Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    My family has a farm in Cayaan Outside the City of Cebu, can you recommend a place to rent Honda CRF 250. Also can you suggest good areas to ride trails and mountain roads.
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    CCC.....nice vids.

love to ride those beautiful areas....possibly next year.
    pjh66 likes this.
  3. pjh66

pjh66 lost in the sauce Supporter

Oddometer:
    Family and I are inbound to Manila on June 18th
    NSFW likes this.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    hook up with the local riders and wish you all a great time.
    pjh66 likes this.
  5. lucerong

lucerong n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, I'm with a group of locals doing enduro trail/woods riding in the hinterlands of Central Cebu. Our group does two technical trails a week, one on Sunday and the other either Tuesday, Wed, or Thu. Sundays are for guys who work, while Weekday schedule is for retirees or businessmen. Chosen rides are 150 to 250 CC/ 2 or 4 strokes bikes. For safety, proper enduro woods riding gear is a must. If you have the guts and will to try technical trail riding, then drop me a message on my cellphone 09195677461 and I'll give you our trail schedule and meetup point in Tlamban Cebu.
  6. lucerong

lucerong n00b

Oddometer:
    Group photo on yesterdays ride 3 Oct 2018 courtesy of my mate Blueboy Borres. I'm on an old Yellow Yamaha DT175. trail 3 oct 18.jpg
    250txc, Watercat, NSFW and 1 other person like this.
  7. veetwo _tls

veetwo _tls RENOVATIO:

Oddometer:
    Sounds & looks great Po
    been wanting too do a ride when over there
    next time i'm over to see inlaws at Carmen Bohol I'll try hook up for a ride :)

WOW that DT immaculate for its age , my first new road registerable bike was the red DT2501F

Cheers: Brett
  8. lucerong

lucerong n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that DT is great, its one of the chosen rides of us old folks due to light weight and low seat height. Easy to maintain and surprisingly parts are still available here.
    Safe Ride, Nelson
  9. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a flat on my way from Cebu to Dumaguete. Limped into the next town, some kids led me to this vulcanizing shop. A new tube was nowhere to be found. Although I had ripped off the valve stem he tried to fix the tube for 3 hours or so.

After the fourth time of inflating and realizing it didn't work we decided to give up. I took the bus home and returned the next day with a new tube :)

Lesson learnt: I don't leave town anymore without a pump and spare tubes for front and rear.

Attached Files:

Watercat and NSFW like this.
  10. LoloPD

LoloPD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure where to post this so here goes.......

Are there ANY GPS navigators available which have maps of Philippines available. Almost every one I see has North America or Europe maps pre-loaded with all sorts of traffic information which is basically completely useless in Philippines. Some of them won't even ship to Philippines!
    So....what are the options for us here?
    I'm not really interested in mobile phone apps with this enquiry. I already use SCENIC, but I'm looking for something that out European and USA friends take for granted!

Magellan don't even list Philippine maps.....Garmin have a few city maps but nothing about out-of-town and also nothing in Palawan where I live.
    NSFW likes this.
  11. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you might just have to go to google maps , hit satelite image , zoom in to make your own tracks. thats the way much of this adventure maps started. that s about all I can see.
  12. LoloPD

LoloPD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeh I create routes at the moment on google map and the scenic app allows you to input them. The app itself is ‘functional’ but doesn’t have any ‘bells and whistles’. Doesn’t even show any difference between land and the sea..... just the road!
    I used Nokia maps almost 10 years ago on my Nokia phone and it was excellent....constantly updating your route if you were diverted. And it was completely FREE. We seem to have gone backwards now!
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Hello there.

Where’s a good place in Metro Manila to buy a CRF250 Rally?

Thinking of February 2020.
  14. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i dont know if it has the "bells and whistles" that your looking for, and no, i havent used it for philippines (yet) but i have used OSM to create maps which i viewed on my montana while exploring the back roads in russia, mongolia, and central asia.

i just had a look at the osm website, and a complete map of philippines came in at 183mb.

Colebatch created a brilliant write up on the hubb, on how to create and use your maps, here is the link.

hope this helps
    LoloPD likes this.
  15. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://ph.priceprice.com/

i often use this web page to assist in my cross searching
    NSFW and veetwo _tls like this.
  16. Andiflip

Andiflip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Road Guide Philippines, you can download for free on to Garmin only..
  17. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been using OsmAnd all this month in Pinas and flawless so far. Last week Halsema highway south of Baguio was closed so had to detour. My nephew (Pinoy) was using both a gps, cell with Google maps and stopped at least twice asking locals but couldn't find his way out. I opened OsmAnd, gave him turn by turn directions and had us Marcos highway heading south in 10 minutes.
    78er likes this.
  18. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    There are several map sources: Google (obviously), Roadguide Philippines, which is a community-generated map, and OpenStrettMaps, which are worldwide open source maps generated from multiple inputs as well as users. If you are going to be riding remote areas or trails I would suggest looking at all 3 as their coverage varies from place to place.
    For 3rd world and remote riding generally, OpenStrettMaps is usually the best source.

I have used Roadguide Philippines in the past, download to Garmin. Although I see they also have a smartphone forum, so maybe they have an option for that now. To get the most up-to-date maps, you used to have to be a recognized contributor. I am not sure if they have changed that policy.

You can download OpenStreetMaps to your Garmin device, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download#Asia and http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/. I have used this on my Garmin in preference to Roadguide Philippines in recent years, as it seems to have the best coverage. For a cellphone, you can use OSMAnd, which will let you download the entire Philippines map as well as Wikipedia geodata for the locations.
    There are no barriers or costs in getting access to OpenStreetmaps, and it's also very easy to sign up and become a contributor. OSMAnd is free for 10 downloads.

Then you have Google. Google is great in areas where Google can see a financial benefit in generating maps, not so much in third world or out-of-the-way places.

It looks like you can also buy or 'download' Garmin and TomTom maps for the Philippines. Likely the coverage is better in major cities than more remote areas.
  19. 250txc

250txc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry to read your words here but flat fixing, including repairing a ripped valve stem, is a common and everyday occurrence here. First clue you gave was it took 3 hrs? This is a 30 minute job on a slow day... Had this work did here a couple dozen times with no real issues... You were at the wrong place my friend...

You might wanna check for rim locks on any bike you rent here AND if someone says it will take 3 hrs for this work or even hesitant to do this work, just go somewhere else... Also, the nut on valve stem should be left loose so that in case the rimlock does allow tire slippage, the stem can wiggle just a little so maybe save it from ripping...

Carrying all that extra weight for tubes is ok, but normally not necessary
  20. 250txc

250txc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    Great to see some of the trail riders of Cebu online here and Yep, these guys are real trail riders!