Phoenix or Frankenstein: basket case R1100GS

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by gofargogo, Apr 13, 2020.

1. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Hey neppi. First of all, love your thread and glad you healed up. I didn't do anything to the master cylinder. It's just what was in the box with the bike. I just cleaned and painted it, without removing the lens.
    neppi likes this.
  2. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate!

Feels sweeter to ride that thing when you know you’ve sweated and bled a bit to make it happen!

Keep Up The Good Work!
    gofargogo and Krons like this.
  3. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    IMG_2361.JPG

I’m reacquainting myself with the issues of this project as I sort through boxes of parts and get things organized. The original oil cooler lines were damaged when I removed them. The oil cooler lines on the new motor are smashed as well. I bought a set of r1100r coolers and lines in case I wanted to go the scrambler route, but I’m rethinking that plan.

Adapting the wiring for new headlights and digital instruments seems like too much of a headache for phase 1. So I need to source a post 97 cooler and lines pretty quick.
    Krons likes this.
  4. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    So I’ve come across my first head scratcher. One of many, I assume. But I’ve got the patient laid out on the table and I’m untangling the wiring from the front subframe in preparation of lifting it onto the new motor, and I came across this nub in the harness. I can’t imagine this is how the stock harness is supposed to be, but I’m reluctant to cut off all the friction tape to see what’s inside.

Does this look familiar to any of you?

IMG_2373.JPG IMG_2372.JPG
  5. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Update: the wiring nub is stock.

Weird.
    greasyfatman likes this.
  6. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, is that the crazy ground-wire-bundle mess?

You shouldn’t drink too much beer while designing motorbikes, Günther!
    gofargogo likes this.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, stock, and normal.
    Here is one, of many, I rewrapped recently.
    [​IMG]

From what I can tell it was an assembly thing.
    gofargogo and Krons like this.
  8. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of...

@gofargogo did you re-wrap the wiring loom before putting it on the bike? A known thing with these rigs is that the wiring wrapping is rubbish. It would be easy to do it now when it’s still off the bike. A lot of options, like ’JimVonBaden’ above shows. I did it the Jap-style and used a roll of 3M el-tape ( spanish for ”tape” ;) ).
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Lifted the front subframe (and all the random shit dangling off of it) into place and slid the mounting studs through.

IMG_2374.JPG
  10. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    The wiring loom never came off the bike. It’s still attached to the front subframe, as are most of the major electrical components (abs, headlight, gauges etc).

Now that I have it up off the floor, I’ll be rewrappping portions of it. I’m afraid that if I take it all off I’ll never get it put back on correctly.
  11. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    I didn’t have a lot of time to work on the bike today, but now I have the major “messy” pieces up on the table and in relation to each other I’ll be sorting out what I can.

I’m itching to get the front end and center stand in place so it will be a self supporting tripod, but I haven’t found the A-arm mounting hardware yet.
  12. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    - do you have any kind of manual? If not, pm me your email and I’ll reply.
    - The Telelever mounting hardware is a super long bolt and another smaller bolt that goes in the other end of the super long bolt, kinda like your front axle, just different.
    - any luck with the oil pipe(s)? I have an extra pair, but might be a bit too expensive to ship...

these guys run a bike op-shop https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/parts/mke=bmw/mdl=r+1100+gs+r1100gs+94 might be the same thing with the shipping thou
    gofargogo likes this.
  13. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boonstra is a great resource
    gofargogo likes this.
  14. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link! I haven’t heard of those guys before.

I have a pair of manuals, Hanes and Clymer, and I’ve been saving fiche diagram to my iPad to review as I put things together. The challenge right now is that the parts are scattered across 5 or six boxes and milk crates. So it takes a while to dig through them. I found the mounting stud for the a-arm, but not the nut for the fork bridge. And I don’t have any shouldered M14 nuts in my collection of fasteners.

But my goal for today is to get the center stand on, and check the clutch and rear main seal. There are new ones in the boxes but I don’t want to replace them if they aren’t needed.

Amazon should be delivering a couple of rolls of Tesa wiring loom tape today or tomorrow so I’ll spend time re-wrapping the harness and cleaning electrical contacts.

I’m also supposed to be receiving my gsaddict rewired HES for my other GS today, so I’ll be taking that on too in the next day or so.

We’ve been having really glorious weather this last week and it’s been killing me to not be able to ride. Coastal California in springtime is hard to beat.
  15. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Glad you are not dead (both jokingly and seriously)

2. Waiting patiently for this phoenix to rise from the ashes..
    GotFog and gofargogo like this.
  16. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    1. Thank you, me too.
    2. Me too.

I'm going to try to give daily updates because that will also help me keep moving forward on this project. I remember a Peter Egan article in Cycle World many many years ago about how it doesn't really matter how much you get done in a day on a project bike so long as you get *something* done. So with that in mind, today has been spent on sorting parts, looking up stuff on ebay, and consolidating what I've already gotten started, such as torquing fasterners, cleaning electrical grounds, walking outside to look at my complete GS to see how things are routed. The forks have been slipped in place, but I still haven't found the nut to attach the bridge to the a-arm so I assume it's gone and will be ordering one from the dealer.
    GotFog, TimmyTheHog and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you need parts, give Joshua at The Parts Haus in Long Beach, CA a shout. I've been dealing with him for about twenty years. All around good guy.
    Phone # 562 254-0452
    greasyfatman and gofargogo like this.
  18. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    The local dealer had the telelever-fork bridge nut! So now the forks are on, but there is no front axle to be found in any of my boxes. No front axle, no wheel spacers, no speedo gear. So Operation Tripod is at a stand still for a few days until I can source some parts on eBay.

In the mean time I’m going to start sorting and collecting parts based on their location on the bike. The bench design allows to me put part boxes below, So I’m going to setup 4 boxes fore to aft.
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  19. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Can I assume that the parts #9-14 are part of the speedo drive on this fische? Looking at my front hub, I have #1, 2, 6, and 7, but nothing else. I've ordered an axle with spacer and bolt from ebay, but need to order a speedo drive as well. I also need to change out the bearings but that's a different issue.

[​IMG]
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but you will need 3,4,5 also, as well as 13 and 14.