Phone or GPS Unit?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by kderacing, Mar 2, 2019.

1. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have devices going back 10 years. Some of them get updates. Some of them don't. When a developer decides to stop supporting a particular OS level, you don't get updates for that app. Just because it works today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow. It all depends on the developer and the app. I have less of a concern of the OS, though, and more about the hardware specs.

If that device had 3+ GB of RAM, and 32GB of onboard storage (hell, 16 would be ok with expandable storage via SDCard), and a higher resolution, I could probably live with Android 6 for a couple of years.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    at this price ($150 shipped) id be ok buying a new one evertime they bumpbed the specs and they OS version :)
  3. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    My daily use DFP has 3GB RAM and 32GB storage. I also have a 32GB SD card mounted.
    My GPS only DFP has 2GB RAM and 32GB storage. I have a 64GB SD card mounted for maps, music, and podcasts.
    Not sure of the resolution, but know it's better than my eyes can see...
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's 1920x1080.
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:

Too bad my overpriced Garmin devices all failed in some way, I might still be using them. But my phones just work and tend to be more rugged.
  6. Vanilo Petrucci

Vanilo Petrucci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, because there seem to be different opinions on this: whenever a dedicated GPS device (such as Garmins and the lot) has satellite coverage, a smartphone with GPS function has the same, right?
    Let's not take ruggedness, battery life, ease of use, readability,... into account for a moment;
    it's not that riding in the Sahara desert with an iPhone or Kyocera for GPS is more prone to loss of satellite signal than a Zumo or other, thus inducing higher risk of getting lost?
  7. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    They all use the same satellites.
  8. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, phones have GPS hardware. In fact, phones are usually made to be world wide. So by law in some countries a phone will use GPS and GLONASS satellites for location. Everybody benefits from the added satellites. That gives you a lot of satellites, and great accuracy. The same may or may not be true of a stand alone GPS.
    Where the issue comes in, is because it is so easy to pull up an online map like Google on the phone. And why not, they work well, and provide a lot of information. But you need to be on a cell (or wifi) to keep getting the maps as you move. But it is easy to install maps like OSMand beforehand and then not need the cell/internet connection.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    record a track- that way no matter what map you've installed beforehand (or neglected to), you'll have a track and not be lost.

the reception of gps signals is only reception. it's not two way communication line a cellular signal. that why smartphones have the OPTION of doing extra stuff, whereas the stand alone units don't. both the stand alone units and phones/computers/tablets wait and listen for the exact same gps pings. those points have very simple data that the phones/stand-alones use to determine location themselves:
    satellite location
    time of transmission

the phone/gps uses that time-stamped ping, from multiple sources, to figure out where you are. all the cool math happens on the phone/gps so unless you are carrying a nice big backpack antenna, you'll not see a difference between them.

one side note:
    if you're using Android, turn off "high accuracy"and change it to "device only"or "gps only". you'll save a ton of battery life and get better location info at the same time, all while not sending your location info to Google ;-)
  10. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks all! Glad I can take that off my list.
    ohgood likes this.
  11. Vanilo Petrucci

Oddometer:
    "record a track- that way no matter what map you've installed beforehand (or neglected to), you'll have a track and not be lost."

That is actually good advice, never thought of it, thanks!

"one side note:
    if you're using Android, turn off "high accuracy"and change it to "device only"or "gps only". you'll save a ton of battery life and get better location info at the same time, all while not sending your location info to Google ;-)"

And this... Will try it next time around!
    ohgood likes this.
  12. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI these settings are removed in the android 9 update. I discovered many complaints when googling how to set my new android 9 device to "gps only," and realized I couldn't, which is why I couldn't find those settings in the first place.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    They aren't removed. Just renamed.

On one of my devices it's under
    Security and location

Turn it off and it will use GPS only.
    ohgood, jasiu, Am.E and 1 other person like this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    the simple stuff, like recording a track, is easy to neglect, while all this high flying map wizardry is happening.

the Garmin guys figured out this was a good idea a long time ago, and turn on track recording by default when powered on
  15. jasiu

jasiu Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like on different devices the option is call/access differently. On Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android 9 the option can be turn off by:
    1. Biometrics and security
    2. Under Privacy click Location
    3. Under Location services click Google Location Accuracy
    4. Turn OFF Improve Location Accuracy
    upload_2020-2-26_9-26-35.png
    ohgood, Got_Carbs? and flamingm0e like this.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    they really want your location info for Live Traffic, Ads, and stuff ;-)
    robSTv and Albie like this.
  17. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my Galaxy S8 and J3 with Android 9 they dont have an option that cuts out the Mobile network (Ie Google).

I only have the option to toggle WIFI and Bluetooth.

My S8 looses GPS signal a lot.
    I dont use the J3 enough to know.
    So to answer the question if my S8 works as well as my Garmins, the answer is NO!!!

Screenshot_20200227-075450_Settings.jpg
  18. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    On my S8 it is just as @ohgood shows. I think you need to go one level deeper. Scroll down from "Improve Accuracy" to "Google Location Accuracy". That is where you can turn off the cell, wifi, and BT.
    ohgood and Ogre_fl like this.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    when you find the settings that turn off cellular/wifi/Bluetooth/Google-reports and switches to GPS only, it will be much better.

also, battery saving needs to be turned off, both system wide and application optimization.

it wasn't like this on older android versions, they're trying really hard to convince people to
    a) report everything to google
    b) let the operating system control everything

find the settings, and change them
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Did you ever get GPS Status from the playstore, it sounds like your ephemeris data is jacked, I have literally a fleet of Samsungs from the S5 to S9+ and have never had an issue with GPS reception unless I was in a tunnel.

Now as to your issues with the accuracy settings, you DO indeed have the option, I will show you with screenies from my android 9 device. They buried the shit out of it.

From Biometrics and Security on the settings page Screenshot_20200229-094800_Settings.jpg

Long press location
    Screenshot_20200229-094818_Settings.jpg

From here your workflow forks
    Screenshot_20200229-094829_Settings.jpg

Improve Accuracy allows you to toggle the wifi/bluetooth, you found that right?

NOW tap Google Location History, which should look like this
    Screenshot_20200229-094852_Google Play services.jpg

That is the toogle that you seek.

Then go here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en and download that, update your GPS cloud location, and make sure that you are receiving as many satellites as you should be.
    fierstf and ohgood like this.