1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    @PlznMySoul, I can tour you if our schedule permits and you can ride my Yammy XTZ for free :evil

PM me your plans and I'll check if it works out.
  2. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have a photo of this sticker? Although unlikely to be checked I would still rather not chance having something like that slow down my travels or lighten my wallet. I have tentative plans for another visit next month and would like to find a sticker. I mean this is the Philippines where anything can be obtained for a cost. Any idea of the price?

raj914 do you ride pavement only? I'm going back and forth undecided whether to rent a dual sport for dirt roads or a street bike and do pavement only. My current plans have me visiting mid Feb and I will be renting a bike for 5-7 days of my stay.

_
  3. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:

I only have 1 dirt bike and 2 scooters at the moment. I love riding dirt when I can but I don't mind riding the pavement specially when touring an Inmate. Keep in mind that my bikes are sub 400 not allowed on freeways.
  4. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    Aah when you said XTZ I thought you had a Super Tenere XT1200Z
    Is your dirt bike road legal?

The sub 400 is part of my decision making as well. CRF250L for dirt road fun up north and not freeway capable or Versys 650 paying double the rental cost, stay off the rougher dirt roads and turn around back to pavement if conditions get muddy. Versys will allow me to venture back to the city easier though to visit family and friends in Cavite. But I can rent in the middle of my stay and visit before and after riding.

Either way I will be bringing full gear with me so still interested in the ICC sticker. Even riding street I always wear full gear; Adventure boots, knee/shin guards, helmet, gloves, CE armored jacket and pants, etc. Heat and humidity not a concern as I'm acclimated already living in southern/coastal Texas.

_
  5. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    [​IMG]

That's the sticker on my beaten up old Shoei.

Given out gratis at DTI at the time if your helmet was on the approved list.
    IIRC the program has been discontinued.

Sent from my X330 using Tapatalk
  6. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    I think you're probably right. I Googled it and couldn't find any updates or mention of it since 2012.

_
  7. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I wish I had S10. If you are looking for a fun dirt road on a crf, pm @rgon he can help with you that. Goodluck and have fun. Do post pics on here. :deal
  8. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @raj914 thank you very much for the offer however, I'm on the tail end of my visit.

I posted those pics for @scrappyscooter inquiring about gear rental, etc. just to give comparison cost for a new helmet.

Not sure who makes it but it looks like it's suited for a nice adventure....

image.jpg
    raj914 likes this.
  9. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    I've already been in contact with rgon. He's not available next month for a ride but he shared his gpx route with me. I also joined his Matadores group so will be posting there once I lock in my dates next week. Maybe another will want to ride along for a few days.

_
  10. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    China made 250cc, have been sold for a few years now in Asia with good reviews. Worldwide sold under different brand names. Just became available in the US last year as CSC (California Scooter Company) .

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/ZRX3-O-p/zrx3-o.htm

[​IMG]
    PlznMySoul likes this.
  11. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:

Too bad rgon is booked.

That is the Zongshen RX-3 sold here at php120,000 - php130,00, Motorstar is the exclusive distributor here.Not Fuel Injected though but really looks good. Performance? Not really sure.
  12. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    I had what's probably the 200cc version of the same motor in the MSX200II, and it worked really well for most Philippines riding. Quite grunty for a 200.

Philippines has some great riding, where I enjoy riding even the RX-3 can be overkill.

Seeing a Porter wheeling the bike down a 3/4 meter wide gangplank, or watching them strap it to the railings on a banka (no protection required) and then seeing waves break over the bike while underway.. No R12GS would endure that without damage.
    And, wrestling a bigger bike through river crossings or over miles of muddy or rocky roads / trails isn't my cup of tea.

Bigger bikes work fine in parts of Luzon and where you are following path more traveled, but are overkill in much of the rest of the country.

In much of the Visayas and Mindanao, you really don't want to to be doing much more than 100 kph. Most drivers expect motorcycles to be traveling under 80 km/h, and drive accordingly.

Sent from my X330 using Tapatalk
  13. scrappyscooter

scrappyscooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those are pretty cheap helmets @$25-$53, I wonder how they compare to my Nolan N-104 helmet? I will be there from Jan 22 -Feb 5 in the Dagupan city to care some family business. Thanks for the heads up helmets and motorcycle rentals.
  14. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you.

Here is a good review about the RX-3, though the one that made it here is carb type and not FI.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13440
  15. carloscyclecare

carloscyclecare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been a while. Anyway, sharing a few shots taken during our Cannonball 2016 run. BOSS Ironman Challenge and Motorally 2016 are the endurance events that will convey this February and March.
    Cheers!
    raj914 likes this.
  16. carloscyclecare

carloscyclecare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sharing our travels through Banaue and Sagada late 2015. Late upload. Read through the notes for tips on riding to such destinations.
    vanveen and raj914 like this.
  17. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    A place called Adams. Approx 600kms north of Manila. Access road to Adams, 13kms from the Maharlika Hwy, is a combo of pavement and dirt. Weather is cool. Food is affordable.
    Let me share some of the photos i took.

Pagudpud-Adams road at 0600hrs.

[​IMG]

Ilyn's Homey Place in Adams.

[​IMG]

Crystal clear river before entering the town center.
    [​IMG]

Adams-Tanglagan road, alaternate road to Calanasan, Apayao. (unfinished business)
    .[​IMG]

Spotted this hut...

[​IMG]
    mountaineer, raj914 and remzamora like this.
  18. 5T500

5T500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very nice...I hope to follow your ride/route in the future.
  19. 250txc

250txc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are giving out some useful info ... The northern luzon stuff looks and sounds alot like Cebu ...

One question:

Is the road from Leon to San Remigio over on Iloilo open yet?
    raj914 and rgon like this.
  20. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    Please do drop by my garage in Baguio City.I am willing to share a hard copy of Northern Luzon map.
    cheers!

Somewhere in Ilocos Sur heading to Abra -a road less traveled.

[​IMG]