Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    my 2020 vacation started with a visit to Malabon Metro Manila, my hometown. stayed with my nephew and saw relatives and old friends. memorable times revisited.

at arrival
    [​IMG]

the catholic church right across from our place. church bell rung early every morning, nice to be reminded it's time to attend mass...haha.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

inside
    [​IMG]

the traffic in the metro area could be worse, and the best way to get around is on 2-wheels. my nephew and i searched the classified ads and didn't have any luck.

while searching for a bike, to get around i take public transportations. it's cheap and available most of the time.

one way to get around
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tricycles are in abundance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one time, i even took a small boat to get to the next town
    [​IMG]

i used to swim in this river like these kids
    [​IMG]
    Watercat and 250txc like this.
  2. NSFW

Oddometer:
    without my own wheels, i was stuck. my nephew offered me a ride in his scoot or suv but still i felt immobilized.

without luck in finding a used bike, i started to look for a new one, except this one is already sold. same results in a few places i went.
    [​IMG]

i like this custom but for display only and not practical for my need
    [​IMG]

after a week, my search paid off. found this brand new 2017 and it was at a discounted price, just a little more than a late model CRF250L.
    [​IMG]

and it comes with a set of funny eyes
    [​IMG]

finally the papers were signed and the bike is mine to take home....but i was told that i can't ride it legally until i receive the plate and registration....:pep
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the original plan is ride the bike and explore the southern islands. without the complete documentation, it will be difficult to get the bike on a commercial boat or ferry to get across the islands....:umph

anyway, it's not all lost, there are plenty of nice places to explore in Luzon.
    Watercat and 250txc like this.
  3. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good you knew this, many don't. Not all roro's ask for OR/CR but many do. Approx 35% do in my experience. Some roro's require Coast Guard clearance and the CG requires OR/CR.

Explore Luzon fully first, so many great roads there. Then start your roro travels and when time runs out find safe bike storage and fly back later to continue. If you book far enough in advance Cebu Pacific has super cheap fares to the Visayas.
    NSFW likes this.
  4. NSFW

Oddometer:
    thanks SB for your inputs. hope you and other adv riders in the PI could meet one day.

for now, Luzon would be my home base until i find another place south. have some free time in January-February to explore but not long enough to stay and exceed the 90-day visa restriction.

i have never been any further south of Batangas or north of Baguio so i'm really excited to see various places, not necessarily tourist attractions. happy just going to remote small towns and hanging with locals.
    Watercat likes this.
  5. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    Airlines cancelled my April tickets. Airlines cancelled my May tickets. Hoping my July tickets will stick but it's looking very doubtful. Miss na miss Pinas ko. I want to ride! Putang ina COVID-19
  6. 250txc

250txc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    You guys might or might not know this but you can ride from Luzon south, catch a RORO over to Samar Island at the southern tip of Luzon, ride cross the San Juanico Bridge on the west side of Samar and land just north of Tacloban City on the island of Leyte. From there go north and come back around to the Ormac area or go south and ride the ~entire island or take a turn west and end up on the opposite coast at a place called BayBay, then go north to Ormac for a nicer non-commercial-traffic port. Ormac is pretty cool and modern city.

Keep going north on the coast past Ormac and you hit Isabel town and a port at Pingag for commercial trucks ... OR\CR papers are not so important here, same as most other small ports I have traveled here. Not as nice a ride but will cost less and these might be running 24\7 when other ports might be closed. I have not been over to Isabel in a few yrs so there might be changes at this port. Asking at Ormac about this port availability is a good idea.

Anyway, from Ormac, Leyte, you land on Cebu, either just north of Danao City or the port area of Cebu City right at the SM Mall probably... From the island of Cebu, you have the larger islands of Bohol(via Cebu City port), Camotes(via Danao City port), Negros(via multiple ports on Cebu west port), Pinay(via Negros west side port), Masbate(via Cebu north port), all within RoRo travel. A few other smaller cool islands just off the coast of Cebu also.

Unless you have a hankering for Manila, Angeles, or Luzon in general, Cebu is lots more centrally located for experiencing these islands and not land-locked as Luzon can be unless you travel miles. Where else can you island hop so easily? Cebu also has a new international airport that is very easy to navigate to and from.

