Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, I'm converted, I'm shopping for another device. The S4 is compatible with more recent android versions, but upgrading an unsupported phone (no sim card, no provider) is proving more complicated than worth the effort. Its definitely possible, there are third party solutions, but I'd still have pretty out of date hardware with unknown compatibility issues.

I don't expect to have a traffic layer without a data connection. Maybe what I wrote was unclear; I want to have software that supports a traffic layer when I have a data connection available. In other words, I want to be able to use a data connection when there is one (and maybe just use google maps). However, I also want the ability navigate offline, as I often do not have a data connection. I also want software that supports following .gpx tracks (non-routable) for off-road riding. Doing all three will likely involve using multiple apps. I am starting from the beginning again with using a phone as a GPS, I am trying to sort out both hardware and software.

Thus my question. How do I keep the phone charged while riding?

Yup. See above. I've read how to do it via third party (a lot of people upgrade the OS on unsupported phones, and the internet is marvelous at documenting exactly what to do), but I no longer think its worth the effort.
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I am a certified Linux professional and I fought with that S4 getting it rooted.....

Absolutely.

I have it boiled down to basically Locus Pro and Gmaps, locus to do the "follow the line" offline/track and recording stuff, and Gmaps for when "get me gas" or "find a campground" just "go home" is the order of the night, and since ALL of my rides start and end traveling completely across the most populous major metro on the planet, that traffic layer is godsend for know which of four loop roads and 12 different highways are going to avoid the most traffic.

I do my planning on Furkot which also has a cell phone app, which I have in the past used to pull down planned routes that weren't initially required, because I was in the neighborhood and the guy "leading" the ride ......got tired of leading.

This is all over the board, I had been using those Sonys because they were cheap, plentiful (in Japan anyway) and I could get powered mounts for the external power. Bodis/ProClip USA make the mounts for reference.
    The Samsungs I have been using with traditional mini/C-USB. The ports have thus far held up, but I have went through an obscene number of cables, and to date I have only been using the Samsungs as backup for the big Sony I posted above or as a primary on shorter (read I am alone on the Super Duke) trips.

I am about to swap both of my bikes over to wireless charging, with the Samsungs, most likely my S7 though I was eyeballing the S8 Active which has further options as it has external pins as well.

There are also these jobs, which if you must use the USB port this definately seems like the way to go https://www.rammount.com/business/gds-technology

You can also roll your own mounting/hardmount system there are a number of examples on this board.

Indeed, particularly since S7 and S8s are so easy to get cheaply
    Am.E likes this.
  3. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    It did an APP update or a system update, they are different monsters.
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    System update. I've been in the Android world for 11 years. I do know the difference. I had a Sprint model for a couple of weeks. It wouldn't update. My Verizon model had no problems.
  5. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Interesting because none of mine did, in fact I had t search for it....even when I was in the US with a prepaid plan.
  6. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the help regarding charging the phone. I'm starting over with using a cell phone as GPS, and sometimes finding the information I want is difficult.

To sum up my current shortlist about hardware:
    Mounting and charging -

Juiced Squeeze - Wireless Charge Mount - I really like the idea of this thing, and think I'll give it a shot. At $180 its a more expensive approach. If I buy the Kyocera phone, the mount will cost more than double the cost of the device :p Potential issues: Maybe the phone will get too hot in hot weather, and maybe the charge rate won't keep up with demand, or maybe there will be some other issue. I might find out:) Reviews are good.
    https://shop-hondogarage.com/collec...s-charging-phone-mount?variant=17560263098419

Other useful hardware that came up in this thread:
    Wsken round magnetic cable
    Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount
    Bodis/ProClip USA mounts
    RAM GDS tech - https://www.rammount.com/business/gds-technology

Phones: (all IP68, rugged, waterproof, etc.) -

Kyocera Duraforce Pro - $50-90 used (ebay, swappa) - after researching, I understand why this is a favorite. Its my leading candidate. Its proven, many are using with no issues. I would prefer larger than a 5 in screen. Plenty of memory - 32GB internal memory + support for a 256GB card. I think it comes with Android 7? The Verizon version of the Kyocera Duraforce Pro uses the Qi wireless charging standard, the 3 other carrier specific versions use PMA wireless charging, which is not compatible with Juiced Squeeze - Wireless Charge Mount

Doogee s70 - ~ $230 on ebay - 6 in screen, android 8.1, Qi wireless charging, 64 GB +128 GB

Ulefone Armor 6E - ~$240 on ebay - 6.2 in screen, Qi 10W wireless charging, android 9.0, 64GB + 256GB

I'm not finding other phones under my $250 limit that meet the requirements: rugged, waterproof (IP68 etc.), 6 in+ screen, Qi wireless charging. It looks like $150 premium right now to buy a 6 in screen phone over the Kyocera.

That's all, I won't clog the thread further with my specific requirements, just thought this info might be useful for others.
    ProLeisure likes this.
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got a Ulefone Armor x5 yesterday and have been playing with it. It is only half inch larger than the kyocera, ships with Android 9, but doesn't provide wireless charging. It was only $140 though. I was searching for a 6.3-7 inch device that is rugged enough for GPS duty, but wasn't wanting to spend much more money on it.

