Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. 78er

78er Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know, maybe he was that bad at his job but in those couple hours he attempted four or so times to fix it, the patch never held the air. I just credit him for not giving up despite it getting dark and late. They also kept my bike safe until I came back next morning...

Part of the problem might also have been that the tube itself was way too small for the tire (thanks, Drei Bikes in Cebu City who mounted a 120/90 tire with a 90/90 or so tube - first and last time I have been there).

Carrying tubes has the added advantage that I don't have to go on a search for a vulcanizer in the first place, I can just go about fixing it where I am. Already paid off few weeks ago when I caught a big nail that left a 5cm cut in the rear tube in the middle of nowhere.

And its my bike, not a rental :) rim locks are there and will go in next time I change tires.
  2. 250txc

250txc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    That is deep-sea fishing, but to promote these guys can't fix something as simple as your issue, is way off base... This is 3rd world here... Nothing much is tossed here, nothing much is purchased here new except for obvious reasons... Of course, foreigners do not fit into the scheme of things totally, because all most know is 1st world and buy new as needed...

One more time and ESP for other foreigners to understand who might have the same issue some day... This is a simple job here for a vulcanizing place... Any thing like being described about by 78er about HRS to do this simple work is out of line. Anything along his lines and you are going down a rat hole...Best to move on down the road about this time.

The issue that does come up before the bead is popped on your bike is the size of it... Many might balk at working on a 'big bike' like that honda but if the guy takes the job, he is ok with the tire size and the vulcanizing should be the easy part... The electric heating iron seem like they may not heat enough or something.
  3. 78er

Oddometer:
    Whatever the reason, my takeaway from that incident was that I will take care of future flats on my own if possible. And since I'm not into fixing tubes on the side of the road, I'll carry spares (which, by the way, are not that easy to find in these sizes) No biggie to me. For the worst case I also carry a tube repair kit under the seat. For going really light weight, I can still just carry a front spare that will do in the rear until I'm home.

Being prepared like this also saves me from having to ride / push / walk with the flat tire until I find a (capable, who knows how to tell that anyway?) vulcanizer. I can simply swap tubes at the place where the flat happened and continue my ride. Big convenience in my opinion.
  4. 250txc

Oddometer:
    That is ok and thanks for the ~easy way out but after a decade here, I'll stick with my decades-old way :) ... Did you install the rim locks you have been carrying in your pocket? Why bother really, you have new tubes in your pocket?

Many of the local riders have a helper on the trail... A guy like you might wanna carry some help also along a ride...
  5. 78er

Oddometer:
    Man I really don't know what's your problem but I'll stop discussing this with you now.
  6. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Sure and it was certainly not my intention to cause so much pain... But flat fixing by the locals here is conducted maybe thousands of times per day, correctly, on these islands... It is simple, it is common, it is their way of life here and maybe not really worthy of the term discussion... Please, keep your bike rolling on inflated tires as you please but when in Rome, it really might be ok to do as the Romans... Maybe even listen to them?

There is some sort of sponge-stuff (mousse?) dirt bike riders put in their tires instead of inner tubes & air... If flats are too big an issue, this might be a solution for you or others also... Flat proof stuff is also sold here for inner tubes also but not sure where... Most of this stuff is out of my price range but probably works well...

Another point of the finer flat fixing capabilities here is, if that inner liner around the inside of the rim that protects the tube from the spokes, goes bad, these guys can fix that easily also by cutting an old inner tube into the correct size and securing it around the rim... This is a ~15 minute job and can be performed at a reasonably price...

Cost for all this is pretty much as you please but up until inflation has hit here, fixing a flat was 20P per hole, for small bike, and maybe slightly more for big bikes... Now, with inflation or whatever the word is, maybe 40P per hole here on Cebu...

40P is ~80 cents USD at todays exchange rate? Depending on how the tube is exposed on my big bikes, I'll always pay more...

Once here, out in the real boonies, a vulcanizer guy actually broke out needle and thread and sewed a huge rip in my inner tube together, THEN he vulcanized it a few times and his work lasted and lasted and I finally changed it out after a few months...

After I saw the cost of this work and the need for this job to exist here for the livelihood of many, the decision was made just about a decade ago to support the locals here by giving this work to them all across these islands and ESP the areas I live and ride at.. ~Never was very good at swapping tires and ~never ever tried to patch a tube when I lived in the states... Always brought a new tube and tossed the old one... Nothing wrong with that, but I'm a Filipino, to some degree, now, and nothing wrong with that either..
  7. 250txc

Oddometer:
    The Providence riding of Cebu pic series

My Italian made, 2012 TC250 Husqvarna dirt bike sitting at a new dam just being constructed close to where I live
    20190630_134844.jpg
  8. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Providence of Cebu pic series

My 2008, Italian made WR250 2t Husqvarna dirt bike sitting on a new road just pushed through here in the mountains
    20190609_121601.jpg
    Watercat likes this.
  9. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Providence of Cebu dirt bike riding pics

2008 WR250 Husky dirt bike pictured here

This is one steep, ~full of traction, mountain road climb; I'll say a 125cc ~killer and the FIM riders of Europe don't have it this good on many of their tracks
    20190609_121849.jpg

My Husky parked in the valley below at this small creek that is used as a road here for the local population
    20190609_123834.jpg

My Husky parked at the top of this ridge line with several locals climbing the trees to get some free-berries
    20190609_130058.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd and Watercat like this.
  10. 250txc

Oddometer:
    LOL! ,,Any scooter riders out there? Stop viewing now!