There are GPS files for these islands and I have seen an ~effort on Cebu during the last few yrs to put up some road signs so you might have signs for navigation or you may not see many signs on the roads here... In any event, just know the name of the town\BRGY you are hoping to find and ask anyone where it. It is always a good idea to ask a question in such a way so that a 'yes or no' answer can not be given to your question. Git it?
    100_0377_result.JPG

--
    Gonna say this once and once only... Luzon is a huge, huge area, I'm referring to the area north of Manila really and due east of there to the seaboard... There is no way the GOV is actually controlling all of that, unless the military is there. The military is used here as a show of force in areas of uncertainty. I am not saying you will not return if you ride up there and all over the place but you have no clue on who is doing what all around you as you roll past. Same as the very bottom large island of this island chain. Be prudent, get out of the mountains at night or at least have shelter at an establishment of some sort, and use your head. You'll have a great time riding the islands. Once you leave Luzon and land on Samar, as stated above, there are 6-7 larger islands centered there to ride and ~always a couple options for R0R0 travel between islands.
    AdventureDave and NSFW like this.
  7. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Here's this route talked about above, going south from Manila to Cebu, on this map ... I've rode this route but it was yrs ago and the roads were good but lots of traffic south of Manila, heading into the Bicol area. Gold line is the route along a known hiway and the green circle is islands surrounding Cebu. Might be part of a larger road system called the Pan-Philippines hiway system.

Ermita is sort of the ~new night-life spot in the Roxas BLVD\Mall of Asia\U.S. Embassy\national port area\International airport area of metro Manila. Roxas has lots of the government building there and ~safe. Ermita does not compare to Angeles but what area does?
    Luzon.png

Bikes can be shipped from Manila to Cebu and papers probably truly will be needed.
    AdventureDave, Watercat and NSFW like this.
  8. SilverBullet

Oddometer:
    I drove that route down to Sorsogon about 15 years ago. My memory similar to yours, just typical roads and traffic as found all over.

My long ride planned for July was kinda the reverse of your route. Negros>Siquijor>Bohol>Leyte>Samar>Bicol>Infanta. Arriving in Luzon I want to stay away from MM so riding around Laguna de Bay to Infanta. Then will ride to either Angeles or Baguio to store bike for next ride.

But all delayed due to virus ECQ's. Next trip will be only two roro's to Palawan. Chill and explore for a couple weeks.

Also careful about your OR/CR comment on the roro's in the out of the way places. My experience has been almost the opposite, the two smallest ports I've used needed it. From iloilo to Guimaras they required it. From Escalante, Negros to Tabuelan, Cebu you need Coast Guard clearance and the CG requires OR/CR. But none of the bigger ports have asked for it.
    NSFW likes this.
  9. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Let's backtrack just a little in an effort to help the foreigners who might be arriving here...

First, most locals here know the deal with papers on a bike. These papers (ownership+registration), will have numbers and a name and should apply to a specific vehicle. The name on these papers should be ~correct to some extent. The numbers on this paper? Might be a completely different story in this nation and that is ~ok. Yes, someone might read your paper and compare numbers off the paper to the vehicle, some may not read the papers, some may not look at the bike numbers, and all other possibilities are possible when anyone looks at your papers. In either event, do not get overly excited at the first moment any of these possible events happens anywhere here.

The point being, when you get a vehicle here, bring up the topic of traveling from island to island and roadside check-points that are legal here pretty much and can be anywhere on any road at any time pretty much. Check-points may want papers also or they may only want a DL or they may not flag you over. Motoring on through is AOK many times. The locals know all this well beyond the rest of us. Anyone you obtain a bike from should gladly respond to your requests about the bike and the papers on this bike that you are acquiring from them.

Little off topic here but 100% applies to Filipinos, in the event you get questioned by anyone of authority any where, ports or not, be cool. He's actually on your side most likely. Do Not Raise Your Voice Speaking Level or get excited. It's actually ok to be a little dumb in many circumstances, you are in a foreign land, correct? Just slowly work through the issue and allow the third party person to solve the problem for you if possible. Times like this is when a local person with you pays dividends. Foreigners here in general usually get cut alot of slack but not always.

--
    Legazpi City, along the route described above, has that huge volcano, MT Mayon, with some lahars there once allowed you to ride up 6 miles and even closer to it once. Not sure where I took this pic but most likely on Samar, looking north to the volcano.
    IMG_0800.JPG
    All that low-tide water had like ~10,000 small star fish living in it along with other small sea creatures...

100_0935.JPG

I think that wall is the 6 mile marker but can't quite remember now or read that small sign there...
    100_0962.JPG

Palawan looks awfully narrow, same as Cebu except for the wider, mountainous part of the island where I live... Do not hear alot about that island and nowhere the bad-guys could hide over there probably.

--
    Not sure on the virus saga... Since ~Feb the medical\scientific community has not said much new on the progress of containing or treating this disease. I have no clue on any of this but flying into Cebu might be possible before flying into Manila. Even then, this could be months away before hoop jumping will not be necessary. When a virus crosses over from animals to humans out of nowhere, then not initially contained as in the case today, history seems to show these pandemic events stay around and then just vanish for a ~century or so before returning in some form.
    AdventureDave, Watercat and NSFW like this.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Thanks 250txc for the replies and informative tips. I highly doubt doing a ride there this year, but I'm optimistic January 2021 will be my target.

Stay safe and hang in there. I''ve been spending most of my time at home, wrenching in the garage and keeping up with friends via internet.
    pjh66 likes this.
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    back in February, i visited several places to revive the forgotten memories

Ongpin - part of Chinatown
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we didn't know how bad is covid but the employees are prepared, except for that one smiling behind these guys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the street name is familiar
    [​IMG]

we made to Caloocan City to buy inner tubes and some tools
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

crossing Pasig River on my way back to my B&B in Makati
    [​IMG]

the old Post Office Building
    [​IMG]

i don't remember
    [​IMG]

this one is easy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

?
    [​IMG]

nice to see some of the older buildings surviving
    [​IMG]

dinner
    [​IMG]

more coming
    Watercat likes this.
  12. NSFW

Oddometer:
    next day's lunch
    [​IMG]

rode about 20 miles to Ayala Alabang and i had a flat
    [​IMG]

didn't bring the tools nor a spare tube, i asked one of the locals riding a scooter to take my tire to a vulcanizing shop
    [​IMG]

i trust humanity and he came back with the tire. there were 2 pinched sections. this cost me less than $10. someone mentioned that it was too much. no worry.

i was hungry and treated the guys at the Total Gas Station
    [​IMG]

again i ate more on the way home
    [​IMG]
    Watercat and thebigman like this.
  13. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    Holy lines of fire Batman .

I've never seen so many wires at a intersection , no , that many wires anywhere
    in my life Batman .
    All the pics look great and delicious except the big feast plate at the bottom , that looks like possum turds to me .
    looking forward to more food pron .
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:
    i already forgot what day it was when we rode to Quezon. we parked next to a riding club
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the farther we rode from the city, less and less traffic
    [​IMG]

it rained hard and we were forced to stop, then eat at this restaurant. i asked for big trash bags to prevent us from getting cold
    [​IMG]

we bought raincoats once we made it to Infanta Quezon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

inside the market
    [​IMG]

fresh fish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i like veggies
    [​IMG]

nearby this bridge with a sinking foundation
    [​IMG]

this is the better bridge
    [​IMG]
    78er and Watercat like this.
  15. 250txc

Oddometer:
    This nation has riding clubs everywhere apparently.. There are several around me on Cebu, both road and trail. They are all really about nothing but having a good time and promote only good will in all the cases I know about. This place is 100% motorcycle friendly. Babies come home on day 1 on a bike quite possibility then grow up riding on them, going somewhere everyday of their lives. It's like growing up in an amusement park where the rides are free. Bandits like the states are full of, simply will ~not be allowed.
    102_3078.JPG
    Being an American in todays' world, it is hard for me to believe much, not that it is not true, but that slogan written here, is what this group believes and wants to promote ~100%.

102_3083.JPG 102_3093.JPG 102_3076.JPG

102_3095.JPG