Phoenix area...

Discussion in 'Trials' started by tomatoe333, Sep 16, 2020.

1. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking more and more likely that a relocation to the metro Phoenix area is in my future.

We'll be house-hunting when we get out there, and I'm curious as to what area(s) contain established trials riding areas. We can't be TOO far out of metro Phoenix, but we want to be far enough out to be able to have some land and not have neighbors that are bothered by internal combustion machines.

I've seen some references to Wildcat up in the Cave Creek area, but are there any other areas to be looking? My primary concern is being able to practice on a regular basis. I'm spoiled by that here. We also want a decent amount of workshop/garage space for all the toys and tools.

I know there are concerns with getting OHVs tagged/titled/registered in Arizona, and I'd be curious as to what the actual requirements are for that, in terms of a vehicle that will only ever be ridden as an OHV, never on-road.
  2. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a title or MSO getting the bike plated is no problem. Adding road endorsement after getting the OHV plate isn't a big deal either.
    Most of the fun stuff is in the North side of Phoenix. I know that is the opposite direction of where I live/work.
  3. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you actually need to attach the plate to the bike? Where do folks mount them?

I'm imagining one of my typical getoffs, and getting sliced by the edge of the plate in a sensitive place... :muutt:yikes

The enduro bike I have a title for. The Sherco, I _should_ be able to get the MSO. The vintage bike and the girlfriend's TTR, I'll probably have to do the bonded title thing.
  4. OR Trail

OR Trail looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer:
    Congrats - it's a great trials community and I sure miss riding with everyone down there. I didn't see many trials bikes with plates mounted. I put mine in a mesh pocket on my hydration backpack, and that was being conservative. For those that do mount them, under the fender works OK if the plate is bent to fit. Another rider used the front number plate.

There are some good third party title services that can walk you through the process and handle the paperwork. The local trials shop can refer you.

There are some great areas to ride, but it depends on how often you need to drive in to the metro area. Prescott too far? It's cooler up there.
    10K likes this.
  5. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
    Do you still have the Beta?
  6. OR Trail

Oddometer:
    Yep - on the Beta, still an awesome bike.

Good profile pic there - 10K advertising the rock playground up by Prescott!
  7. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front number plate seems like a good idea - not at all hard to mount it there.

I work from home these days, so I'm flexible with location. My girlfriend would be commuting regularly to just west of downtown (Estrella Village area). She is okay with an hour long commute, give or take. Prescott would be a little too far, and too long of a commute. But it sounds like a great place to load up and drive to for the weekend to ride.
  8. OR Trail

Oddometer:
    Traffic can vary a lot, especially in the winter if/when schools are in session and the snowbirds are back. 5 or 6 million people can really make for a tough commute. There are land parcels out there where you could set up some riding areas like Tolleson & Laveen, just be aware of what you are down wind from (summer compost fires, feed lots, industrial, etc). Other alternatives might be out towards Wickenburg up the 60 Hwy.
  9. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's official, the move is going to happen. Hoping to be out in the area sometime not too long after Thanksgiving. We were in the area a couple of weeks ago looking at houses, and I stopped into Dirt Riders West and spoke with Mike Carlton. So I at least have one contact in the area.

Current thought on house-hunting is the New River area, as it's reasonably close to the highway. We'll see how the house hunt goes when we resume it at the beginning of November.
    Norman Foley and 10K like this.
  10. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike is a great guy and has been around forever. The Saums, Ropers and him has been the main driving force of CAT through the years. I do know there were many others too. But their is alot of old trials blood especially with those two sisters thrown in.
    tomatoe333 likes this.
  11. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the house hunting - looks like some great terrain in that area.
    Be sure to post pictures of the backyards you are considering and we can all comment on how acceptable they might be :-) :-) !
    tomatoe333 likes this.
  12. factoryphil

factoryphil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you should be able to ride from your house in new river depending on where your house is in new river . wildcat has trials events there and isn't too far from new river . the off road community is Big in AZ , i live in prescott valley . AZ had a world round in Kingman a couple of years ago . if your the original owner of all the bikes that aren't titled it will not be a problem getting one , if not pm me as it can be a pain .
  13. Dirt First

Dirt First Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8179.JPG Oak Flats Campground is great for Trials, 1990 world round location and many CAT club events.
    tomatoe333 likes this.