Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    if it's really purchased for emergencies, i would keep it in my backpack. if it's just another convenience thing to tell the wife "i'm at camp, it's cold, my feet stink" it would continue to occupy a store shelf , safe in it's marketing materials.
  2. Outjustout

Outjustout My Compass is Pointless Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mainly for emergency or to help prevent an emergency communication. I.e. broken down twenty miles from civilization, not injured but could use a 4x4 uber. :rofl I do a lot of solo riding and camping. Very often cell service is limited or non existent for miles.
    ohgood likes this.
  3. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    One person's "just another convenience thing" is another person's wife assurance that everything IS ok and that you're not at the bottom of a gully, and unable to get to your 66i because both arms are broken. Or heaven forbid, worse.

If you've justified the purchase for emergencies, take full advantage and use the virtually free conveniences.

:ricky
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:

If you can find 20 miles from civilization, I'm jelly :-)
    Rips Millar and Outjustout like this.
  5. Outjustout

Oddometer:
    Definitely parts of Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of the Dakotas will make you feel pretty damn isolated. :kumbaya
    Rips Millar and ohgood like this.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Yup, lot's of places with no cell signal for many many many miles. Along with the good chance of never seeing a person all day.
    Rips Millar and Outjustout like this.
  7. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    ^ That's me. And that's the way I like it!

I take care of a cabin that's almost exactly 100 miles due south of my house. Most times when I drive to the cabin (so a 200 mile round trip) I will never see another vehicle or another person. Dirt roads all the way. There are some ranches located way off the main dirt road (far enough away that it is difficult to make out the buildings) but that's all. I pack a satellite phone in case I get in trouble because most areas of Nevada there is no cell signal.
    DSC00138eer.jpg
  8. Outjustout

Oddometer:
    If you want to test your metal against a high desert Nevada is about as good as it gets. There is pretty much nothing north of Las Vegas until you get to Boise. I've spent a fair amount of time in the van and riding out there and you are mostly alone. I'm pretty sure I'll do some more time in the central Nevada area this spring.
    Rips Millar likes this.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I hate you. Or I hate that fact that I moved from CO where I could find that....
    deserteagle56 and ohgood like this.
  10. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spent some time trying out several of the Android phone based systems a while back and in the end felt they are just not really ready for prime time. Berry Guy - hold your sarcasm. I like to make up my own tracks and add many waypoints for places, campgrounds, springs, etc. I like to make these plans up on garmin basecamp and shoot them to the Montana units and BMW Navigator 6 units we use on the 690's and GSA1200's. We might be out for 3 or 4 weeks and I might have 20 tracks for main routes and side trips. Might have waypoints over several states.

Didn't find a phone based system that would do all this. They all had limitations in one way or the other. Taking a trip and recording the track, the phones do great. Importing a day trip's worth of info - great. I do wish I could get the maps on my Garmin available from Backcountry Navigator XE for example - I think this one has promise - but it is still in development. Rever - simple to operate and super support, I liked it a lot but it didn't do what I needed - could load too few waypoints and tracks.

I don't like the Garmin maps as they lack a lot of info available elsewhere and are pretty dated - lots of dead ends out in the puckerbrush - but for me still the best I've tried.
  11. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Berry Guy...... :lol3
    250senuf likes this.
  12. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Scroll the avatars.
  13. ohgood

Oddometer:
    locus map pro - does it all. route plotting/planning for both on / off road, excellent database for handling hundreds of thousands of miles of tracks and hundreds of thousands of waypoints.. maps for days of every type imaginable. recording tracks is barely the beginning... once you use the offline route planning options of locus it will make basecamp look like a steaming pile of garbage. sharing/importing/exporting/saving/backingup the database of tracks is so incredibly simple/fast, again basecamp will be a steaming pile.

backcountrynavigator is sweet, but it's missing a lot of features, and it's track handling is very poor in comparison. i dig what they're doing with the XE version, that's pretty cool, lots of thinking going into that version.

osmand is good for on road, but missing a LOT of features for off road riding/exploring/camping/etc.... and it's track handling is pathetic.

check this out, every track you ever wanted in one simple database... never needing to plug into a desktop again to make room on the device (helllllllo garmin units with limited memory!) and it's easy to find EVERY ride/track/waypoint/route from years and years ago... pull them up and ride them again, or EDIT THEM RIGHT ON THE PHONE/TABLET without having to pull out a laptop/desktop to do the heavy lifting ;-)

Screenshot_20191228-051642.png Screenshot_20191228-051647.png Screenshot_20191228-051654.png Screenshot_20191228-051722.png

of course, if you still want to slog through the basecamp/cords/hoping process, you can export from basecamp to gpx/kml/kmz/whatever and import it to the phone apps like locus. it seems archaic/antique, after using fast modern stuff, but still works !
    scootertrog, worwig and Tripped1 like this.
  14. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I know you were referring to ohgood, just thought it was funny. I will say though, what you described is pretty easy to do on my phone and I still consider myself a newb with it. The longest trip I've done so far has been 12-days / 5,300 miles and it was a piece of cake getting that info into and out of the phone.
  15. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    OK, here's a question that might identify where I am coming from. I'm not trying to be funny here - just relate my experiences. I'm not seeing that many phones on handlebars being used for navigation way back in the puckerbrush. On highways, yes. Heck, I use Waze on the Beemer in conjunction with my Garmin BMW Navigator 6. Very useful on the road.

