Petroglyphs, Grapevine Canyon Nevada

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sandiegoland, May 2, 2006.

1. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    Around 6 miles west of Laughlin Nevada is the junction of SR-163 and Christmas Tree Road. From there the trail head to the Grapevine Canyon Petroglyphs is just 2 miles of well maintained 2WD dirt road. Beyond that, continuing on north and then west Christmas Tree Pass Road to US-95, the road can get get quite washboarded (if graded recently) and have fresh sand and gravel spread in some sections. There are some steeper sections near the pass. The sections crossing washes can be also be quite soft (more notable if you are 2UP without knobbies like we were, otherwise hardly worth a mention).

Complete tracks at GPXchange.com

The petroglyphs were numerous. This isn't just a few selected pieces of rock art. If you visited here several times you would still be finding more of them. Quite a few are viewable up close at ground level.

[​IMG]
    Christmas Tree Pass Road north from SR-163

[​IMG]
    Grapevine Canyon as seen just beyond the trail head

[​IMG]
    A rock formation along the way (PACman?).
    It's only a 400M walk from the trailhead to the first Petroglyphs.

[​IMG]
    The rocks are covered!

[​IMG]
    Many petroglyphs can be seen at ground level

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some small treasures further up the slopes

[​IMG]
    Lots of beautiful natural formations too!!
  2. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Continuing on to the pass you see the jagged ridge of Spirit Mountain

[​IMG]
    The view westward to Christmas Tree Pass

The road continues west to a junction with US-95. A lot of plowed sand and gravel collects in the low spots and over washes (more notable if you are 2UP without knobbies, otherwise hardly worth a mention).
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    gorgeous pics! :thumb
  4. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, fascinating subjects too.

Thanks for posting them here, I'm constantly amazed by the amazing things that I see on this site:clap

Cheers
    -Simon
  5. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was hard to believe we were within 10 miles of about 75,000 bikers (Laughlin River Run)... it was a nice break...

[​IMG]
    This is me the day before in Oatman, AZ checking out some vintage bikes.
  6. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the natural formations in the leather pants aren`t to bad either!
  7. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    :nod I try to remind her of that on a daily basis!! :feelgood
  8. bajaburro

bajaburro Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great ride, great bike,great partner, what could be better? BOB
  9. brfinley

brfinley Brooster

Oddometer:
    Interesting aside:

Christmas Tree Pass was used as a stage in the Nevada Rally, a USAC Pro Rally series event in 1980. That is the go fast, closed roads, timed stages kind of rally. I was a navigator. The road was run twice, eastbound in the afternoon, then westbound after dark. Even at high speed and with my nose buried in the route book I remember how scenic the road was.

That is also the stage where Rod Millen totalled his RX-7. It was on the westbound stage at night out in the flats after the pass. I think he and his navigator either forgot about or misplaced a small chicane through a sandwash. They rolled end over end from over 100 mph. Fortunately the injuries weren't too serious.

I have always wanted to visit there again at a more casual pace and be able to stop for a look around. Thanks for reminding me of the place.
  10. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    I could see a few spots where that might happen. We really had to watch for stuff spread in the curves:
    [​IMG]

Here's looking back at our wavoring tracks at a place I let off the throttle to slow up for a stop:
    [​IMG]

I was watching my line, trying to read the road by following a specific set of truck tracks (where I could see how far that vehicle had sunk in at spots). The tracks would occasionally get close to the edge where my wife was apparently keeping a close eye at the cactus passing by.:shog At one point I caught something in my eye near the side of the road and cut over to the center (I thought it might be a branch or something)...

...afterward my wife said "I like how you avoided running over the end of that big rattle snake." :clap

I'm like, "wha....?" :eek1
  11. Elefant 900 Rad

Elefant 900 Rad Hedley

Oddometer:
    Cool Craig.......I see you are off on that trip you were talking about ?? More please........:ear
  12. duckrider

duckrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice photos of the glyphs! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area. My wife and I have photographed petroglyphs all over the west. The best that we have found so far are near the Green River in Utah.

Nice to see another e900 on the road.These are the best kept secret in the big trailie catagory. Mine is in pieces in my shop in the process of a rebuild / refurb/ repaint. Too damn many projects. This week has been about cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking firewood. Well, I did get in ONE day of dirt riding, you can't work EVERY day.

Duke
  13. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    The 11 State run is in a few weeks. This side trip to the petroglyphs was actually just part of our weekend out to Laughlin with my in-laws for the River Run...

[​IMG]
    Assorted rear ends at the 24th Laughlin River Run (4/06)
  14. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Wow! cool pics. I've only seen petroglyphs near Moab but they are pretty cool. Lotsa cool stuff to explore out there.