Phil Smage Recovering!

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Gordy, May 27, 2018.

1. ZippyGasGas

ZippyGasGas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I get it. Going for a record on a ramp designed for less ramp velocity.

UTV jumping would scare extra because of a short wheelbase. Controlling and altering pitch in a sustained flight is limited.
  3. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    I was surprised to see this under "trials"... caught it from the index page and recognized Phils name (as - not - a trial rider)... UTV jumping eh...?

With all the experience and expertise the Nitro crew have at building ramps, calculating jumps etc. the result here really shocks me. I mean, sure - for the video's - they ham up the daredevil's "devil may care" attitude of "hold my Red Bull and watch this"... but there is for sure a lot of professionalism behind the scenes to get the mechanics of this stuff correct.

In agreement with Motobene - UTV's do give me the impression of not being the most "stable" jumping vehicle ever concieved. I looked at the video of both the practice jump (180 foot?), and the record attempt (240 foot?). Both "take offs" appear (tradjectory wise) to be pretty similar - despite the (I assume) higher velocity of the second (record) attempt. To my eye the record attempt jump starts to go wrong as the UTV starts to loose velocity the further through it's flightpath it gets (at about the 180-190 foot mark maybe?) and then starts to drop ass end outta the sky (where the engine and drivetrain are). Maybe the "balance" of these ain't quite right for sustained distance/airtime...?

I dunno how much "engine/rev correction" these UTV's with their CVT type transmissions can achieve (unlike on a motocross bike). To a certain extent ... I think it might be like Motobene posted: the ability to alter the pitch by controlling throttle/rev's seems minimal... and whatever speed is at takeoff, combined with the shape of the ramp - pretty much sets the destiny of what the outcome will be from the launch...?

Maybe a bit like jumping a golf cart... you're just a passenger once you have committed?

I hope for a positive outcome for Phil and his family... wishing for the best possible recovery from what was a horrendous stack!!!!
    motobene and slicktop like this.
  5. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
  6. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
  7. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Brave dude to put that out there every day. :bow
    ZippyGasGas and Norman Foley like this.
  8. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
  9. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
  10. slicktop

slicktop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see all the support during his time in the hospital. It is easy to get discouraged and feel sorry for yourself in such circumstances as I well know. He'll be alright.
    ZippyGasGas likes this.
  11. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Poco a poco, Phil. :thumb

This has to be hard on Pat heading into the rest of the Nationals.

Way back when I was racing MX, my good friend and teammate got pretty messed up in the head from a bad crash and that played on me something fierce for a long time. I couldn't ride at a decent race pace for about a year just thinking about it.
  12. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
    Norman Foley and Buschog like this.
  13. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
    wfv56, Buschog, Brewtus and 1 other person like this.
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the updates Zip! I generally don't do much Instagram so this is good to see.
    He is farther along than I would have guessed from the initial reports and his own posting.
  15. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. slicktop

slicktop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TV is advertising Pastrana pulling a Evil stunt .
    One where Evil broke a lot of bones.
    God bless what Evil represented, He was the daredevil that dared the devil.
  17. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
    I noticed the thread was started, and there is a good chance that not everyone that is interested in his progress will have accounts with Facebook, twitter and Instagram.
    So I figured I would be a nice guy and post the links here. Kind of a one stop shopping type of thing.

I agree that he has progressed quite quickly
    Huzband, Kiharaikido, Gordy and 2 others like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pastrana has been trying to be a modern version for more than a decade. His stunts are usually cool, but he can never replace E.K. It was a different time. People nowadays have too short of an attention span.
  19. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
  20. ZippyGasGas

Oddometer:
    Day 11 and the importance of oral hygeine
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjqd4KFnUIx/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1wm41d2op2xbe

He is really showing great recovery, but with his updates he also is showing the struggles that someone with these types of injuries go through.

Phil may have received his injuries through a decision to try something that many consider dangerous, but his type of injuries are not unique to just "extreme sports" athletes. "Everyday people" get these injuries too, that may be caused by other people. Car accidents, work place accidents, etc.. Phil's updates show what they all go through, and may also give us a little bit more perspective for others in those situations. And may be able to provide inspiration for others that are recovering from these types of injuries.
    Norman Foley, Champe, fprintf and 2 others like this.