1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Perun rack 790 R

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by AKA HAL, Feb 8, 2020.

1. AKA HAL

AKA HAL workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer:
    After perusing tons of threads on here and other sites, I've decided to get a Perun rack for my 790 Adventure R. Not sure if I want something smaller on it (Wolfman) or larger (Mosko Moto Scout or Backcountry), or if I'll use it in the future for Rotopax for fuel or water. Also not sure if I plan on putting panniers or rackless at some point for camping. All those decisions will come in time after I've used it for a while. For the time being, I just want some storage so I can shed layers, have a few liters of water, etc.

My question to those already using this rack:
    1. Should I get the extra subplate so it's relatively level with the seat, or leave it elevated so it's flatter and stronger? (I've got to assume that one more layer of connections (the subplate) would make it weaker, but not sure that would ever be an issue.)
    2. Take the passenger grab handles off? Leave them so there's extra "base" for a bag to sit on? They're nice for moving the bike around so far.
    3. Once I have the rack in place, any recommendations for bag for the back, just for day riding? There's a pretty big temperature difference between where I live/ start and the best riding close to me, so layers are going to be involved (once the snow is melted and I can get up there). As above, layers, water, and simple tools are all I need room for... for now. I might get a rackless or pannier system in the future if I decide to use it for overnights or longer trips.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Hal
    Perun likes this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good choice! I've been very pleased with their stuff. I went with their regular mount and stripped off the rear handholds. For day rides I use a little Kreiga 10 liter bag on the back but just about anything will work. Sometimes I run Wolfman Day Tripper saddle bags instead. Sometimes both. For trips I run the Mosko Reckless 80 and the Small Kreiga on the back. Point being, with a good rear rack on the bike the possibilities are endless. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re unsure now, just use what you’ve got, play around and experiment.
    That’s all part of the fun for me.

Get the Perun sub-plate too then you have options. :thumb
    Perun likes this.
  4. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I've nearly died a couple of times catching my feet on the grab handles, I couldn't wait to get rid of them. I chose to direct mount the Perun Moto rack as low as possible and with no sub plate. E9521684-2267-426A-BD43-5D427FD0E913_1_201_a.jpeg
    Perun, 1coolbanana and TrailTrauma like this.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a pic of mine with the subplate so that you can see how it lines up with the seat. Compared to @EvilSteve pics above, it looks like the subplate mount actually results in a lower overall mounting nearly in line with the seat.
    20200208_165559.jpg
    Perun likes this.
  6. PomInOz_

PomInOz_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's easier to fit with the subplate, no trying to flip the rack round keeping all the bolts in place. The box it comes in makes that easier if you lie the rack upside down on it and flip the box round which holds the bolts in.

I tried with the grab-handles on at first then decided to take the handles off as didn't work well with my luggage and at the same time put the sub plate on just to see and it's been on since.

Without the grab handles rack-less luggage fits far easier and closer to the bike.

I also have the rear panels off for better luggage fitting so attached a Kriega haul loop to the rear sub frame. Makes maneuvering / pushing the bike when off it far easier.
    Perun, CaseyB and braaap! like this.
  7. selecw

selecw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Mosko Moto Reckless 40 - flexible enough for day or multi day riding and camping
    Perun likes this.
  8. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    I ended up going that high because any lower configuration would have had the rack sitting on the rear plastic. The subplate looks like it's at a different angle? Looks good though.
    Perun likes this.
  9. AKA HAL

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Always nice to have more info.

After I read their site a little more closely, the rack is shipped with the additional spacers included, so I don't have to make a decision whether to take of the grab handles or not prior to ordering.

As an aside, Perun has a pretty good blog post explaining using or not using the subplate here (https://www.perunmoto.com/blogs/blog/790-1x90-top-luggage-rack-on-ktm-790-adventure-r-brief-overview). Counterintuitive, but using the subplate actually lowers the rack, and tilts it forward a little so it's in line with the seat.
    gar, TrailTrauma and kubcat like this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    @Perun has the nicest blog. Photos and explanations are top notch!

[​IMG]
    DRglidarn, braaap!, Perun and 2 others like this.
  11. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, with each rack we supply additional spacers for removing OEM grab handles.

We recently re-modeled Subplate. Actually, "old" Subplate is still in our product line-up, as "1X90" Subplate, but we designed new Subplate specifically for 790 - that one is described in blog post you linked. New Subplate places rack as low as possible and at the same angle as OEM seat. That is my preffered method of mounting our rack onto 790. But it depends on the luggage you will carry.

By the way, Subplate is made of 4 mm stainless. So entire assembly is very, very strong.

Please, let me know if you need any additional info, I will be glad to help, if I can.

IMG_3345_2000x.jpg
    cwk, braaap!, EvilSteve and 2 others like this.
  12. AKA HAL

Oddometer:
    Just ordered.
    Perun likes this.
  13. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you still plan on doing those small side carrier plates?
    [​IMG]
    krussell likes this.
  14. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For short rides, I use a tailbag called the Q-Bag. Got it on fc-moto.de for like $30. Fits my rain jacket/pants and a couple other small things.

qbag.jpg
    Venturer and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. Beeners

Beeners Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those that have removed the grab handles, how do you pick the bike up?
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    A lot of guys remove the rear plastics, exposing the frame, which becomes their grab handles. Or simply grab the rack.
    braaap! likes this.
  17. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, still plan to do those. Hopefully, it is next on the schedule. I should have some news in about one month.
    krussell and CaseyB like this.
  18. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Even with the side plastics still on you can hold the frame pretty well where they end.
  19. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response.
    Reason I keep asking is, I was thinking it would be a great way to mount some small bags to the plate - tools, pump, etc., then be able to put soft luggage over it.

The major benefit for me would be keeping the soft luggage off the frame and not wearing the coating on the frame away from straps/bag rubbing. I made that mistake on my 690 w the my coyote bag straps.

Also utilizes space better w items you may/hopefully don’t need to access. All the while keeping a slim profile.
    (All done without rear plastics)

Anyways, that’s my thoughts.
  20. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer: