1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. pinay_ako

pinay_ako Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Summer Capital of the Philippines.... Baguio City
    [​IMG]

A little walk around Camp John Hay before the ride...
    [​IMG]

Here i come!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

it seems easy...
    [​IMG]

til we got here...
    [​IMG]

3 minor spills on rocks and mud while on 2 wheels...
    trekked for 7 hours before getting here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2nd Highest Peak in the Philippines.... Mt. Pulag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. emulzhn

emulzhn free from crutches

Oddometer:
    keep it coming....
    man I miss the PI....

but will be headin in Jan2010...

now if only I can think of a way to ditch the wife to go ridin....
  3. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Great going guys and girls !!
    Show us some more shots. Worthy front page material here :lurk
  4. pinay_ako

pinay_ako Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OFF to SAGADA
    paved portion

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

streetbike bike goes off-road again
    [​IMG]

before entering the cave
    [​IMG]

inside SUMAGUING CAVE in Sagada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

is it yours?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hanging coffins
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

my 2nd time here
    [​IMG]
  5. Hercules

Hercules "Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer:
    Some pix heading the Baler, Aurora....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Hercules

Oddometer:
    and more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Hercules

Oddometer:
    And the beach of Baler in the province of Aurora.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Fustercluck

Fustercluck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Asheville, NC/ Muntinlupa City, Philippines
    Very cool Herc, thanks for posting! I am flying out for there this Saturday, hope to see you.
  9. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    Adventure riding in the Philippines
    [​IMG]
    Window shopping in the Phillipines
    [​IMG]
    Sunset in the Philippines
    [​IMG]
    COOL riding in the Philippines
    [​IMG]
  10. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    one would think after the first guy got stuck, the rest would learn? NOT!
    [​IMG]
  11. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    Shoei, n falls
    [​IMG]
    What to do on a ferry ride
    [​IMG]
  12. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    what did the trike drive think? click on the photo to see video.
    [​IMG]
  13. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
  14. Marshallblank

Marshallblank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4 thumbs up for u bro! hard to imagine how to get those horse out of this muddy pool.. :norton
  15. union7

union7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So,

I am american half Philipino half Brit, but aghast I don't speak any Phillipino ata all.

I've been to Panay several times.

I live in Colorado and we do adventure riding alot and some of us compete.
    Now I am thinking of taking 3 of us Yankees to Panay to ride from Ilo Ilo to SARA to Estancia then to Boracay and...back eventually.

I still have relatives and places to stay on the island BUT the questions is if I cannot get my cousin or some other local to ride (travel) with us, is it SAFE?
    Wow I can't believe I am asking this since it is a relative term. There is always danger and you take your chances, but I guess what I need to know is just flat out foolish? Not worried about the riding, my cousins say we should be worried about the few bad people. I've been there many times but always with other locals and not solo with a bunch of yankees on bikes.
    I've been to the cities and the jungle and never had a problem...but I was not solo.

I've heard of and see the results off nasty things there, but never had a problem myself.

So whaddya think, it would be the ride of a lifetime for us.....I wish I spoke ilongo or tagalog. Salamat?!
  16. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Union7,

I'm Pinoy through and through, and I live in Iloilo City.

The ride you describe is the eastern leg of the "Round Panay" trip that our small group (3-5 riders) does some weekends, with overnight stops at Boracay, Kalibo, Roxas City or wherever. The western leg would be through the province of Antique on the way back to Iloilo City. You can circumnavigate the island (550 kms more or less) clockwise or counterclockwise, and do so in a day if you wish (but why rush?).

I can say that riding around Panay is generally SAFE. You wouldn't be announcing your trips, so people may not even notice you as you buzz through towns. And if they do, they won't know you're "yankees" with your helmets on.

Having said that, whenever we ride and stop to rest or ask directions, people approach and accomodate us smiling (read: very friendly). They even speak to us in English (therefore no language barrier for you) until we remove our helmets or answer in the local dialect. Rightly or wrongly, they assume that only foreigners would ride around in big bikes and in ATGATT. But rest assured we only get very good treatment from townsfolks, whether they realize we're locals ourselves or "yankees". Oh, in our small group, there is a Dutch and and a Canadian who have ridden on their own several times, and have never had safety issues. We DO avoid riding after dark....

So, yes, you can have great rides out here in Panay, and even in the neighborings islands like Negros and Cebu. Heck, you can ride all over the country (except, perhaps, some ares in Mindanao) and have no problems.

Mabuhay!
  17. union7

union7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha! Thankyou so much.

Your thoughts on safety are what my experiences have been. Now that i have "covered my ass" on the safety issues, I think the trip is a go.

My best memories are from the phillipines I can't wait to do it by bike!

Maybe we will even be able to meet you in Ilo Ilo!

My Dad grew in in the small Mountain town SARA, have you heard of it, I have been there a few times and even went into the hills where my grandma took all the kids to camps for a year to hide from the Japanese when they occupied the town. My Dad has many stories from the war.

After they were liberated by the U.S the local blacksmith beheaded the Japanese soldiers who hassled them all those years. But there are no hard feelings now, we even used to visit Japan on some of those trips on the way back to the states.

The Phillipines is definitley corrupt in some ways, but that is also why it has escaped complete "1st world-ization/Americanization" and stilll has a charm & freedom about it that can't be found in the U.S . Any country that is very organized always looses and intangible soemething in exchange.

Thanks so much for the ADVise, I have been esking everyone I can to get "a feel". THIS trip is ON!!!!
  18. Hercules

Oddometer:

Let me know of your tentative schedule and let me see how I can help out.
    I am sure there are other Filipino riders who can contibute in your plans.

My email is gatzboy1@yahoo.com

:D
  19. oli-oli

oli-oli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sara is about 60-odd kms from Iloilo city, and some sundays we do breakfast rides to that little town. The main road from Iloilo city to Sara does wind though some hills but I personally haven't been INTO those hills.

Perhaps there are some Japanese stragglers up there and it would be great to meet them and ask them THEIR version of WWII. Ask your relatives about "nice people around" in the area. They're not too bad. I would keep a safe distance from military installations or camps though. All in all, you'll enjoy riding around Panay.

PM me if you wanna meet up when you do get here. And I'm sure Hercules can give you loads of help too.

Cheers!
  20. Artlocks

Artlocks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a delima. I have 3 weeks of vacation in December that I have to use and I don't want to spend it at home (USA). One of places I was thinking of riding is in the phils. I envision renting a motorcycle and doing some minimalist (cheap) touring. A 200-250cc bike would be fine.

My questions are:
    1) Do I need an international drivers license w/endorsement to rent and ride
    a motorcycle there or is my USA license adequate?
    2) I would like to know which islands this would be practical on (i.e. available rentals). Would Palawan be out of the question?
    3) I have never been north of Manila. Is the Manila area and Luzon to the north recovered from the typhoons? Would it affect riding?
    4) I have always felt relatively safe in the phils. Did I have a false sense of security or are there things I should be worried about?

My motorcycle touring experience is zero so this will be a learning experience. I appreciate any advice. If I don't do the phils this year I think I will do it soon.

ps. I would like to do a scuba dive too since I have never dived in the pacific.

Salamat

Steve