Phoenix or Frankenstein: basket case R1100GS

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by gofargogo, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd probably sort the paperwork and title right away...I'd hate to get too far and find it was stolen.

I passed up a couple good deals on bikes recently just because I didn't want the title hassle.
  2. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    My current goal is to get the bike assembled enough to be a tripod so it’s not hanging in front of my dryer. To be honest, it’s my whole family’s goal because they are already tired of having to deal with a motorcycle carcass while doing the laundry.

So I need to attach the carcass to the new motor, attach the center stand, attach the front a-arm and forks, and bolt on the front wheel.

I soaked the center stand parts in vinegar for the last few days, gave them a really good scrub with hot water and dawn detergent, and applied two light coats of gloss black paint.

The center stand will need new prints in the bushings, but other than that, it appears to be in good shape.

The front forks are a mess. Blown seals, flat black paint overspray, and general corrosion everywhere. While the paint dries on the center stand assembly, I’m going to start dismantling, cleaning and prepping. I’ll probably paint the fork lowers gloss black, because that seems to be the easiest path forward and won’t clash too much with the truck bed liner on the other parts.
    Callisto224 and Krons like this.
  3. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1761.JPG
    lrgart, Callisto224 and Krons like this.
  4. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    In an effort to provide resources for those who come after me, and keep a good record of the process, here's my parts needed list so far:

• O-rings for the center stand bushings 1.8mm x 17mm, part #: 07119900500. There are 6 of them, and mine are all pretty torn up.
    • Stainless brake lines, spiegler or EBC or something.
    • Oil cooler line for the right side. 17 31 1 341 416 for the original '95 model, 17 22 2 325 526 for the ones that came later.
    • HES upgrade from GSAddict or via Dan Cata https://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1855593
    Front brake master cylinder rebuild kits and other parts:
    • 32 72 2 352 190 -cylinder & piston
    • 32 72 2 332 037 - rebuild kit
    • 32 72 2 310 756 - boot (not included in rebuild kit)
    • 07 11 9 963 072 (2) - crush washers for banjo bolt
    • 32 72 2 310 753 - Front brake lever pivot pin, mine was frozen in place and it took some mangling to get it out.

The brake m/c rebuild process is detailed here: http://largiader.com/tech/r11mc/
    Although I may need to get a new (ebay) one, as the piston seems to be totally stuck in mine, even compressed air hasn't made it budge.
    mikegc, Callisto224 and AdamChandler like this.
  5. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

mikegc, lrgart, Krons and 2 others like this.
  6. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    I did a VIN search and the bike isn’t stolen. From what I can tell, the California DMV won’t release the previous owner information via online methods, and the field offices are closed so that will be a problem for another day.

I spent my first money on this project. A pair of R1100R oil coolers with the correct hoses, and brackets from eBay for ~$50.

I also found a YouTube video of another scrambler project that gives me a goal to shoot towards. I particularly like the headlight brackets and the indicator lights on the bars. I need to see if my fabricator friend can make me a pair like these.

7. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Some progress and some setbacks. I managed to get the master cylinder piston free (thank you ez-out), and prepped the master cylinder for paint, but I did a bad job and got massive amounts of orange peel. So I’m stripping it again, and will do a better job degreasing it this time.

I pulled the fork tubes out and polished with them simichrome. Now I’m waiting on fork seals from eBay. I went with the KS16-1020 generic seals that mouthfulloflake mentioned in another thread. They are cheaper than the dealer seals, and should work the same.

I noticed the new motor doesn’t have the oil pipe in the alternator bolt area so I removed the old one and was going to swap it over. But I realized, upon closer inspection that the new motor doesn’t have the fittings for it! It turns out that the some 1100 engines have this pipe and some don’t. It’s know as the rotary breather pipe and I’m pleased the new motor doesn’t have one.

I also managed to throw out my back doing yard work so I’m only good for about 15 minutes of standing on concrete before I have to go lie down and stretch out my back.

IMG_1770.JPG
  8. Krons

Krons Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back pain sucks...hope you are doing better.

My back was bothering me after a 5 hr 250 mile ride today, hoping the long walk afterward helps mine out.
    gofargogo likes this.
  9. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    I’m not dead, nor is the project. I’m just waiting to hear back from my doctor if I have a hernia, so it’s slow going in the garage.

I did manage to get the old engine removed, and rebuilt the forks by polishing the stanchions, new seals and oil, and sanded and painted the lowers.

I also refinished the master cylinder, so now I’m waiting for the first batch of parts.

IMG_1786.JPG IMG_1785.JPG
    TimmyTheHog, Krons, NCJ and 4 others like this.
  10. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    patiently waiting
  11. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
  12. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Still on hold. But I finally got in to see the doctor, so hopefully I’ll be back at this project soon.
    TimmyTheHog and Krons like this.
  13. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    IMG_2359.JPG

Not dead. Not done. Just delayed. I spent 12 hours cleaning my garage yesterday in order to get back to this project which had gotten buried in other projects. It’s still quarantine, and this bike still needs to go together.
    Bowler, Pezz_gs and Krons like this.
  14. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    I’ve been debating a few different strategies on how to move forward. The meticulous ocd part of my brain wants to painstakingly restore each part before putting it together.

The majority of my brain says: get it built and see if it runs. Then restore it if it’s worth the time.

The reality is that these bikes are pretty undervalued on the used market and I could go buy a runner for $2500 and a stunner at $3500. Restoring every piece and part doesn’t make sense economically. BUT. Motorcycles are rarely about economics. It’s about the ride. About the time spent in the shop, about the experience.

I’m no bmw guru, but I know these bikes pretty well, and doing a full restoration would be fun it it’s way. However I am limited on my budget, and knowing that registering it (according to the dmv) is going to cost me about $900, gives me pause. It only makes sense to me, if I can put together a runner with a minimum of cash. I also don’t know if I have all the parts in the first place.

So I’ll clean and “restore” here and there, but the goal for now is something that runs and rides with a minimum of fuss.
    GotFog and Krons like this.
  15. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    1100s are pretty rare these days, and they have something that the later bikes don’t. They are machines that straddle that era of mechanical and electrical simplicity, while retaining the quality of life benefits of modernity with ABS and fuel injection.

Personally, they appeal because they were new and unobtainable by my younger self when I was fully living the moto life style, no car, three bikes, living in SF and working for Scuderia back when it was next door to Zeitgeist.

Bringing something back from that era appeals to me, even if it doesn’t make a ton of sense based on the used bike market.
    GotFog likes this.
  16. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    IMG_2360.JPG

Decided to build a build table from Jaglite’s excellent instructions.
    TimmyTheHog, Krons and dave0 like this.
  17. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Good thinking, a bench is just more civilized
    gofargogo likes this.
  18. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not only that, it's guaranteed space (sort of)
    gofargogo likes this.
  19. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    If I look like I’m serious about finishing the project, maybe I’ll be serious about finishing the project.
    JimVonBaden and Krons like this.
  20. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you do the front master cylinder level lens conversion or was it there already when in the boxes? I’d need to do something like that myself...

Awesome project! I think you should finish it no matter what!

Cheers!