How easy is it to route a trip via Forest Service and 4-wheeler roads from, for example, Yellow Pine, Idaho to Avery, Idaho via Florence, Elk City, Magruder, back to LoLo Highway, take a right at Cayuse Lake and across to Kelly Creek CG, then down into Pierce and up to Avery - trying to make side trips to all the look outs on the way? Kind of following the BDR, but with options to see a little more. Wanting to take the road less traveled. I can see trying to create a route following a highway where the program autoroutes between points, but roads up in the mountains where you have to zoom in for detail to the point when a phone screen gives you so little real estate seems trying. With the detail to see the roads, I think I'd get lost and have a hard time navigating a good route/track over distance. A routing program option might not choose the option I'd like and making a track on the phone would be tough - I think.

I wish on the garmin handheld there was a better filing system for tracks and waypoints. I have to archive them by trip on the PC, just to have an easier time managing them on a trip. But then, I may be able to see the whole trip on the PC monitor in detail where its not going to happen on a phone.

Might just be my problem, maybe why I see it as important and others don't, but I really appreciate a 27" monitor when making up a set of detailed tracks for a trip like the above at home. If you can do all this on a phone, I respect your abilities.

Yes, Backcountry Navigator XE has promise as you can use a full size monitor to create and review trips and it synchs to the handheld, but they have a ways to go for all the features I'd like to see. Really a nice selection of maps that are more current than Garmin. I hope these guys are ultimately very successful. It might be my next "go to" option.

There is no free lunch.
    ohgood likes this.
  16. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ran the NMBDR, AdventurePalooza, and many custom trips with nothing more than Locus. Most of the time I used furkot or Basecamp to create those routes and trips and simply dropped them in Google drive. I sync my GPS folder from drive to my devices every hour when they're on wifi. I always have my tracks no matter what device I'm on.

I find Backcountry to be extremely limited and doesn't have a 10th of the features that Locus has. Gaia is a better app than Backcountry in my opinion.

You can very easily keep using the desktop apps you're used to. You don't have to go solely one or the other.
  17. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    What phone based apps have a PC routine to create routes/tracks? Does Gaia have that option? I bought Locus Pro, Gaia and Backcountry Navigator Pro/EX over the last several years and didn't see them as a replacement. If improved with the PC option, maybe I should look again.

I too could probably use a phone to hold existing routes and tracks loaded into it, and I probably should as a backup on long trips as I take a phone, but I still want to create trips on a full size monitor.

What android app would you recommend to just dump a .gpx trip from Garmin into as a backup? Might put it into a midsized tablet I use for Kindle so we could review the next day's ride with a little bigger screen.
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gaia has a web based app that allows you to do all the things you can do on the mobile app.

But you can still use the tools you're used to and export them to the phone.
  19. River-Runner

Oddometer:
    Thanks -
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    1 i'm not familliar with those trails/roads, but normally i'll create routes from similar sounding places... drop waypoints at "must visit" points and then find the most winding/elevation change roads/trails possible and create the route between points. it's a lot easier to plop a route down this way than it is to gather "interesting places to see" without local knowledge.
    2 that's easy... you just create more routes to more points. you can display LOTS of routes/tracks/waypoints all at the same time, navigate (turn by turn) one while several others are showing.
    3 yep, turn 'on' the discrovery route you want to use as a main/general trail to follow, along with your interesting spots you want to visit via other routes/tracks. you can plot it at home or do it on the fly, or BOTH at home AND on the fly, picking the most interetsing looking road/trail each time you get to an intersection.
    4 if it's highway droning along, i'll just use google maps and turn on the voice prompts. i really appreciate the "accident ahead, do you want to reroute?" part of that. i mean, yes, you CAN do it all in one app, but for the highway/interstate, meh, i'll just tune out until the fun roads/trails happen.
    5 i dunno, i just pan/zoom around as needed. are your maps / settings turning off roads when you zoom out ? does it need to be zoomed in to see roads ? i use 'map themes' in my app to turn on all the roads at every zoom level. zooming in /out doesn't change the number of roads diaplayed until you get out to like 20 or 50 miles, i don't remember. it's a LOT of detail.
    6 this might be related to 5, i think ?
    7 actually.... it's a LOT easier on the phone. you don't like the route, go to EDIT MODE and drag/drop (what garmin calls a shaping point i think) a waypoint to the road you want... the route changes accordingly and you follow the new route. i don't use auto-recalculation much if ever, because i don't ride much on the road anymore, but it's pretty easy to do.
    8 100% totally agree. they're HORRIBLE at handling tracks and waypoints. this is one of the biggest problems i have with those hugely old feeling units... and my main question is normally "WHY CANT YOUR SOFTWARE SORT AND ORGANIZE TRACKS AND WAYPOINTS ?" followed by "WHY DO YOU PUT SO LITTLE MEMORY IN YOUR UNITS ?"