1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Perun rack 790 R

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by AKA HAL, Feb 8, 2020.

1. KTM Freak

KTM Freak Disgruntle Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m running a Perun rack along with a Giant Loop Coyote and still have room for a dry duffle if needed.

Attached Files:

2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at this gif just now and recalled that I tried a few different combos of the spacers supplied when I installed mine. I ended up with the rack somewhere between the two height levels shown above. It did require cutting a bit off the long front bolts though. Ah well, I never have been all that good at following directions... LOL

Tried to capture a photo with a similar angle for comparison.

[​IMG]

perun rack2.jpg
    EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Hey @Perun; I have one of your excellent racks that fit my 2018 690 Enduro. Will that same rack fit the 790? If so, do I need some additional hardware?
  4. Hornblower

Hornblower Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have the Perun rack, but did not eliminate the grab handles. On a longer solo ride I totally would, but my wife rides with me sometimes.
  6. JohnRansom

JohnRansom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my top box solution. Im waiting for better weather to get more storage. It is a 26 inch Rigid toolbox bolted to the perun rack.

With the car seat cushion strapped in place, the wife reports that the bike is much more comfortable.

Edit- the box is 40 bucks and the back rest was a gift from a time when I jacked up my back. So total cost with the perun rack is right around 200. An incredible deal considering the cost of legit top boxes.

Attached Files:

JP4 and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. Perun

Perun Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi! Nope, won't fit, very different racks/bikes. Thanks for 'excellent'! ;)
    BobcatSig likes this.
  8. Phil/TX

Phil/TX Phil/TX

Oddometer:
    image.jpg I dropped my bike in the driveway, landed on the Perun rack, and no damage, the rack was bent but not broken, saved the bike. After I ordered a new one my friend straightened it, so I painted it, and have it for sale, $100, plus shipping.
    Perun likes this.
  9. krussell

krussell Gravel Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang. My new one arrives Monday. Someone is going to get a deal.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was an unlucky hit! No passenger pegs or did the rack hit a retaining wall on the way down?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Now that I think about it...bike usually hits the bar end first, then the tank bulbs. A number of times I have dropped my bike the wheels were up in the air, bar ends buried in dirt 4" and resting on the lower tank. Don't remember ever striking my rear rack area.

The lovely thing about the bike resting on the lower tank, is it acts as an awesome point to rotate the bike (especially on hills where you want to be lifting the bike while standing UPHILL) so you can get it into an optimal lifting position. Other bikes I've had where I had to drop them to drag them under a chain between properties in the woods etc have been a bit more of a drag; literally. ;)
  12. Phil/TX

Phil/TX Phil/TX

Oddometer:
    The rack hit on concrete the handle bars on the grass.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. AKA HAL

AKA HAL workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer:
    Just installed it. I've got a 2020 bike, and had to deviate from the directions on the website a little. Installing w/o subplate, w/o grab handles, I was bottoming out the M8x55 in the back, so used the M8x45 instead and it worked great.
  14. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Perun

Oddometer:
    You did well, I just updated instructions.

I hope all is well with the rack. If not, I would appreciate letting me know what's wrong, so I can sort it out.
  16. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong at all. From what I saw, it is top notch quality just like everyone says. I am just doing something different.
    Perun likes this.
  17. Kaoslash

Kaoslash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the rack compatible with the touratech adapter for top box ?
  18. Perun

Oddometer:
    No, but it can be adapted. You would need to enlarge rear holes from 7 to 9 mm and to drill front holes.

IMG_9736.jpg
    cwk and Kaoslash like this.
  19. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    :super

By the looks of it I ended up with pretty much the same thing. I used the middle sized spacer at the back and the tallest combined with the shortest on the front. I had to shim the back end by about 2mm to keep the rack off the tail plastic and the front by roughly 4mm to keep the rack perpendicular to the spacers so the bolt heads would have no angular shear force on them. I had to shorten the 75mm bolts slightly to avoid bottoming out.

Perun did a fantastic job on this rack. I don’t think I’ve seen another that is as compatible with as many top boxes as this, nor as versatile. Attention to detail is outstanding as well. Not a sharp edge to be found anywhere on the rack. As someone wrote above, installation instructions and the blog found on Perun’s website leave no stone unturned. :super Perun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it’s sacrilegious to have a box like this on this bike but it comes in handy for urban riding/commuting when I need semi secure storage. The fact that I had the box from a previous bike factored into it as well. Mounting holes were perfect and the box is on and off in seconds.

[​IMG]
    Flatroads, Perun, CaseyB and 2 others like this.
  20. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did the rack come GIVI ready? I’m in the same boat with the same box....but haven’t figured what rack or if I would just sell the Givi and start over...