I can say that I am impressed with the build quality and capabilities of the Ulefone, and wouldn't hesitate to buy a larger one if the price was right.
    Am.E likes this.
  8. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just snagged a Ulefone Armor 6E on ebay for $210. It remains to be seen how well that works out for me:) (not sure the premium is worth it, but I get a 6.2 in screen, android 9, and USB-C over the kyocera).
  9. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a blackview 6100 and i have been quite happy with it so far. no wireless charge, but enough battery to last one full day. then charge with wire as normal. paid 170 € from amazon.
  10. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was an option too. I wish this one had USB-C, but micro isn't terrible. The battery seems like it will last all day.
  11. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ProLeisure and Am.E like this.
  12. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was running GPS with screen on, downloading some maps using Locus and Oruxmaps, with screen brightness on full for a good chunk of the day, and had to do a little running around after work (tested this in my car).

I think this thing will last me a whole day of riding without being plugged in.

Screenshot_20200129-201422.png
  14. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's very interesting. I did not know this class of device existed, especially at that price point. Since I'm looking forward to the 6 in screen on the Chinese phone I just bought, I won't try it now, but I've saved that link for later. None of my searching turned up devices like this.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  15. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    My only concern is the spec sheet on this device. Android 6, 1gb ram, 16gb onboard (expandable yes, but 32 should be minimum), 800x480 resolution...while it's nice from the perspective that it's an alternative to a Garmin, it's not going to gain you that many benefits of the Android world with limited hardware specs. As developers change their target API for their apps, stuff will increasingly become incompatible and laggy.
    Am.E likes this.
  16. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a good concern, but its $150 and currently works with all the apps you care about. I’d pay $150 a year for new iterations that had faster hardware if it works actually does hold up the entire year. Time will tell.

There is another company that makes a similar more high end product called carpe-iter. I think its 7” Android with much higher specs, resistive touch screen, charging contacts, etc.
  17. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carpe Iter looks nice, but way too expensive.

I wish the spec of the Chinese GPS device was at least 3gb ram, and a slightly better resolution. At least Android 8.

To me the perfect size GPS is 6 inches. I am running 5.5 and it comes close to being perfect for what I need.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  18. Olythom

Olythom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    F083EF73-E4A2-4C87-AB63-B99FA34A27E6.jpeg I’ve been following this thread for a while. I have a tale to tell....

I’ve been concerned about using a phone in place of a dedicated gps unit due to all of the tech challenges surrounding the numerous apps that are required / suggested / liked / disliked / free / not free just to get a phone to function as a nav device. Going through the threads on advrider, I counted well over a dozen apps to choose from. Honestly, I would just prefer a unit that you could simply turn on and ride.

But, after looking at the low cost of a Kyocera phone and desiring a backup (addition?) to my existing Garmin, I decided to give it a shot.

I purchased a lightly used eBay special Kyocera Duraforce Pro for about $75. I chose osmand since it sounded relatively simple. It took a few shots to get settings sorted out but finally got it going. A couple of days ago, I took my bike on a 50 mile ride to my favorite independent mechanic for some testing and tuning. The Kyocera worked perfectly as a nav unit. Since I was leaving the bike overnight, my wife followed me the shop to give me a lift home. While I was tossing my riding gear into the back of my wife’s car for the drive home, I heard something hit the ground next to the car. I looked down and saw that I had dropped my LG cellphone. I picked it, set it in the car, climbed into the car and drove home.

What I did not know was that I had dropped the Kyocera as well as my LG but did not see the Kyocera as it had bounced out of sight (Under the car?) when it hit the ground. When we got home, my mechanic friend called and asked if I was missing a phone. He said he had found one where our car had been parked. I then realized it was the Kyocera.

I went back to the shop today to pick up my bike and he handed me the phone. I hit a button and the phone lit up. Everything works and it still had 18% battery remaining! The really remarkable thing is visible n the attached photo....

When I backed the car out of the parking spot, I ran over the phone! You can clearly see the tread pattern left behind on the phone screen! Other than a few asphalt scratches in the back of the phone, you would never know this phone was run over by a Scion Xb. The tread marks wiped cleanly off the glass screen.

Is the Kyocera Duraforce durable??? You bet! Does that battery last a long time??? You bet!
    Yooper_Bob, Albie, ohgood and 2 others like this.
  19. robSTv

robSTv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is just like the Chinavasion Rage I purchased 6 years ago, so they have been around for awhile. Very popular with STowners. Same exact housing and even has that little plastic pin in the back. Works O.K. with IGo/Primo and easy to update. A little slow at times. Perhaps latest version has faster processor. But, moving to TomTom Rider 550 as soon as they drop down to the $250 or less range again.
  20. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    my 5 year old kyocera updated it's apps yesterday... it still does NFC payments, great gps accuracy, long battery life, no worries about updates... even running old Android 5.x