

Oddometer:
    It's exactly what I was waiting for !

Such a shame, I sold my Perun rear rack :-( (I wanted to buy another rear rack option with handles)
    I'll wait until you make the same things for old 690, and I'll buy another rack+handles from you ! :-)
  17. Perun

Oddometer:
    We will think of something, when time comes. No worries. ;)
  18. Mahhbechh

Mahhbechh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are two bad quality pics which shows the difficulties of making a good mounting point to the rear rack when using OS Base and Rotopax withount compromising the fuel cap accessibility.

I had to route the Kriega straps in between the upper and lower rack plates in order to get the forces somewhat right. It works but doesnt look right :)

Attached Files:

19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i meant to mention but waited too long. the slots are all parallel and aesthetically appealing, however there are various rack-less bags that the strap are going down in various angles causing it to bunch up inside the slot. i wonder if you could still make changes on the slot orientations with different angles.

i like the grab handle facing downwards, it also serves as a protection and prevents burning the luggage or bag from the hot exhaust pipe.
  20. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Since they seem to be hooking up with kriega I have no problem suggesting a kriega haul loop over the handle option. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...jKWhy5UQIafDDHDdU0OX6R8HsEy8DqABoCAOQQAvD_BwE

Pls Delete this if it is not helpful.