Joe sings and probably wrote all the lyrics and music here,,

--
    Any gal riders?? What Janis did in her day, can't be touched today

11. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Another new road pushed here, meaning it was path, a walking path till now..Plans for these roads are well over ~25yrs old.

These places probably have names but I'm just not with the local dialog, so I name things from my past life in the USA; I call this new road pushed across this ~4 mile long ridgeline, Razorback Ridge in some homage to late\great Mr. Frank Broyles and the Arkansas Razorback sports program, who if nothing else, did exhibit well-above average integrity and morals in their sporting programs during the times Mr. Broyles was at the helm. He set a standard in college athletics that most colleges can not even sniff.

Absolutely no fan of face book but this short film sums up Mr. Broyles in a very good light.
    https://www.facebook.com/ArkansasRa...ank-broyles-arkansas-legend/2119033528311579/

2008 WR250 Husqvarna dirt bike, Italian made on display here!

These pics are towards the bottom of the ridge on the western end of Razorback Ridge... The locals GREATLY need these roads!
    20150111_101446.jpg

She's a bad Mama Jama, to say the least
    20150111_101536.jpg
    Hate to do this and it is not what I was listening to as a teenager, BUT, for all you young ones out (under age ~50) there, this music pre-dates rap, ganster-rap and all the BS that followed to our current point in time

--

20150111_101831.jpg
    20150111_102107.jpg

DOT legal?
    20150111_102149.jpg

You can sort of see how limp the vegetation looks in the background from lack of rain
    20150111_102542.jpg

This riders feet are not off the pegs because he rides that way
    20150111_102703.jpg

I know the driver of this dozer very well, we meet often out here, in fact I follow his tracks and hunt him down from time to time
    20150111_102835.jpg

This is like day 1 of this new road about 3 months back, before any rain has come and it is super dry and loose
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  12. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Here's another small section of a road that is going to get widened and get some cement poured on it

My Italian built, 2008 WR250 2T, Husqvarna dirt bike
    20150120_093710.jpg 20150120_093949.jpg

Some of the equipment used here, again, this type work is greatly needed here
    20150120_094318.jpg 20150120_094338.jpg
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  13. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Nothing brilliant on this reply,,,

Just a small example of making little ones from bigens' .. my 012 Efi TC250, Italian made HuskyWR250 displayed here
    20190802_123104.jpg

14. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    Good Day to all, I've recently moved to Metro Manila (Taguig from Australia) and I'm currently looking at buying a new Honda CRF 250 Rally as a cheap bike to look around and do some touring on. I would like to store it in Dumageute and fly in once every 4 to 6 weeks (with my wife) to access the few islands in that area. Anybody know where I can get secure storage not too far from the airport? It would probably be needed for 6 to 12 months. looking forward to reading this thread and maybe catching up with a few of you for a San Miguel.

Cheers

David
  15. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Honda CRF 250 Rally as a cheap bike to look around and do some touring on. I would like to store it in Dumageute and fly in once every 4 to 6 weeks (with my wife) [/QUOTE]

David, There are quite a few riders based in Dumaguete here - but not sure if anyone has a secure lockup garage (which is what you will need), and if they do... I suspect some $$$ will be required.

If your wife is from the Dumaguete area then storing the bike with family will be the easiest (and hopefully less complex) solution.

You will also need to think about taking your biking gear, helmets, to/from Manila. If you leave them in a locker for 5 weeks - they will be green with mold then next time you come to use them. Unless your storage has A/C (please stop laughing now).

Good luck - it sounds like a great adventure coming up.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  16. AdventureDave

Oddometer:
    David, There are quite a few riders based in Dumaguete here - but not sure if anyone has a secure lockup garage (which is what you will need), and if they do... I suspect some $$$ will be required.

If your wife is from the Dumaguete area then storing the bike with family will be the easiest (and hopefully less complex) solution.

You will also need to think about taking your biking gear, helmets, to/from Manila. If you leave them in a locker for 5 weeks - they will be green with mold then next time you come to use them. Unless your storage has A/C (please stop laughing now).

Good luck - it sounds like a great adventure coming up.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the reply. My wife is from Turkey so not much help there. I've a few friends in Siquijor but I'm looking at Dumaguete because of the ready flight and port access. I'll keep you informed as I an going to the fiesta on Siquijor on the 13th and 14th October. I hope too have it all sorted by then and be on a new bike.
    Cheers
    David
  17. deepstar

deepstar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    David, my wife will not set foot on the island of Siquijor !!!
    Noted regarding Dumaguete's airport/port. But why not keep the bike in Manila - and explore Luzon, and then take the Ro-Ro when you want. If you are up early (0400) Manila week-end traffic is ok - but a 250 is not allowed on the expressways.... just FYI.
  18. AdventureDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I am aware of the 400cc limit on the express way. I'm working back from Negro's rather than out from Luzon, I can't give a really good explanation why, haha. I have access too a company car and driver so Luzon day and weekend tours are easier to organise ATM. I think stepping into a plane and hitting a different Island is part of the allure. I'll see how I go.

All opinions welcomed do keep it coming I'm new to this region.

Cheers
    David
  19. AdventureDave

Oddometer:
    Is it because of the ghosts and witches? Haha you won't change that!
    78er likes this.
  20. 78er

Oddometer:

Hi David,

I'm in Dumaguete and happen to have a Rally as well. I live in a rented apartment so cannot help with the storage unfortunately but I'm always up for going on a ride :D

one piece of advice regarding the bike - If you are planning to do 2up trips with any sort of luggage, you really should upgrade the rear shock. YSS is a good option and relatively cheap to ship from thailand via bikerzbits. I could help you out with tools and a place to work on the bike if necessary.

Cheers,
    Jens
    AdventureDave likes this.